Japanese learning iOS apps

So I recently switched to iPhone so I was wondering if any of you would have any good iOS Japanese learning tips/apps that I could take a look at, as I’m completely lost.

I found one for Kanji that I had purchased on Android as is kinda of a shame that I have to buy again, but I’ll probably end up doing anyway.

2 Likes

I really like ‘Yomiwa’ for a dictionary: https://www.yomiwa.net/
…and I also really like ‘Tsurukame’ for a WaniKani client (if you use WaniKani): ‎Tsurukame - For WaniKani on the App Store

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Not exactly an app, but an extension. If you’ve ever used Yomichan, it’s that but for mobile.

2 Likes

Love this one, especially on iPad ! Great for vocab but also isolated kanji. I’m also using ‎Easy Japanese News やさしい日本語ニュース on the App Store

I used previously a lots of apps, like vocab etc, but ended up using the buld-in dictionary …

1 Like

Are the ads over the top? It looked great until the description mentioned they offer upgrades for purchase

1 Like

For a dictionary / flashcard app, I have settled on Nihongo. To me it is just really easy to look up words, create flashcards, add images to the flashcards, and study those flashcards with SRS. They have some recorded audio for some words and (optional) automatic text-to-speech for others. Of course TTS is not perfect, but I find it to be helpful.

One of the great features of the SRS (in my opinion) is that if you miss a day, the SRS does not advance and so you don’t get a huge pile of cards to review. It removes some of the stress of SRS for me.

1 Like