Information in the Wild Week 10: Signs around the Pokemon Center at Ikebukuro

Week Ten!! If you don’t know what’s happening, main post here.
Links to the previous weeks can be found in the main post also.

• Tldr: Quick daily practice of using real Japanese to understand and acquire information. The focus being on understanding what is being conveyed sufficiently to interact with or respond to it.

We’re back and we’re headed to the Pokemon Center at Sunshine City in Ikebukuro. A popular destination for tourists and locals alike. Let’s see if we will have any trouble navigating the store.

Day 1:

A request right off the bat, what is it asking us to do (or not do)?

Day 2:

A bright red block to catch out attention, what is this about?

Day 3:

A promo leading up to Christmas, what are the conditions for this promo and what do you get?

(Could be good practice for quickly discerning what you need to read vs. extra information)

Day 4:

A sign you encountering in the restrooms, what is the request?

Day 5:

Seem to be an interactive activity to do within the store, how do you play and do you get anything for playing?

パルデア is Paldea (region name)

Day 6:

A short one to balance out the long one from yesterday. I think this is a sign that you won’t see in many stores. What does the sign tell us?

Day 7:

Another sign in the restaurants. Anything we need to know?

bonus:
One of the information panels around the store for the investigation activity from day 5.

Check in if you’re participating this week

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

4 Likes

Sample Answers (Updated the following day)

Day 1

Day 2
  • The above item is limited to one per customer
  • The list is not exclusive and this limit can apply to items not listed also depending on the situation

バチュル seems to the name of a pokemon
@cjhey 's Day 2 answer has a picture of the product, if interested.

Day 3
  • Get a special gift box as a present when you buy specified Pokemon games between Dec 3rd and Dec 25th.
  • Games included in promo: Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, Pokemon Arceus, Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shiny Pearl, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee, New Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue DX
Day 4
  • Request to only flush nothing other than the provided toilet paper into the toilets to prevent clogging the toilet. Trying to flush a large amount at once may also cause clogging so we should be mindful of that also.
Day 5

A Pokemon research activity

How to Play:

• Get a Paldea Region Pokemon Research Notebook and look for the Pokemon information panels in the store
  • Using the information from the research panels, discover the keywords hidden in the Research Notebook. (This likely makes more sense if we physically had the Notebook)
  • When you have found all the keywords, report to a staff member. Pick a Pokemon and read out the research results including the keyword and you get a Pokemon investigation completion sticker!

Quite sure せいたいキーワルド is 生態キーワルド

Day 6
  • This is merchandise. If you wish to purchase this please bring it to the checkout counter.
Day 7
  • This toilet paper is made from recycled office paper from Sunshine City

Suggested format for posting your answers
Will make it easier to distinguish from questions and discussions

Day 1

Request when taking pictures
Please refrain from shooting videos.
When you take pictures, please try not to capture the other guests.

So this was easy to get the gist of, but the formalities made it harder. For instance, though at a glance 配慮 surely means “concern” or “consideration”, I wasn’t actually sure, so I did look it up. Same with 控え頂きます, which I had to look up for confirmation.

Day 2

I haven’t watched Pokemon since the first seasons, so I’m not very aware of the pokemon out there. Turns out バチュル is a pokemon! The red block says “Up to one per person” I suppose, but the 点 there kinda tripped me up. Not sure what a ネットバッグ is, but a quick image search revealed what it was.
So you can only take one of these:

Day 3

When you buy a selected Switch game (software!), you get a gift box! I hadn’t realized there were already so many Pokemon games released on the Switch. That’s 7 different titles you can choose from to get the gift box!

Day 4

At a glance, they’re saying they don’t want people to flush anything other than toilet paper in the toilet.
A quick translation:
The pipes and the toilet get clogged, so please don’t flush anything but the provided/installed toilet paper. Flushing a large quantity of toilet paper can also be a cause of clogging, so please be mindful.
I did have to look 備え付ける, because I couldn’t make sense of it as a single concept.

