Information in the Wild Week 12: A Reading Comprehension Drill Book for Natives of All Ages

Week Twelve!! If you don’t know what’s happening, main post here.
Links to the previous weeks can be found in the main post also.

• Tldr: Quick daily practice of using real Japanese to understand and acquire information. The focus being on understanding what is being conveyed sufficiently to interact with or respond to it.

This week we will be doing something different. Instead of the going out into the wild in Japan, we will step into the wild of native Japanese material. One of the motivations for doing this activity was the assertion that studying Japanese should not be an endless task and there should be a clear meaningful way to verify ability especially for learners who are outside Japan. Signs and leaflets felt like a good benchmark as they are something that the general population is expected to recognize and understand. This week’s material extends that principle to longer passages.

We will be previewing this reading compression drill book for natives. The sample pages can be found in the link so you can look ahead if you want but I think doing one page/day blind may give you a better sense of whether or not you will want to purchase the full book.

2 minutes per page is the time limit suggested for natives which can be a useful measuring stick. Pick your own suitable time limit or just time yourself to measure progress.

Day 1:

Answer the multiple choice question

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

Day 5:

That’s all for now. Special thanks to everybody who has been following along and everybody who has contributed pictures. You made this activity possible.

If anybody is looking for something to test their reading comprehension, highly recommend both this book and the standard version of this book.

Check in if you’re participating this week

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

5 Likes

Sample Answers (Updated the following day)

Day 1

The answer is A only. B is incorrect because you are not allowed to order only dessert and drinks. C is incorrect because after spending 200yen on the Dessert of the Day, you also have the option to pair it with the ginger stir fry lunch set (pork).

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Suggested format for posting your answers
Will make it easier to distinguish from questions and discussions

1 Like
Day 1

Tried something different today. Instead of just putting down the correct responses, I decided to write out why each answer is correct or incorrect. In Japanese.

A: はい。日本ランチと日本デザートと紅茶は900円で、洋食スペシャルランチは980円です。それで、日本ランチと日本デザートと紅茶はもっと安いです。

B: はい。ドリンクと日本デザートは300円です。それで、300円を支払えば、それを注文することができます。

C:いいえ。900円以内で日本デザートを食べたいなら、日本ランチだそれともしょうが焼きランチを注文することができます。

Day 2

Continuing with my challenge here. I think this way is better than just putting A/B/C because I actually have to think about why I chose those answers. Plus I get to use grammar points like である and ものです and という意味. Whether or not I used them correctly is another story altogether.

第一の問題
A: はい。上の文章で「彼はいつも自信満々の顔ついをしている」と書かれています。

B: いいえ。上の文章で「あてられて答えを間違えることが多い」と書かれているからいうと、彼がいつも先生にあてられても答えを間違えない人ではないと知っている。

C: いいえ。上の文章で「名門高校の入学試験に合格するはずなんかない」と書かれています。

第にの問題
A: いいえ。その文章の話題は「あくびの理由」というものである。

B: はい。文章が「さまざまの説」と話している。 だから、「そのなか」は「さまざまな説」という意味である。

C: いいえ。あくびの理由を述べているのは研究者たちである。

Day 3

Feeling a bit discouraged (okay a lot discouraged) today after realizing that I couldn’t or didn’t read the fine print on day one’s exercise and that option B was not correct. A fine fellow also pointed out a nuance I completely missed on day two’s (and I appreciate that because we learn when we make mistakes), which means that option C was correct. Anyway that’s enough whining for one day.

今日の問題の答えは絶対Bです!最初親指を数えるべきではないから、答えA正解ではありません。それに答えCについて、小指を二度数えるべきだから、小字指は同時に第7と第八、故にCはも正しくないです。

Day 4

This one took me a really long time, though today comprehension was what I had the least trouble with. I understood all of it (after confirming the surnames) but had a really hard time keeping track of who did what and with whom. I had to make a whole chart! At least I got a LOT of practice writing the kanji, especially 藤, which I wrote 15 times. (Pardon my trash handwriting on scrap paper.)

今日の問題の答えはAしかないのです。なぜなら、近藤さんは買い物に行かなたったからBとCの答えは正しい答えになれないのです。

Day 5

私は正しい答えはA→C→D→Bと思っている。

これは私の推理:まず、段落が普通の日の気温の変化を論じます。それから、雨の日の例外について論じされました。それがAです。

雨の日と蒸発している雨粒のせいで気温が下がるについての部分がその例外の理由である。つまり、Cです。

次に、曇りの日で気温が下がる可能のもう一つの理を出されました。(日光が地面に届かなくて気温が下がるから。)それがBです。

でも、冬の雨の日によってかえって気温が上が可能性があります。それがDです。最後の部分は、「雨雲が暖かい空気を逃げ防ぐことだから」とDの説明です。そういうことだ。。。と思っている。

Regarding the temperature on a given day, it’s normal for the temperature to rise during the day and be low in the morning and at night.

