If you don't like Anki, consider giving Mochi a try

In case you think I suggested Mochi as a superior product, I didn’t. Actually, I pointed out that it’s (also) missing features which become crucial at some point.

The thing is that there is no actual (easier to use, more modern) real alternative, when there should be. There’s either Anki (convulted, tries to do everything) or stuff like Kitsun, Mochi, Quizlet, Bunpro vocabs etc. (half baked and most of the time impossible to extend). Pretty sure it’d be possible to have something in between.

Regarding the (probably arbitrary) 5MB limit, yeah, that’s BS. And considering like half of the Japanese decks don’t work because of this (probably also true for at least Chinese), it’s likely doing some real damage to the product.

1 Like

I apologize for thinking that you suggested Mochi as a superior product.

It looks like we are on the same page.
Yes, Anki might be overwhelming but being able to change so many things is actually good.

I first started off learning how Anki works, then what the best settings are, then I researched studies that show in which intervals you retain most of the information in your long term memory.

But in the end all you need is to look at your statistics, and to know how to adjust the settings. So that in the end your young/mature cards stay at a 95% correct answered percentage.

What I use are these settings:
For new Cards: Learning steps “5m 20m”, Graduating interval “1”, Easy interval: “5”.
Lapses: Relearning steps “10m”, Minimum interval “1”, Leech threshold “99” (you don’t want any leech cards) Leech action: “Tag only”.
Advanced: Max interval “36500”, Starting ease “2,50”, Easy bonus “1,40”, Interval modifier “1”, Hard interval “1,20”, New interval “0”.

I hope that maybe this can help you, and I hope that you can understand that the reason why Anki has so many features is, that everyone learns different, and you need to find what is best for you and adjust it to that.