Incorrect grammar?

I just got が居る and が有る as grammar lessons, and by my humble amateur judgement, this is incorrect. It is two rules jumbled together. The actual grammar that should be taught is just 居る and 有る, the が in front is not supposed to be part of this particular grammar point. That one was in earlier lesson and in sentence becones part of the word before, not after.

2 Likes

You’re right that が is postpositional and not prepositional (comes after the word it marks, not before) however the lessons you’re talking about are intended to teach the pattern noun+がいる・ある as a whole. As these are N5 lessons I would guess it is to reinforce the connection between the correct particle and the appropriate verb which is something that can be confusing for new learners. The grammar itself is not incorrect though; it’s just a choice to teach that specific sentence pattern that way.

12 Likes

As @CursedKitsune said, this is not incorrect. I’ve always seen grammar points that are usually encountered with a specific particle, such as these two, being taught as a set (particle + grammar). Teaching them separately would create more confusion than there already is in regards to when to use what particle, I would assume.

5 Likes