A. But, that is something that can be said on sunny days, not rainy ones.

C. When it rains, the evaporating raindrops absorb the surrounding heat and cause the temperature to decrease.

B. Also, regarding clouds, another reason (for the temperature decrease) is that the sunlight does not reach the ground.

D. However, when it rains in the winter the temperature can also increase.

That’s because the rainclouds prevent the hot air from escaping.

もう疲れた。 背いっぱい頑張ったのに、私の答えが正しいかどうかわからない。:frowning_face:

3 Likes

Sounds like a good challange

Day 1

First look:

What will you decide for lunch.
Lunch menu 11:30 – 13:30. (something about the price)

Todays lunch – 600 yen
(something) grilled lunch – 700 Yen
Hamburger lunch – 900 yen
Western special lunch (including drink) – 980 yen
Todays desert – 200 yen
Drink – 100 yen. Coffee (black, iced), black tea (hot , iced), cola, orange juice.

• Please ask our staff for what is in todays lunch and desert.
  • You can’t just order a drink or desert

Choose the things you want from the above lunch menu

Ah no wait, it’s a test question: regarding the above lunch menu, choose the correct thing:

• Correct: Todays lunch and dessert (with tea) is cheaper than the western style lunch.
  • No, you can’t just order a drink and desert for 300 yen. (I think that was the question)
  • Correct: You can have todays desert and lunch for less than 900 Yen. (I might have mis-interpreted that one?)

Took about 3 minutes to read the whole thing in the first box, and a few more minutes to understand the questions down the bottom properly. Overall happy with that, no assistance required (doesn’t mean its all correct though!)

Day 2

Q1.

• Yes, he is someone that always had a confident look
  • No, he often got the answer wrong
  • No, he did not pass the entrance exam.
    Edit: He was ‘supposed’ to fail, but the result was contrary to that. Yes I think he passed

Q2.

I read it, but I don’t understand what the question wants you to do exactly?

Edit: With guidance from JP, updating my answer to B: They are referring to the various opinions or theories.

They took me a little longer to read, with the poor-quality image and my poor kanji reading skills. Had to look up a few words here and there.

Day 3

The correct illustration for the explanation above is B.
Also I had no idea about that, I just sing that little song you learn in school in my head every time :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Day 4

Aは正しいです: 近藤さん first went to カラオケ with 佐藤さん, then had to run an errand so he left, and we don’t know what he actually did in that time. After the others had been shopping, 近藤さん got in contact and they went for dinner.

2 Likes

Yeah I can’t seem to get the picture quality to be better. May have to resort to using the zoom feature on the product page directly.

Q2 wants you to identify what the その part of the underlined そのから is referring to.

2 Likes

But you got the answers correct!

(And I think you had the third part of Q1 correct the first time.)

はずなんかない is like “hardly possible/there is no way that” and I believe the なんか replaces the “が” here in order to add emphasis. はずがない

@ThousandJP is that right?

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure either way lol, but turns out he passed (I think). My rough interpretation (after a few re-reads) for the whole はずなんかない sentence, its something like “there is no way he would pass”!? Not exact, but then the next part says the result was contradictory to what everyone thought.

1 Like

Missing fine print may in a way be an indication that you are trusting your ability to read Japanese more. Reading more naturally and with less effort like your native language. It is still a “mistake” but imo one of the strength of this drill book is that it gives you the opportunity to make those mistakes as opposed to a regular book, manga, novel where you won’t be able to get that immediate feedback in Japanese.

1 Like

I can see that. I definitely felt good about being able to understand today’s material. (Though if that paragraph had been spoken aloud and I had to answer based on that I’d have been screwed. There’s no way I’d have been able to remember all the information required to choose the correct answer. And that would be true even if it had been spoken in English.)

I also feel good about being able to put together explanatory sentences justifying the answers I chose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ThousandJP I really liked this week. And I think I even did well overall! (Though I’ve no idea if my the grammar in my responses made any sense at all.)

This is meant to be an observation, not a criticism: Want to add that it feels to me that some of the exercises (Days 1, 2, and 4) were written in a confusing manner on purpose and that really ups the challenge. Like for Day 4, instead of being a straightforward retelling of the events of the day, the important pieces of information (or clues) are distributed among the explanations given by each speaker. I had to find all those clues to assemble the complete story and determine the correct order of events.

In the case of the others, I really have to know my vocabulary and grammar because in many cases, overlooking ANY part of the text, or missing even one or two words can make me think the passage is saying the exact opposite of what it actually says. (Like how I overlooked the fine print on Day 1.)

Anyway, looking forward to the next one!

2 Likes

I agree @eclipse77x , though I missed the last couple of days, I really enjoyed this weeks challenges. It was a good test of comprehension of natural japanese (without the need to specifically translate). The flyers and ‘wild’ stuff is great, but this was also good for similar reasons, just a different context.

Looking forward to whatever comes next!

1 Like

I agree with this. Except for the one where we had to put the sentences in order, I didn’t feel like I needed to translate anything unless there was a word I didn’t know. The grammar used also felt just right for where I’m at right now. Just enough to be challenging but not so as to be frustrating. (Except for the one where we had to put the sentences in order.)

2 Likes