Information in the Wild Week 11: A mailbox full of flyers

Week Eleven!! If you don’t know what’s happening, main post here.
Links to the previous weeks can be found in the main post also.

• Tldr: Quick daily practice of using real Japanese to understand and acquire information. The focus being on understanding what is being conveyed sufficiently to interact with or respond to it.

This week we will be emptying the mailbox and taking a look at different leaflets that you may find in there. In your native language you can likely extract the necessary information at a glance and decide whether it is relevant to you. Let’s give that a shot in Japanese!

Day 1:

Starting off with a light one
Who:
What:
When:
Where:
Why:
How:

Can keep proper nouns in Japanese

Day 2:

Who is this from?
What is it about?
How to respond if it is relevant to you?

Day 3:

What is it?
When is it available?
Which cities does this apply to?

Day 4:

What are the 4 example scenarios that you may need their services for?
What three points have they mentioned that makes them a good choice?
How do you make an appointment if you need their service?

Day 5:

What is the name of the shop?
What is on special and at what price?
What is the special that you can get for 400yen?
Do they have parking if you go by car?

Day 6:

More handwritten style Japanese :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Who is the target audience for this leaflet?
What do you get?
How much will it cost?

Full leaflet for reference if interested

Day 7:

What is it?
When?
If it is relevant, how do you participate?

Quick Update: My original plans for week 12 has changed but I think the new plan will be better. There will be a bit of a delay.

Check in if you’re participating this week

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

5 Likes

Sample Answers (Updated the following day)

Day 1

Who: 滝山団地自治会
What: Collection of old newspaper, old magazines and books, cardboard, mixed paper, old cloth
When: A little past 8am
Where: Seems to be just outside the building
Why: Collection for recycling and reuse of material
How: Prepare it and have it outside

Day 2

Who is this from?

• 株式期会テレポ

What is it about?

• Postal Delivery Recruitment
    → Deliver mail and leaflets in your designated area
    → Salary: 4hours/day for 8 days 40,200yen or 8hours/day for 16 days for 166400yen
    → Free to decide own schedule

How to respond if it is relevant to you?

• You can go to the nearest branch or by LINE or e-mail
Day 3

What is it?

• A delivery service for purchase you made at the store
    When is it available?
  • Everyday in two delivery time slots. Orders made by 1:30pm and 3:30pm will be delivered between 2-4pm and 4-6pm respectively.
    Which cities does this apply to?
  • Kodaira City, Higashikurume City, Nishitokyo City

Website with some extra information about the Koadira City location.

Day 4

What are the 4 example scenarios that you may need their services for?

• If there is a problem with your gas stove
  • If you have problems with Hot water equipment failure
  • Toilet overflowing
  • Leaking faucets

What three points have they mentioned that makes them a good choice?

• Same day service available
  • Fees that are easy to understand
  • Our staff is equipped with both technical skills and customer service skills

How do you make an appointment if you need their service?

• Through the web or by phone
  • If calling toll-free number, press 1 for gas-related equipment repairs and press 2 for water-related repairs
Day 5

What is the name of the shop?

• 炭火焼肉いち

What is on special and at what price?

• 1000 yen instead of 1500 yen

What is the special that you can get for 400yen?

• You can try all the different kind of internal organs (ホルモン) for 400yen each

Do they have parking if you go by car?

• If you re coming by car, please use the shared parking lot with “Pachinko University” just around the corner.
    → パチンコ大学 seems to just be a pachinko parlor
Day 6

Who is the target audience for this leaflet?

• New Elementary, Middle School, High School students

What do you get?

• 2 semi private lessons of 90 minutes each

How much will it cost?

• The lessons are free but there is a charge of 1000 yen for materials
Day 7

Suggested format for posting your answers
Will make it easier to distinguish from questions and discussions

1 Like
Day 1

First look:

Honestly it looked simply enough but I couldn’t read (actually, blanked out on a bunch of kanji I know I have “learnt”) enough to know what is specifically going on here. ‘Group collection’. Something about wrapping stuff and preparing for something, large rubbish collection day? Have your stuff ready by 8am on the 11th dec. Write your room (and house?) number and family name on the form. Let’s use things like newspaper for ‘something’. Happens twice a month?
Thanks for your cooperation

Translation:

Who: Takiyama apartment residence association
What: Group collection day
When: Sunday 11th Dec, by 8am.
Where: Takiyama apartment residence
Why: Not sure, think its just recycling.
How: wrap up your stuff with newspaper, or just putting all your old newspaper, books cardboard etc out.