Day 5

So you have to first procure a Paldea pokemon research notebook and find the research panel inside the shop. All the necessary info for the research is written on there. Then, you have to examine the pokemon and discover the “ecology keyword” to get the key. Once you know all the ecology keywords, talk to the boys or girls who work there and you’ll get a perfect pokemon investigation sticker.
I’m sure I got something wrong here and I did look up 入手する and せいたい in order to make sense of what I made sense of. The extra info in points 2 and 3 felt a bit tiring, so I just didn’t try to look things up there.

Day 6

These are products for sale. Please wait at the register if you want them.
I had to check レジ of all, haha.

Day 7

This toilet paper is made of recycled office paper and others collected by Sunshine City?
Don’t want to check with a translator, but this is what I kind of understand.

Bonus

I can’t find an ecology keyword! Don’t think I’d get the stickers from the game :frowning:

2 Likes
Day 1

First look:
Request for when taking a photo
For filming, ‘something’ please (couldn’t read the 2 key kanji in the middle).
when taking a photo, make sure other guests aren’t in the picture (or something like that).

Looking further:
Request for when taking a photo
Please don’t take video.
When taking photos, please make sure not to include other guest in our picture.

(For video: maybe ‘wait your turn’ in reference to the next bit, to make sure you don’t film others?)

Day 2

First look:
Netbag batch? Probably the product name?
For the above product, One per customer

Quick translation:
Still cant translate the Katakana beyond ‘netbag something’, still assuming its the product name
For the above mentioned product, Limited to one per person is available to purchase

Day 4

First look:

Please: Because of * some * reason/cause, please don’t flush the supplied toilet paper. Additionally, large amounts of toilet paper in one go also cause the problem, so please be careful/pay attention.

Ok no, don’t flush anything OTHER THAN the supplied toilet paper (I hope)

Translation:

Because it causes the toilet and drains to get blocked, please don’t flush anything other than the supplies toilet paper. Additionally, flushing large amounts of toilet paper in one go can also cause blockage.

Day 5

First look:

Paldea area Pokemon investigation (search?)

How to play:

1. Hand in(?) the Paldea area Pokémon search note, then around look for the research panel

The research panal has the necessary characteristics of the Pokémon written down.

1. look up the pokemeon, discover the keyword to unlock the investigation

(I’m just gonna skip the details for now)

1. once you have all the keywords, inform the Pokémon centre brother and sisters (? Sounds kinda creepy)

Within 4 creatures, choose your favourite one’s keyword to input/write?, then get a Pokémon centre sticker!

Translation:

Paldea area Pokemon investigation
How to play:

1. (入手 = Obtain) Obtain the Paldea Pokémon investigation note, looking inside the centre, lets find the research panel.

(情報 = information)The research panel has the information you need research the Pokémon

1. Investigate the Pokémon, and discover the keywords that are key to the investigation.

2. Once you know all the key words, report it to the Pokémon centre brothers and sisters

From the 4 creatures, choose your favourite and report the keyword, and you will get a Pokémon investigation completion sticker!

(I can’t really put the whole section “ふめた調査内容を読み上げて報告する” into intelligible English, but I get it, its just being really polite about it)

That was a long one, but I think I did ok without support, I think I would have got a sticker! TBH though with the writing style and furigana its clearly aimed at kids haha!

Day 6

First look:
This product (this is a product lol), if you want one, please take it to the register

2 Likes

Welcome back みんな!

Day 1

First scan:
Please refrain from shooting video. When taking photos please be mindful of other guests.

Translation:
撮影時のお願い
When Taking Photos:

動画撮影はお控え頂きますようお願いい致します。
Please refrain from taking/shooting video.

