Information in the Wild Week 7: Quick and Easy Starbucks related Information

Week Seven!! If you don’t know what’s happening, main post here.
Links to the previous weeks can be found in the main post also.

• Tldr: Quick daily practice of using real Japanese to understand and acquire information. The focus being on understanding what is being conveyed sufficiently to interact with or respond to it.

We’re back! We’ll be starting off with a light week to warm up our Japanese information gathering skills again.

Day 1:

As you walk up to pay, you see this sign. Anything in particular that we should be aware of?

Day 2:

You found a promotional offer, what is it? Are there any limitations to when it can be used?

Day 3:
Day 3 edit

Another sign by the register, what is it requesting us to do?
(The red text is a bit blurry but we can take the opportunity to guess what we expect it to say based on the rest of the sign. The text is written out below.)

Bottom Half Text Written Out

指差しや筆談等によるご注文をお願い致します。

ご協力よろしくお願い致します。

Day 4:
Day 5

You see this “One More Coffee” thing on your receipt and it looks to be some kind of offer. What is this offer and how does it work?

Day 5:

A poster of an expired promo that seems to be similar “One More Coffee”, how can you get another cup of ラテ?
(This one shares a lot of the same words as the previous picture, might be a good challenge to give it a go with no tools.)

Day 6:

Challenge of the week! Handwritten katakana :upside_down_face:
This appears to be a popular off menu item that you can only order through customization. What are the ingredients you need to make this drink?

The really small text written out

パッションティー抜き

Day 7:

An easier one to finish up the week. You’re picking up Starbucks for you and three others, their orders are 1 Grande Caramel Frappuccino , 1 Venti Caramel Macchiato, and 1 Tall Starbucks Latte. Add your own order, what’s the total?

Starting tomorrow we'll be having a look around at a gift shop.

Check in if you’re participating this week

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

4 Likes

Sample Answers (Updated the following day)

Day 1
  • This is a new employee. We are asked to be patient if they make any mistakes.
Day 2
  • It’s a limited time ticket (or coupon) that gets an additional identical drink for free
  • You can only use it on Saturday May 19th, May 26th and Sunday May 20th, May 27th from opening until 11:59am
Day 3

The employee at the register has an hearing impairment so we are asked to order by pointing or communicate by writing.

Day 4
  • You can get another drip coffee of the same size for 100yen (tax in) on the same day if you bring your receipt of your earlier purchase.
  • In effect until closing, and some stores are excluded from this promo
Day 5
  • You can get another latte (hot/cold) of the same size for 200yen (tax excluded) on the same day if you bring your receipt of your earlier purchase.
  • June 1st to July 13th
Day 6
  • To order this White Peach drink you will need to customize a Mango Passionfruit Frappuccino with White Mocha Syrup and Whipped Cream.
Day 7
  • 1 Grande Caramel Frappuccino ¥510
    1 Venti Caramel Macchiato ¥500
    1 Tall Starbucks Latte ¥370
    Total: ¥1380
  • Think I will have one of those White Peach things by ordering a Mango Passion Frappuccino + the customization for ¥594
  • Grand Total: ¥1974

Suggested format for posting your answers
Will make it easier to distinguish from questions and discussions

3 Likes

Hi. Sorry for not responding recently. Things have been really up in the air since I went to the UK. Thanks so much for all the great content, though. These really are things that we deal with every day and it’s really helpful for someone getting used to daily life in Japan.

Day 1

We have a new dude here. Sorry if he’s a bit slow, but bear with him, he’ll get there!

2 Likes

Awesome stuff, thanks JP

day 1

This register has a beginner (new staff) on, sorry if they do some things wrong

Day 2 + question

If you buy a drink with your ticket, you can enjoy another one Free!
Can only be used Sat 19 & Sun 20th, Sat 26th and Sun 27th, in the morning until 11:59.

Question: Is this like a rewards card you keep on you, or do you get a ticket there on specially marked drinks or something?

Edit: ok I forgot about the little picture of the phone and printer down the bottom. Eclipse77x’s answer somewhat clarifies that.

Day 3

This barista at this register is hard of hearing, so I need to order by pointing to what I want. (thanking for your cooperation)

Had to look up 筆談: I can also order by writing, but I think I’ll stick to pointing…

2 Likes

Yay! Welcome back everyone!

Day 1

<お客様へ>
To our customers:

只今、こちらのレジは初心者が対応しております
At the moment, there is a beginner handling this register.

ベテランにはない新鮮さがありますなれない面もございますので容赦下さいませ。
There is a newness that veterans don’t have so please forgive (me) for not being used to it (the job) yet.

The person at this register is new and we should be patient while they are learning the job.

Cool! I could read everything this time except for 只今. For the second sentence I got the 容赦下さいませ but had trouble with the “Veteran with no freshness” part.