Day 2

First look:

Lots here so I’m going to skip most of it…
Looks like a poster looking for postal staff. Apparently, its work that can suit your lifestyle, so let’s have fun working together! Has some wages depending on hours worked, working hours, and some points on why it’s so good!

From some postal company (can’t read the first kanji: *式会社). If your interested, to get in contact you call the number depending which area you are in on the list.

Translation for important bits:

Ok so its an easy application using LINE, and again down the bottom its states you can apply using LINE or by email, as well as the numbers provided. Further details on the role I count read: You can rent a bike, inexperienced people are fine, you get a uniform, and promotions.

The main company is closed on Wednesday and Sunday, so maybe don’t ring those days.

Day 3

First look:

A service that brings stuff to your house that you can buy, actually probably delivers stuff that you have already bought?

Delivery days are Monday to Sunday. Reception times? Until 1:30pm and second use until 3:30pm. Delivery times, first run 2:00 – 4:00pm, then 4:00 – 6:00pm. Cost is 330 yen.

Delivery area is Kodaira, East * something *, and West Tokyo city

Delivers the products you already purchased to your home, by the Hanakoanei coop store. They delivery refrigerated and frozen products as well. You have to pay the fee regardless of the amount. You can only have 2 cases of drinks, otherwise you have to pay more.

Delivery in Kodaira, Higashikurume, and West Tokyo cities.

Day 5

First look:

Honestly can barely make any sense of any of this. Few random words but nothing that makes sense upon first scan with no assistance. (for a celebration or holiday; is that free onion? Is the place called ushi (cow) tan/tounge?). From the 16th to the 25th December.

Anniversary (that 年 font!?). part 2. Free onion on a separate plate.

Lets go with ‘Cow tongue’ then as the name of the place.
There’s top tongue and ‘average’ tongue comparing set.
Normally 1500 yen, now 1000 yen. You can try the offal for 400 yen.
You can park at the pachinko university (?!)

Man, that messy handwritten font really wrecked me.

2 Likes

おかえり、みんな!今週も頑張りましょう!

Day 1

Takiyama Area Neighborhood Association

Group Gathering: Because of/to prevent theft, please put your out items after 8 a.m. on the appointed day.

December 11, Sunday

They want to collect old newspapers (古新聞), old magazines (古雑誌), books (本), magazines (古雑誌), miscellaneous paper (類氏), and old cloth (古布) for recycling twice a month, once in the middle and once at the end.

*I couldn’t figure out the best way to separate into who/what/when/where/why/how so I just did it this way. I knew 滝山 was Takiyama and guessed that 自治会 meant something like neighborhood association, but the 団地 confused me at first.

Day 2

It is a recruitment advertisement from the TV.PO company looking for delivery people. (Since it says they can use a motorbike/scooter or a regular bicycle and that there are scooters and bikes available to rent I think that ポスティングスタッフ is delivery person.)

You can make ¥40,200 working 4-8 hour days or ¥166,400 working 8-16 hour days. You can work whenever you want; the main office is open from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Weekly pay OK. W-Work welcome. No resume required. Choose your own shift. No experience needed. Something about generation and activity and wide. They pay for your gas (代支給)/there’s a gas allowance/stipend. Bike/bicycle rental available. You can wear whatever clothing you like and have whatever hairdo you like. They lend you (貸出) a uniform and backpack (バック). There’s a compensation/reward system? Employee Promotion available.

You can apply at the nearest branch or online/via email.

*Looked up 代支給, 報酬制度, 社員登用. Also looked up “W-Work”, it means having two jobs or a second job.) Also, wow does knowing kanji help so much! Even if the words are not familiar you can get a very good idea of what is being said. Like how I knew 最寄り meant something like “closest” because I knew that 最 means “most” and 寄 means “approach”.

Day 3

It is an in-store delivery service. If you purchase something, they can deliver it to your home. They can deliver things refrigerators, freezers, and other goods.

the services is available Monday through Sunday (every day). If the request is received by 1:30 p.m. it can be delivered between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. If received by 3:30 p.m. it can be delivered between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. It costs ¥330 (tax included).

Its can be used without shopping something (金額に関わらずご利用いただけます). A delivery time cannot be provided. Delivery something is limited. Delivery includes up to two cases of beverages. If you would like to have three or more delivered, there is an additional fee.

