Huge Vocab Update, Feb 17/2022

Hell yeah, what a great update! N4 Vocabs are superb, but the “Split Reviews” feature is exactly what I needed. Now I don’t have to navigate to the decks page anymore to do my vocab reviews first.

2 Likes

Amazing work guys! Bunpro has so much potential…

3 Likes

The wanikani sync doesn’t seems to work for n4 deck:

I’ve forced a refresh but it doesn’t work either.

4 Likes

This is exactly what I came here to say. There is literally no way to get to the decks page from the main Bunpro dashboard… I had no idea either that there were vocab decks (or the Genki hybrid decks!) until I opened the notification for this post. Also, bookmarking a vocab deck doesn’t seem to do anything – there’s a “Bookmarks” section under the “Content” drop down, but it only lists your grammar bookmarks. I was getting a bit frustrated when I couldn’t find a way to navigate back to the N5 deck without going through this post.

I was also curious: right now you can only have one “main” deck so you have to choose a grammar or a vocab deck. Are there any plans to possibly change this to have a main grammar and a main vocab? Or will it always be set up so you have to go to the other decks you are learning and select to study from there? Once there is a link to the decks from the dashboard, it won’t be so bad, but would still be nice to have both decks available from the dash.

7 Likes

Hi. Thanks for the great work!
But for some reason yomichan lookup doesn’t work correctly anymore on the whole website. Seems like the scan is happening but the popup doesn’t show up. Is it just me? I use it to create Anki cards quickly.

2 Likes

Hi :smiley: !

First of all, thank you so much, your work is amazing <3 !

Maybe someone else already asked the question, but I’m curious about how complete are those decks :slight_smile: ?
I never tried to attempt a JLPT test, but I guess there is no “public official JLPT vocab list” right ? :o
I was just wandering if it was written somewhere som information about how you found all that vocabulary ? :smiley:

Kind regards :blush:

2 Likes

I had the same issue first trying to find it. It’s not made terribly clear anywhere, but go to settings > general and select ‘yes’ under “opt in” to bunpro beta.

5 Likes

@Ivers92 @Lunafeather Decks are currently a beta feature, which means that you will have to opt in to the beta testing from within your profile settings if you wish to use them. Alternatively, you are more than welcome to wait until they are a standard feature, and come out of beta.

It is our second major vocab release, but was poor forethought on my part for not including that information in this post as well. Sorry for the confusion, and I hope that you both enjoy the vocab!

5 Likes

Wanikani sync should be enabled relatively soon, there is just a tiny bit of work that needs to be done on the back end so that it crosschecks with Wanikani in the same way as our N5 vocab does.

@whinette

9 Likes

Hi @Gagatebayo, unfortunately there is no official list of words for N5, but there are many other books/websites etc that have their own lists of words that come up the most frequently etc.

Being 1100 words, our N5 deck is actually quite large compared to most other websites (800 is the standard number). This is mainly due to us including the vocabulary from Genki as part of N5 and N4. As for where we got the lists from, they are a combination of a few different sources, including online catalogues of old tests, several textbooks, and other lists available freely through dictionary apps like Takoboto.

7 Likes

Oh, I see, thank you! I didn’t realize that I would be able to even see the decks at all without being opted in for the beta – I turned that on and now have the deck option right on my dashboard, so thanks!

One small thing, will there ever be an option to randomize the vocab decks? Learning alphabetically seems like it uhhh might get old lol

6 Likes

Hi!!
Would it be possible to separate review summaries between grammar and vocab? It’s good to see both of them in the same place, but I want to be able to see my correct answer percentages for grammar only as well as vocab only.
Thanks so much for even putting in vocab, it’s been such a good help, thank you again!

6 Likes

We haven’t discussed this as a possibility yet, but it is something that we may consider in the future. The main reason that it is alphabetically (Japanese alphabetically) is because this will expose users to the same kanji in several different uses back to back at a little bit higher levels.

We figured that this would help to reinforce the meanings of kanji that appear commonly, and the range of nuances that they can have.

6 Likes

This is awesome. I love Bunpro’s review system, so being able to do vocab here on top of grammar is great.

The Split Reviews setting was the first thing I went looking for, so glad we have that option.

In terms of the header, I’m really used to that review button sending me to the grammar review page. I could be in the minority, but I never intend to mix grammar and vocab reviews. Could we keep that as a grammar only button? If an additional button would clutter up the header too much, I’m fine with using the bigger one on the dashboard for vocab reviews.

I’d also like to be able to view the statistics separately and not “pollute” my grammar ones.

Also, is there (or will there be) a Cram option for the vocab decks? I had avoided that feature for the longest time, but ever since trying it out, it’s my go-to way to getting over difficult to remember grammar items. I’d love to have it for vocab items as well.

I hope none of that sounded like criticism. This is great, and thank you for all of your hard work!

7 Likes

Great stuff! Im always impressed by how quickly you all get things done :+1:
The ability to split the review queues makes it alot easier to estimate how long it would take to finish all of the reviews :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks for everything :smiley: !

• The time you took to answer me.
  • The devotion of your team.
  • The amazing tool that you provide.

I can’t wait to learn those vocab :heart: !

5 Likes

Maybe I’m simply missing the option, but it would be great to have an option to show all furigana upon answering a vocab question correctly. If there was a way to self report my answer as incorrect (maybe I got the reading wrong but the translation right) I feel like that would be a great help!

Amazing update, thank you Bunpro team for all the work you do <3

4 Likes

No it’s not just you, I just noticed it recently. If you use the arrows to go from point to point, yomichan will scan but not pop up. If you refresh the page, it will work as intended but the second you go to the next lesson, it won’t pop up until you refresh. Seems to be occurring in reviews too.

@Jake I know this isn’t the bug thread but figured we’d ping you anyways, sorry!

4 Likes

Maybe this is for the future, but was wondering if there was a way to quickly add vocab words I know already? So far, I’ve been just clicking each one manually and then adding to review and checking off the “I know this”. For the few hundred that I know, it’s getting tiring to keep adding them this way instead of one mass “Check off the ones you know” type of thing.

8 Likes

One suggestion I have for streamlining words you already know is to have the “I already know this” button in the lesson screen, so it burns that word and brings up the next one in line

10 Likes