写真撮影時、他のお客様が映り込まないようご配慮お願いいたします。
When taking a photo, please take care not to include other guests. (But more literally something like “Don’t get other guests caught up in your photo.” or “Please don’t take photos of other guests.” )

Day 2

First scan:
Limit one per customer. Products not listed can also be limited depending on the situation.

Translation:
ネットバッグバチュル
Net Bag (Bachuru?)

上記の商品は、お一人様1点までの購入とさせていただきます。
For the above mentioned product, please limit one per customer.

記載のない商品も、状況により制限をさせて頂く場合がございます。
Additionally, products not listed can be limited as the situation calls for.

*I didn’t know what ネットバッグバチュル is, Google shows some kind of mesh bag.

Day 3

First scan:
Looks like you get a gift box with the purchase of any of the following Nintendo Switch titles:

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus
  • Pokemon Brilliant Diamond Shining Pal
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield
  • Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu or Let’s Go Eevee
  • New Pokemon
  • Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Rescue DX

The promo runs from 12/3 to 12/25.

Translation:
対象のNINTENDO SWITCHソフトの購入で、ギフトボックスをプレゼント!
Get a gift box with the purchase of the following (target) Nintendo Switch titles (software)!

実施日時:12月3日(土)〜12月25日(日)
Applicable dates: 12/3 (Saturday) - 12/25 (Sunday)

開けるとポケモンたちが飛び出す、にぎやかなアートがデザインされているよ!
When you open it, there is a lively design of Pokemon flying/jumping around!

対象商品
Target Products:

• 「ポケットモンスタースカーレット・バイオレット」

• 「POKEMON LEGENDS アルセウス」

• 「ポケットモンスターブリリアントダイヤモンド・シャイニングパール」

• 「ポケットモンスターソード・シールド」

• 「ポケットモンスター Let’s Go ピカチュウ・ポケットモンスター Let’s Go イーブイ」

• 「NEW ポケモンスナップ」

• 「ポケモン不思議のダンジョン救助隊DX」

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

• Pokemon Legends Arceus

• Pokemon Brilliant Diamond Shining Pearl

• Pokemon Sword and Shield

• Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu or Let’s Go Eevee

• New Pokemon Snap

• Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Rescue DX

*I can make out some of the smaller print that says something about it being a sample image and the software being sold separately (i.e. there are no games in the gift box) and something about asking staff for confirmation and something about no returns or exchanges.

Day 4

First scan:
Please don’t flush anything but toilet paper because it can clog the pipes.

Translation:
お願い
Please (Request)

トイレや排水管が詰まる原因となりますので、備え付けのトイレットペーパー以外は流さないでください。
Because it can clog (stuff up) the toilet or pipes, please do not flush anything aside from the provided toilet paper. (Literally it says something closer to “since it can become the cause of”.)

また、一度に大量のトイレットペーパーを流すことも詰まる原因となりますのでご注意ください。
Additionally, since flushing a large amount of toilet paper at once time can also clog up the toilet, please be careful.

*:hugs: All by myself today! :partying_face:

Day 5

First scan
It’s a Pokemon scavenger hunt. You have to use the Pokemon research panel to find a special keyword. Once you do, report to a staff member and you can get a sticker.

Translation
パルデア地方ポケモン調査実施中
Paldea Area Pokemon Investigation Underway

遊び方
How To Play

1。「パルデア地方ポケモン調査ノート」を入手して、店内の「リサーチパネル」を見つけましょう!!
「リサーチパネル」には、ポケモンたちの調査に必要な情報が書かれているよ!
1.Get a Paldea Area Pokemon Investigation Notebook, and (let’s) find the research panel in(side) the store!! The research panel contains information needed to investigate the Pokemon! (Literally, information needed to investigate the Pokemon is written.)

