Is there any reason to purchase text books?

If I read the resources that Bunrpo provided thoroughly and learn from any other resources I could search on Google and Youtube. Is there still any good reason to purchase textbooks like Tobira or AIAIJ?

Those books are not cheap and I’m not sure if they are still have any good reason to buy them. Or they are still far better than online resources and the books are still madatory on learning Japanese?

What is your experience so far with textbooks and free online Japanese learning resources?

1 Like

You’ll definitely get different opinions on this. Not all textbooks are created equally, but I think there is still a place for them. I think that some books have great explanations and also offer you a guiding path. This is certainly more valuable to absolute beginners I think. The Dictionary of Japanese Grammar books are indispensable for me because of the high quality content, however they are of the reference book variety. I’m also using the Shinkanzen Master series to help prepare for the JLPT, and I find it helpful. However, I cannot speak to intermediate books like Tobira as I haven’t read them.

5 Likes

First of all, thanks for answering my question. It does help me a lot.

Could you recommend some books series for JLPT exam? There are a ton of them. So your opinion could help me a lot. When I started learning Japanese almost a year ago. I used Minna no Nihongo, but it doesn’t have a good structure in my opinion.

I’m planning on taking the N2 exam this December.

I only have experience reading the Shinkanzen Master N3 grammar book, so I can’t offer any helpful comparisons. One reason I like the book is that it is mostly written in Japanese. Since you are taking the N2 exam, I’d recommend you also find a prep book that is mostly written in Japanese. I’ve been making the monolingual learning transition and I’m finding it immensely beneficial.

3 Likes

Thanks I will have a look on Shinkanzen Master N3 and N2.

1 Like

If you’re able to keep up with immersing yourself in audio/reading then I don’t see a reason for textbooks, ever. There are SO many free resources out there now whether it’s on Youtube or written that it’s made many textbooks obsolete. I suppose the written exercises could be useful but again, those are easy to find as well. Everyone works different though, but it seems like perhaps a workbook may be up your alley?

5 Likes

Yes I’m thinking about skipping textbooks and save my money for workbooks.

Before you spend money I would start looking online to see if there’s any free-to-use ones out there that people/companies have made.

1 Like

They are boring but Kanzen Master will help you pass JLPT.

1 Like

I’ve been using Genki + Genki Study Resources online. The value of textbooks to me is really that it gives you a ton of exercises to work through to really solidify a concept. I then add the chapter to Bunpro for ongoing review. I do a lesson a week, which feels like a really good pace. Also, pro-tip for Japanese resources, use Japanese Amazon. Way cheaper than White Rabbit or your countries Amazon in most cases.

2 Likes

Not that I’m recommending it, but the genki books are “free” online in PDF form if you just wanted to preview them :wink: before buying

1 Like

As a beginner, I’m using Genki to study N5 and N4 content, with A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Sentence Patterns and Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar. Even thought they cost me an arm and a leg, personally I prefer printed books to guide me. Besides, I spend too much time in front of my laptop and this is causing me health problems.

I like writing the exercises by hand, I think I can remember better, so the exercises in the textbooks and workbooks are helpful. Online resources such as Bunpro and Youtube channels are complements because I want to learn colloquial forms and be consistent.

4 Likes

That’s a huge factor in using books for me, too - avoiding excess screen time outside of my job and online Japanese resources.

3 Likes

I don’t think that there is any real need to buy a textbook, it’s just personal preference. This is coming from someone who is barely at N5 level, so this opinion may not be worth much, but personally, I don’t use any textbooks. Whether or not you use a textbook depends on whether they “work” for you or not. I tried Genki, but I barely got past chapter 1 before I grew so bored that learning became a chore. Learning Japanese is hard enough as is, I don’t want to have to fight my boredom as well.
Some folks swear by textbooks, and if they’re learning successfully - all power to them. All I can say is that I’ve been making great progress without them so far, since the internet gives us so many wonderful resources that are, to me, in many ways superior.

4 Likes

Good point on the screen time. Between working and all the SRS, I too prefer reading books for immersion even though it isn’t free.

2 Likes

textbooks are a great resource for a few reasons. It gives you a concrete focus, and consolidates all grammar points into reading passages, questions, and writing scenarios. It helps you also know where you are at. Also when using Bunpro, Tobira, Genki, Minna are referenced with page numbers for some of the grammar points, and you can visit your text book to get a better understanding. I think textbooks help, especially if you know your level, are you going by jlpt? genk1/minna1 is n5, genki 2/minna2 is n4 and tobira or aiaij is n3 I would think. Then going into n2 and n1 probably would have to rely on shinkan zen master, and news articles/novels to practice new words and grammar points.

5 Likes

Yes. I use wanikani + bunpro + anki alongside textbooks, these tools are mostly for quick lessons and taking advantage of the SRS, but having more solid foundation from textbook is better, since its more in-depth.

2 Likes

The Kanzen Master books are really good for learning the differences between similar things. The questions in the books are written to confuse you, so you learn more about the content by researching why your answers are wrong.

3 Likes

I’ll keep my reply short:

No

Free online resources are more than you’ll ever need.

1 Like

I purchased Tobira as a resource since there really isn’t a reliable digital version.

Do I really need it? Not really. But is it nice to look up a page for extra insight on a specific grammar point? I’d say that it is for me. I guess I like to keep part of my studies old school.

So case and point, if you can afford it and you feel it will make your study time more productive and enjoyable, I’d say go for it. Whenever I have the extra money and I feel something is going to make my study time more enjoyable, productive and convenient I don’t hesitate.

1 Like