Is there something you would do differently looking back on your learning Journey

Hey Bunpro Community,
I just started getting into learning Japanese again and I plan on completing N3 by March 2026 (my trip to Japan), which means I got like a year and a half left.
To set smaller goals my current plan is to take the N4 in July of next year.
I’m currently doing 3 Grammar points and 10 Words a day on Bunpro and 10 lessons on Wanikani. Since I am also starting to study I don’t want to do too much, I’m also going to do one Genki Lesson per Week from Tokini Andys Course. I do think N4 is achievable with this approach, I’m just looking for some advise from the people who finished n4.
What is it you would do differently looking back?
Y’all have fun learning!!

1 Like

You’ll finish n1 grammar 10 months, congrats :clinking_glasses:
I liked reading mode because it forces me to thing about sentence and not about recalling translation. If you can do both - much better, but I’m in hurry. I mean don’t use even first hit, try to read it with yomitan (if there are unknown words) and then feel the gap.

Don’t be afraid to take breaks (but your pace right now is good, so I don’t think it will happen so soon). Sometimes we overwhelm ourselves and breaks can help the brain to consolidate information (since it takes time). You don’t need to don’t study at all, some ideas is don’t do any new lessons for a while or consume media in Japanese for fun and just let it be

After finishing N5, I suggest watching this video (there’s for others levels too)

Consume media in Japanese, whether it be native content or comprehensible input like this or this. I think both are beneficial in different ways

Probably do less Bunpro and more conversation …

But I am where I am.
Literally.
On Bunpro, again :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Why we’re like this :joy:

1 Like

If you have a handle on all of N4, you can get through Dragon Quest 1 with a phone nearby to search the medieval words and the occasional stray higher level kanji.

3 Likes

Focus on colocations/phrases in my SRS instead of just straight singular words.

Why learn just「磨く」 when you can learn two words and something you can actually use, like 「磨く

6 Likes

Using satori reader as my big source of SRS vocab is insanely good for this reason. I see the words in action, and with 3 full context sentences it really helps. Often times I’ll get two words from the same sentence and makes me breeze through vocab from the priming that I got from doing another card.

When I used lingvist (rip free lingvist) to learn french, it did everything via typing in the answer to a phrase… and that’s how to this day I can quote random parts of the bible which I’ve never even read(French simple past isn’t really used so that’s what they had, I presume)

1 Like

May I ask, when in your journey you started using Satori Reader?

1 Like

Definitely way too early. Probably only 4 months in(so like… late 2020 x) ), I think I was like maybe half way through genki 1, maybe 2/3rds at best. Only in like the last year have I really gotten the discipline to fully use it well and correctly. They’ve added a good amount of beginner stuff since I started. Honestly finishing N5 on here is probably a super solid start to the beginning of satori reader. I’m planning on rereading all of it once I finish up the vocab, I’m 20 new cards a day since like July and I still have 1500 new words to learn :x

1 Like

Actually doing it. I kept stopping for months at a time. I’d be at N1 by now if I had knuckled down and done the work. They are right when they say 95% of success is just showing up.

1 Like