How to use nakute?

I am a little confused on nakute. Bunpro says that it means to not; not; and; but I sometimes see it take different nuances in sentences. How will I know when to use it when speaking and writing and also what nuance it will take when reading? Thank you! :grinning:

There’s quite a few ways なくて can be in a sentence. It’s kind of a building block for a few other grammar points you will see later on. I’m not the most 上手 of people studying Japanese but I hope I can help a bit!

So, for starters, なくて itself can can turn an adjective negative while using two of them. You’ve already studied this one!

For example:
これは高くなくて赤い車。
This is an inexpensive red car.

Theeeeen if you add「もいい」 it can be used to say something is “okay” to do or just okay in general.

For example:
車は高くなくてもいい。
It’s okay if the car isn’t expensive.
高い車を買わなくてもいい。
It’s okay to not buy an expensive car. (You don’t have to buy an expensive car.)

And theeeeeeen when you add「はいけない」it means you must do something.

For example:
あなたは高い車を買わなくてはいけない。
You MUST buy an expensive car.

If you search for なくて in all of the grammar points you’ll see there’s quote a few.

When you start encountering these grammar points more frequently you won’t even need to consciously discern them anymore, you’ll just automatically “get” it. It all comes down to time, exposure, and practice!

It’s kind of like how as you get more proficient reading English you don’t read things phonetically anymore and just know the word immediately upon looking at it. The more you encounter a particular grammar point, the more you’ll be able to subconsciously understand it.

I hope that helps!

9 Likes

yes this really helps! I appreciate the quick response!