How to study official radical names?

I’ve been studying for the kanji kanken recently (idk if there’s much reason to officially take it, but it’s fun anyway), and starting with level 9 they ask you about the official names of radicals used in certain kanji. Is there any way to efficiently study this, like an anki deck or something?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it isn’t on the level 9 exam. At level 8, I think they provide you with the name of the radical and what it looks like, so the name doesn’t really matter in that sense because you can see what they mean anyway. But you can see and learn the names as you go along if you wish. That’s how it works on the official Kanken practice game for Nintendo Switch anyway!

1 Like

If it is possible then you should try buy some kanken prep materials that native kids use - depending on your situation maybe this is tricky though. If you live in Japan then just go to a book shop and buy one of the drill books. There are apps available on the Japanese playstore as well. You can also just google 漢検 〇級 練習問題 or something - there are a lot of sites with all the information you need. Honestly this is a topic that is better dealt with by using the Japanese side of the internet.

I don’t know about anki decks but at those low levels it probably is pretty easy to make your own as you go, right? There aren’t that many radicals to begin with.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s efficient, since there is no test mode for the official names of the radicals, but it does teach them:

This version of the app has levels 10 through the two level 2s. Unfortunately it doesn’t have the two level 1s. I found it to be a fun way to study Kanji, so it might still be worth a try (even if you don’t like the way it teaches radicals).

There’s a free version (not DX) of the app with some of the levels, and another paid version with the rest. The DX version contains both apps in one. Anyway, you can check out the free version to see if you like it.

HTH!

2 Likes