Day 2

チケットのご利用で、ドリンク1杯ご購入時に、同じドリンクをもう一杯無料で楽しみいただけます
Using this ticket, if you buy one drink, you can enjoy another drink for free.

*ご利用可能日:5/19(土)、5/20(日)、5/26(土)、5/27(日)
*ご利用可能時間帯:午前中のみ(開店〜11:59)

*Days you can use: 5/19 (Saturday), 5/20 (Sunday), 5/26 (Saturday), 5/26 (Sunday)
*Time period (during) which you can use: In the A.M. Only (Store Opening~11:59)

スマートフォンで使う
Use with your smartphone

印刷して使う
Print and use

*Learned a new word! 時間帯! Only one I did not know today. :smiley:

Day 3

耳が不自由です
Hearing-Impaired

ただ今、耳が不自由なバリスタがレジを担当しております。
At this time we have a hearing-impaired barista working at this register.

指差しや筆談等によるご注文をお願い致します。
Please order by (doing things like) pointing or communicating in writing.

ご協力よろしくお願い致します。
Thank you for your cooperation.

*I wasn’t sure of the meaning of 耳が不自由です, but knowing that 耳 means “ear” and “不自由” means “not freely” I was able to guess that it had something to do with hearing loss/impairment. I could only read the “指差しや” part of the red lettering and also had to look up 筆談.

Day 4

One More Coffee のご案内
One More Coffee Guidelines

<スタバックスのコーヒーの世界を1日お楽しみください!>
<Enjoy the world of Starbuck’s Coffee for a day!>

ドリップコーヒーご購入時のレシートをご提示頂いたお客様は当日内であれば、2杯のドリップコーヒー(ホット・アイスとちらでも可)を他店舗でも100円(税込)でお楽しみいただけます。
Customers showing a receipt for the purchase of drip coffee on that day, enjoy a a second cup of drip coffee (hot or cold) at any store for 100¥ (tax included).

本日営業終了まで有効/一部店舗除く
Same Day Only(Literally is more like “valid until close of business on the same day”)/Excluding some stores

対象商品はドリップコーヒーのみです。
Offer applies to drip coffee only. (Literally is more like Target merchandise is drip coffee only.)

同一サイズでのご提供となります。
Drinks are provided at the same size.

毎月20日はフェアトレードの日
Every 20th day of the month is Fair Trade Day

*I thought it was saying the offer was for second cup of coffee (so that’s what I wrote), but when I ran through Google Translate to check my work it said two cups. Deciphering the first two lines next to the “One More Coffee” graphic was a fun little puzzle. I sort of guessed at 除く and I got the 営 because I recognized the 業 kanji. The context also helped.

Day 5

“2杯目のラテ”のカスタマイズで新しい味わいを見つけてみませんか。
Why not discover a new flavor by customizing a “Second Latte”?

期間中、スタバックスラテご購入時のレシートを当日営業終了までにお持ち頂くと、2杯目のスタバックスラテを200円(税別)でお楽しみいただけます。
During this time period, if you have a receipt for the purchase of a Starbucks latte, you can enjoy a second Starbucks latte for ¥200 (not including tax) until close of business that same day.

「対象期間」6.1〜7.13
「対象アイテム」スタバックスラテ(HOT/ICE)• 全サイズ

[Target Period] 6.1~7.13
[Target Item] Starbucks latter (Hot/Ice) • Any/All sizes

Day 6

まるで白桃??!
Just like white peach??!

スッキソさわやか!and ヘルシ〜 :heart:
Pleasantly refreshing and healthy :heart:

(パションティ***)マンゴパッションフラペチーノ+(ホワイトモカシロップ(¥50)+ ホイップ(¥50)

(Passion Tea***) Mango Passion Frappuccino + White Mocha Syrup (¥50) + Whipped Cream (¥50)

噂の白桃フラペチーノをご紹介 :heart:
ミルク不使用ごスッキリヘルシーに :heart:

Invitation to Rumored (legendary?) White Peach Frappuccino:heart:
Milk-free and be Refreshingly Healthy :smiley:

¥594(tax inc)
¥594 (tax included)

*Today was TOUGH! Was able to read most of it and marked words I couldn’t read with *** . Had to look up a bunch of words today: スッキリ, さわやか (confused this for すっぱい for some reason :see_no_evil:), ホイップ. I was really confused about ミルク until I realized it was ク and not ワ. (No mealworms in this drink!) And ソ and リ look SO similar here!

Day 7

今日は日本語で答えるべき気分です。

一つのGrande キャラメルフラペチーノ (¥510) + 一つのVentiキャラメルマキアート(¥500)+一つのTallスタバークスラテ(¥370)+何もなし(¥0)の累計は1、380円だ。俺って何も注文しない。なぜなら、コーヒが好きではないから。あぁもう、茶のメニューはどこにある?