2。ポケモンを調べて、調査のカギとなる「せいたいキーワード」を発見しよう!
「リーサーチパネル」の情報をもとに、「パルデア地方ポケモン調査ノート」に登場するポケモンたちを観察して、気になる部分をさわってみよう!隠された「せいたいキーワード」が発見できるかも!?
2. Research Pokemon and (let’s) discover the keyword that is/will be the key to the investigation!
With the research panel information, observe the Pokemon that appear in the Paldea Area Pokemon Investigation Notebook and try touching them! Will you be able to discover the hidden keyword?

3。すべての「せいたいキーワード」がわかったら、ポケモンセンターのおにいさん・おねえさんに報告しよう!!
4匹の中から、キミの好きなポケモンを1匹えらんで、「せいたいキーワード」を含めた調査内容を読み上げて報告すると、「ポケモン調査完了ステッカ」をゲットできるよ!
Once you’ve found out all the keywords, report to a Pokemon Center older brother or sister! (Not literally, they just mean staff members.) Choose one Pokemon that you like from within the four, report back with the keyword, and you can get a Pokemon Investigation Completed Sticker!

On the bottom it says something like you can only do this once per person per day.

*Had to look up 実施中 (carrying out), 入手(obtain/get), せいたい, which I couldn’t really figure out without the kanji, so I just left it as “keyword”. My best guess is that since the subject is Pokemon, it might have to do with ecology or habits of an animal.

Day 6

First scan
This is merchandise. If you like it please take it to the register.

Translation
こちらは商品です。
This is merchandise/product.

ご希望の方はレジお持ちください。
If you like/wish/desire (to purchase it), please take it to the register.

*:hugs: All by myself today! :partying_face: (And I’m REALLY curious what the product is!)

Day 7

First Scan
I think it’s saying something about the toilet paper being recycled from office paper, etc.

Translation
このトイレットペーパーはサンシャインシティで回収されたオフィスペーパー等を再生利用したものだ。
This toilet paper is recycled from office paper etc. collected in Sunshine City.

Looked up 回収 (collected) just to be sure.

BONUS:
First Scan
Paldea Region Pokemon Investigation.

RIKIKIRIN Long-Neck Pokemon, Type: Normal/Esper; Height 3.2M, WeightL 160.0kg

Then something about evolution/form, something about original body and heads and two stomaches…increasing Esper Energy… ?

The next part says something about the Pokemon involved in the investigation and other Pokemon with special symbols appearing. And something about waiting to meet many Pokemon in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.

Translation
パルでア地方ポケモン調査
Paldea Region Pokemon Investigation

リキキリン、くびながポケモン
タイプ:ノールマル・エスパー
高さ:3.2m
重さ:160.0kg
RIKIKIRIN, Long-Neck Pokemon
Type: Normal/Esper
Height 3.2M
WeightL 160.0kg

キリンリキがパルデア地方で進化を遂げた姿。本体の頭としっぽの頭が、進化により一体化、2つの脳が太い神経で接続された結果、エスパーエネルギーが増幅されたようだ。
The evolved form of KIRINRIKI in the Paldea Region. Because its original head and tail are unified in the evolution process, its two brains have a strong sensitivity as a result and it seems its esper energy is amplified.

今回調査するポケモン以外にもパルデア地方には、さまざまな特徴を持つポケモンが登場するよ。「ポケットモンスタースカーレット・バイオレット」でたくさんのポケモンたちとの出会いが、キミを待っているよ!
Outside of (in addition to) the Pokemon included in this investigation, Pokemon with various abilities appear in the Paldea Region. *In Pokemon in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet many Pokemon are waiting to meet you!

*Looked Up:
遂げる (to accomplish)
増加 (amplification)
一体化 (unification)
神経 (nerves, sensitivity)
接続 (connection)

*Google Translate says “Encounters with many Pokémon in “Pocket Monsters Scarlet Violet” are waiting for you!” which probably makes a bit more sense.

Thanks again to @ThousandJP for another fun week. お疲れ様でした!また来週!

3 Likes

Yeah I think once someone gets use to the keigo in these signs they become much easier to chunk and understand quickly.

1 Like