It’s available in 小平市, 東久留米市, and 西東京市 (Western Tokyo). It lists suburbs too, but I think the only ones I can read are 滝山 (Takiyama)、中央 (Chuo)、and 南町 (Minami Machi). (I’d never have guess ANY of the other ones. I think because these readings are mostly 訓読み?)

*I looked up the somethings and the city names:
金額 - sum of money (So the above is saying that it doesn’t matter how much you purchase.)
件数 - number of events (So the above is saying that they can limit the number of deliveries if needed.)
コープ花小金井 - Co-op Hana Kogane (This might be the name of the store.)
小平市 - Kodaira City
東久留米市 - Higashikurume City

Day 4

When [Gas appliance trouble] your gas stove won’t light, when there is no hot water (hot water won’t come out), [Water leaking trouble] when the toilet overflows, or when your faucet is leaking…call Toyko Gas Repair Service!

(This part was difficult to read.) It’s easy and convenient to make an appointment, the services are not expensive (they explain the what needs to be done and the price before beginning any work), and they provide high quality technology and customer service. (Had to look up 技術確定 and 接客.)

They’re open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. To make an appointment you can call the toll-free number (フリーダイヤル) and press 1 for Gas Appliance Repair or 2 for water leak repair. You can also make an appointment online.

Day 5

I think the name of the shop is 牛タン and it’s having these specials for its second anniversary. There’s something about free green onions and all-you-can-eat green onions. It must have something to do with cow and meat.

Some kind of set (上タン/並タン食べ比べセット upper tongue normal tongue comparison set?) is on special for 1000円. (Which is a special price 特別価格.)

All items (全品) having to do with excellent (絶品) hormone (ホルモン) trials (お試し) are on sale for 400円?

There is a shared parking lot (提携駐車場) available in front of Pachinko University (パチンコ大学様)?

I had a lot of trouble reading this one, and tried to pick out as many words as I could recognize. I did recognize the city name (東久留米市) from Day 3’s flyer. I knew the word parking lot was in there but it took me a really long time for figure out that 駐 was a single kanji and not 馬王.

Day 6

The target audience is elementary/middle/high school students needing a bit of extra study during their winter break/end of the year. you can study math, English, Chinese, or science.

It looks like you get two 90-minute sessions (for two students with one instructor) in a two-week period for free (with a 1,000円 fee for course materials, tax included).

Day 7

It looks like a monthly collection for old papers: newspapers, magazines and 段ボール. (What’s 段ボール, you ask? I have to look that up. :sweat_smile:)

It will take place on December 12 (second Wednesday of the month) rain or shine. (Unless there’s a typhoon or an earthquake). To participate you should fill in this form with your name and apartment/room number and place it with your items (この用紙を上に乗せて).

You should put your items out by 9 a.m. in a place that is visible from the road (道路から見える). (If you live in an apartment building (集合住宅の方), please put it out in front of the postbox.)

*It says something about the end of the year and illumination/lighting up, but I’m not sure how that fits into asking for cooperation in collecting old paper materials. EDIT: 段ボール is cardboard!)

This was a tough week, but we made it @SteveB! Thanks again to @ThousandJP for putting this together!! また来週!

5 Likes

SAME. We seem to have come to more or less the same conclusions though. So that’s something? I think seeing that handwriting is very intimidating at first, but if I really try I can make out more than I thought I could.

I also had a question about your answer, and even though it seems to be just the two of us this week, I’ll put it behind spoiler tag just in case:

My question:

I didn’t get offal at ALL. I got something WAY WAY different from the 絶品ホルモンお試し価格全品 part. (At least I think that’s what it says.)

3 Likes
Day 5

ホルモン is internal organs (beef, pork)

パチンコ大学:
Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 11.25.38 AM

website link

The name may have been a bit tricky. It’s 炭火焼肉いち on the bottom right.

Kind of glossed over the 年 but can see how it can look strange and like something else once you pointed it out.

3 Likes

@eclipse77x Some tough ones there for sure, its good to see that mix of everyday occurrences though. I can still get freaked about a bit when seeing ones with tons of kanji all over the page like the flyers this week, but yeah if you slow down and try to read it, its not too bad (or sometimes it really is :sweat_smile: ).
The sentence you questioned for day 5, I think i misread it (that handwriting!) and just saw ’ you can try the ホルモン product’ (or something like that), which turns out wasn’t too bad in the end. I had talked about offal (or internal organs) ‘ホルモン’ before as I had been talking about eating liver with my tutor haha.

Thanks again @ThousandJP for putting it on.

3 Likes