2 Likes

Here we go again! Thank you so much @ThousandJP for this amazing project!

Day one

只今、こちらのレジは初心者が対応しております

只今 - ただいま - at the moment
こちらのレジは - here at this till + topic particle
初心者が - しょしんしゃ - beginner + identifier particle
|対応 - たいおう - dealing with, coping with
しております - a stack of grammar I don’t quite get

I don’t like the implication that because the poor guy is new, they are a terrible inconvenience and customers have to be apologized to. But perhaps I’m reading it all wrong and it has a friendly and non-shaming tone.

In any case, just as with some of the other excellent translations here, mine is going to veer quite a way from the literal. I really think that is an excellent approach to this!

Please give a big welcome, and a little extra patience if you can, to abc-san! Our newest member of staff who is working on this till today!

Day two

Right, today I’m going to undertake this challenge with no tools at all! No Google Translate, no Jisho, no nothing! Just the photo, and me, here, writing…

チケット - ticket
の - possessive particle
利用 - I can’t remember this kanji! I Know how to read it, りよう, but can’t remember what it means, something about using
で - with

ドリンク1枚ご___入時に
drink, いちまい, one cup, something about entering and time

同じドリンクを一枚無料
the same drink, one cup, free!

Oh yes! If you use your ticket (clubcard or something?) at the same time (as ordering) whatever drink you order, you get another cup for free. Sounds like a great deal!

でお楽しみただけます - grammar etc, no idea!

And then the dates when this offer applies, over two weekends and a bit of small-print about hours of operation or something.

I’m pretty pleased with that. All I need do now is figure out what the チケット is.

Day three

ただ今、耳が不自由なバリスタがレジを担当しております

ただ今 - ただいま - at the moment
耳が不自由な - みみがふじゆうな - deaf
バリスタが - barista + identifier particle
レジを - till + object particle
担当 - たんとう - in charge of
しております - する+grammar

The person currently operating this till is deaf…

And then the sign goes on to say that you can order by pointing! Which is what I always do anyway… but for a completely different reason! :sweat_smile:

Day four

You see this “One More Coffee” thing on your receipt and it looks to be some kind of offer. What is this offer and how does it work?

I’ve used this offer a few times in my life, but never actually read what it says! So let’s have a look today! Thanks again to this project, I’m reading stuff I ought to have read years ago!

Only problem is, I’m super busy today, so have to do this in a hurry…!

ドリップコーヒー - drip coffee
ご購入時の - time of purchase
レシートを - receipt + を
ご提示 - presentation
頂いた - receive?
お客様は - customer’s
当日内で - something about within the day
あれば - if
2杯目の ドリップコーヒー - 2nd cup of drip coffee
(ホット/アイスどちらでも可) - hot or iced, either is fine
を - object particle
他店舗でも - also in other shop
100円 - 100 yen!
(税込) - plus tax
でお楽しみ頂けます - please enjoy

If you show this receipt at the time of ordering, during today, here or in another branch, you can have a second cup of drip coffee (hot or ice) for just 100 yen (plus tax). Please enjoy!

:coffee:

Day five

…might be a good challenge to give it a go with no tools.

Challenge accepted!

期間中 - something, time, during
スターバックス - Starbucks
ラテ - Latte
ご - with
購入時 - something, enter, time
の - possessive particle
レシート - reciept
を - object particle
当日営業 終了 - something , day, something, something, end, end???
までに - until
お持ち頂くと - something about waiting
2杯目 - 2 cups?
の - of
スターバックスラテ - Starbucks Latte
を - object marker
200円 - 200 yen
(税別)で - plus tax
お楽しみいただけます - please enjoy

So, this has to be the same offer as yesterday, but with lattes in stead of drip coffees, and for 200 yen rather than 100 yen.

Now I must look up 期間中… okay, there it is, きかんちゅう, during, for the duration of. Nice one!

Day six

Difficult one today. I’m going to have to pick my way through this slowly…

まるで白桃??!

まるで - (1) quite; entirely; completely (2) as if; as though; just like
白 - しろ - white
桃 - もも - peach

“Just like white peach??!”

(Short discussion on Jisho regarding まるで though which might have some bearing on things?)

What are the ingredients you need to make this drink?

パッションティー passion tea
抜き - leaving out

Leaving out passion tea? I have no idea what passion tea might be, or why you might want to leave it out.

マンゴーパッション フラペチーノ - mango passion frappuccino
ホワイトモカシロップ - white mocha syrup
ホイップ - whip(ped cream)

That took me a long time! And I had to use Google translate in the end. Hard work! And I still don’t really understand what’s going on! But I wouldn’t even if it were written in the Queen’s good English! I’ve never drank a frappuccino in my life, couldn’t identify one if it was poured all over me, and would feel like a proper charlie just ordering such a thing!

