J-CAT Test Preparation

Hello,

Starting in September, I will be attending a Japanese university. Before the classes begin, I need to take a J-CAT test to determine which class I will start in. I wanted to prepare myself for the test, so I found a similar test called TTBJ. The TTBJ test involves listening to sentences and choosing the correct particle or grammar to fill in the blank. It includes a particle test where you have 4 seconds to answer and grammar tests where I have 10 minutes to answer multiple questions.

I have already passed the N3 level and maintained this level without progressing to N2 before moving to Japan. I wanted to ensure I was comfortable speaking with N3 grammar and vocabulary. I have a specific level in mind that I would like to start at in the university, so doing well on this test is crucial.

The issue is that I struggle with speed tests like this. I am confident in speaking Japanese and can effectively communicate my thoughts and opinions most of the time, but when faced with options in a test, I second-guess myself a lot. I am not very confident about choosing the right grammar points, such as determining whether a verb should be in the dictionary form or past tense or deciding whether to use た or ăȘ after a particular noun. I hoped to get advice from anyone with similar issues and could recommend ways to review grammar and improve speed when taking these tests.

During the next few weeks, does anyone have recommendations on how I should study to improve this? I would greatly appreciate any advice on revisiting grammar, memorizing specific conjugations, and improving speed on these tests.

Thank you! :sparkles:

3 Likes

Ironically the way to do “best” in a test like this is to stop trying so hard to “do well”. I mean, you don’t actually want to game the test so much you artificially put yourself in a situation where you’re in over your head. You want the result of the test to be an accurate measure of where you really are.

And then it turns out that “not caring about the score” and putting your first reaction and moving on, well that’s a more accurate measure anyway. BUT, as a bonus, it prevents all those second-guessing anxiety errors and tends to increase your score, not lower it.

3 Likes

Since you have just a few weeks the most efficient method would be to best work out what the test content will be for your level and then intensively study and review any weak areas. If you had more time then I’d suggest just generally improving language knowledge as well.

Having said that, just to echo what ctmf said, the test isn’t there to trick you nor is it for a qualification or something. Since it’s a placement test you don’t want to cheese it and it’s better that it’s a fair reflection of your abilities so there may be some value in just studying as you regularly would until the test. It’s possible the test is particularly unfair and unsuited but assuming the university/course is a good one then they should have a lot of knowledge and experience with placing students in appropriate classes. Basically, if you do somehow place below where you wanted I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It’s hard to comment further without knowing specifics of your study background and the course you’re aiming for so what I’m saying is just general.

If you’ve never lived in Japan before and you’re going to be here for just a year then my personal opinion is, whilst you should of course focus on your studies, you will also get a lot more out of the experience from things outside of class. If you’re as comfortable speaking as you say (which is very impressive for N3, in my opinion) then you should go out and make friends etc. Also reading and listening to Japanese in your spare time, avoiding English etc. Basically my opinion is in the future you should look back at your year abroad and remember all the friends you made and all the interesting books you read rather than remembering classes or textbooks or whatever.

Good luck and remember to enjoy your studies!

2 Likes