How to unlearn grammar

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn’t formulate a search that got me the answer I needed…

Basically I did some lessons that, following a spate of unsuccessful reviews, clearly haven’t sunk in. What I’d like to do is to send those handful of grammar points back to my lessons pile so I can learn then over again.

Is the best/only way to do this to click on the “remove from reviews” button? Does that reset the point back to an ‘un-learned’ state (which is what I want)?

3 Likes

I read the title and immediately thought of the memory zapper from the men in black movies… potentially overkill for this situation :laughing:

9 Likes

Mmm can think of three things

• ensure that you have ghost mode on, leave them as it and just go through the ghost review process,
  • do some ad-hoc cram sessions on these
  • reset them as you’ve outlined

For tricky ones that aren’t sticking, I find that a combination of the first two has sufficed (for me)

1 Like

Oh what I do because it happens to me too is I just wait until I get a review on that lesson. Get it wrong even if I brute force memorized the lesson and then push the show grammar information button. Scroll all the way down and push reset. You completely reset it as if you had just added that grammar bit. I think you also lose the xp but who cares about that anyways we are trying to learn not get a big number next to the name. I wouldn’t bother searching them out though the reviews you don’t actually know will come to you.

2 Likes

Yeah you can do this, if you remove and then re-add it will effectively be like you’re starting that point from scratch. Usually a combo of ghosts + ability to cram help fix the short-term grasp of the problem, but what you wrote is the nuclear option for when things don’t go so right and probably the right call here if it’s still early on.

1 Like

I believe you have to reset it though. If you remove from reviews and then add it back it keeps the SRS interval.

You may be correct! I don’t have any SRS 1 or so items to test it out on and am too scared to do it to any others LOL :joy:

1 Like

So I chose “remove from reviews” and it did what I needed, which is to take it from my review pile and put it back in my lessons pile.

Thanks for all the replies and advice!

3 Likes