Tea for me, and if I do go out, a cup of coffee, but just that - a coffee.

coffee time

You’re picking up Starbucks for you and three others…
I hope the others include ThousandJP , eclipse77x , and whoever else from this thread that can make it!

Grande Caramel Frappuccino, キャラメルフラペチーノ - 510

Venti Caramel Macchiato, キャラメルマキアート - 500

Tall Starbucks Latte, スターバックスラテ - 370

Add your own order: grande ソイラテ (I’m hoping that’s a soy latte!) - 460

Total: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: 1,840円

(Nearly 2000 yen! We had a great time, but I won’t be doing that toooo often! :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes
Day 1

This store has some staff that are just starting out so it’s advising guests about interacting with them, presumably to be patient as they’re learning their job

2 Likes

It’s been a little while since I joined in, but I’m such a sucker for Starbucks. No, it might not be good coffee, but I do enjoy a pile of whipped cream and drinks that are essentially just chocolate.

Day 1

We have a newbie on the tills!
With all the freshfacedness a veteran doesn’t have!
Pray forgive any mistakes whilst they’re getting warmed up to the role!

As someone who has been in the same position as someone starting out on the tills, a bit of kindness really does go a long way. I never had a sign, but I did make sure to tell customers if I thought I was probably going a bit slower than they’d like.

Day 2

Using this coupon when you buy yourself a drink, you’ll get another of the same drink absolutely free! The catch is, it’s only valid between opening time to 11:59AM on May 19th, 20th, 26th and 27th.

Still sounds pretty good to me. Doesn’t look like there’s even any stipulation as to what drink, at least from this!

Day 3

The barista on this till is hard of hearing. Please order by pointing or writing it down. We appreciate your cooperation.

This one hits me as a fellow hard of hearing person, though to a lesser extent. Cannot stress enough how difficult a public-facing job like this is with a hearing difficulty! Actually, there’s a D/deaf employee at a Starbucks I often go to, though she usually is in charge of making the drinks. I learnt ありがとう in 手話 so I could thank her appropriately, and now she always draws me a cute little picture on my cup :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: A little bit goes a long way!

Day 4

If you show this receipt next time you’re buying a drip coffee at any Starbucks (as long as it’s before the end of today!), you can enjoy the same size of hot/iced drip coffee for the low low price of 100 yen (tax included)!

Happy Fair Trade Day, I guess! Didn’t know it was the 20th of every month, but we learn something new every day.

Day 5

Between June 1st~July 13th, you could get a second hot/cold latte of any size for 200円, as long as you showed the receipt before closing time.

Same as the last post essentially, but with lattes (more my kinda speed!) and a bit of a price bump. Bring this offer back! :eyes:

2 Likes
Day 2

If you buy a drink, you can get another of the same drink for free!!!
You can use it on 19th, 20th, 26th or 27th May from opening until noon.

2 Likes

This should just be an online promo of a ticket or a coupon. It looks like you would be able to use it for any drink.

If this is what you fed Google Translate, that’s probably why.

Nice

1 Like

Oh oops! I completely didn’t see the 目 there. Or I forgot it was there. Thanks for catching that!

2 Likes

SAME!

And yeah, today’s (Day 6) was tough. Katakana is difficult enough without throwing handwriting in the mix. But we did it!

3 Likes

Funny, isn’t it?! Give me kanji over katakana any day! :laughing:

And yes, well done us, and all of us! :hugs:

4 Likes

Yeah this threw me for a second too when I had to confirm what it as. I think the spacing and size of the hand radical of 抜 makes it look like three separate characters.

imo, handwriting the characters yourself a bit helps a lot with reading handwritten Japanese since you get a better feel of the direction of the strokes. If you have messy handwriting. it may even help you with reading messy handwriting.

Think there is no passionfruit tea in it in the first place and they are just mentioning it for people who are avoiding caffeine.

2 Likes

I see! Thanks for that! :+1:

1 Like

@ThousandJP Thank you for another fun and challenging week! Very true about writing out the characters. Helped me a lot when I was first learning kanji and practicing stroke order. These days since it’s so easy to just type everything I don’t write as much, but I do try to practice writing pairs of kanji that I can’t seem to tell apart. (Like 師/帥 or 之/芝/乏, for example.) Sometimes it helps.

@everyone Great job this week! 頑張ってね!

@Marcus: これは私に大きな笑顔うさせた。とても甘くて親切だから。ところで、¥2000=$15.25 また €14.08 また £12.65。:wink: また来週!

3 Likes

Looking forward to it! Thank you to you and to everyone in these threads!

3 Likes

Day 7 was great because for the first time Katakana was in a super easily understood context. Unlike what normally happens, I had no trouble deciphering the English, LOL!

3 Likes