Japanese mindset, the true meaning of まいる

Hi again! When I first started studying Japanese, a word that used to confuse me a lot was 参る(まいる), the reason this word was so confusing to me is because it means… get ready for it… ‘to come, to go, to call, to be defeated, to collapse, to die, to be annoyed, to be madly in love’, oh and last but not least ‘to visit a shrine or grave’.

How can one word possibly have so many meanings, and is there one meaning that links them? The fortunate answer to that question is yes, there is.

In the Japanese language, there are several different types of speech that pay different levels of respect toward the person you are talking to. 敬語 (けいご) for example, which simply means ‘awe filled speech’… honorific speech for short. But something else that is very interesting is that some of these types of speech actually change your ‘mental’ location in a sentence. One of these is 謙譲語(けんじょうご). What 謙譲語 does is take the speaker, and put them in the world of the listener. Essentially, being in the world of the listener instead of in your own world can have a great range of nuances depending on the rest of the sentence. 参る is classified as 謙譲語, and therefore is often used in very polite sentences. However, まいる’s base meaning is very telling, regardless of whether the sentence is postive or negative, respectful or disrespectful.

参る’s true meaning is ‘to be in the listeners (聞き手’s) world’ or even more simply ‘outside of yourself’. What you are actually doing in that persons/things world will depend on the rest of the sentence, hence how this word traditionally appears to have so many potential meanings when it only means ‘to be existing outside of oneself.’

来月、イタリアに参ります。
‘Next month, I will ‘go’ to Italy.’
(Next month, I will be outside of myself, in Italy) I respect Italy as it’s own entity, and therefore make myself unimportant in the sentence’

御社に書類を受け取りに参りますのでよろしくお願いいたします。
‘Since I will come to get the document from your company, please have it ready it for me.’
(Since I will be outside of myself (repecting that your company is not mine) in your company for the purpose of accepting the document, please have it ready)

日曜日は葉山に行ったのですが、渋滞には参りました。
‘I went to Hayama on Sunday, but found myself stuck in traffic.’
(Since my original purpose was going to Hayama without anything going wrong, I was outside of myself when I found that I sat in traffic)

So we can see that whether the situation is positive or negative, 参る will always just show that we are existing outside of ourselves. There are quite a few ways to convey these feelings in English, but 参る works for all of them in Japanese!

To be madly in love - To exist outside of yourself/be swept away by another.

To be annoyed - To exist outside of yourself due to something begrudgingly overextending it’s own presence.

To visit a shrine/grave - To exist outside of oneself in recognition to the dead/god that you are in their home, not yours.

To be defeated - To exist outside yourself in the presence of someone better (To be out of your league)

To die/collapse - To literally cease (temporarily or permenently) to exist inside of yourself.

If you start to read sentences with this ‘being outside of yourself’ meaning in the back of your mind with 参る, I think you will find that most of the real meanings will reveal themselves very quickly.

Again, I hope you found this interesting!

29 Likes

This gives the meaning of 参った so much more nuance. While reading this it made me think of being “beside yourself”, although that has a bit more of negative emotional connotation. Thanks for the post!

2 Likes

参った has that exact nuance of being beside yourself! Another similar expression we have in English that conveys the feeling well is to be ‘out of sorts’.

3 Likes

Sorry, but I don’t understand. Could you elaborate more on what exactly “to be existing outside of oneself”, even means?

2 Likes

Sure, it means that you acknowledge that you’re in a situation where you’re not the 主人. Different languages have different perspectives, English is first person perspective (you’re the centre of the universe), but Japanese also has the perspective of the listener.

There are a few words in Japanese where you can ‘jump into’ the listeners perspective. One if them is 参る. By jumping into their box, you’re either saying ‘I respect you enough to feel like I’m not the main character in this conversation’ (positive nuance), or ‘You’re causing so much of an issue for me, that you’re forcing yourself to be the main character’ (negative nuance).

We have plenty of ways to express this in English too, just not something as universal as 参る. Take ‘out of your league’ for example. That means your existing somewhere that you have no business being due to your skillset. You’re ‘outside’ of yourself/the true place you should be.

4 Likes

@Asher If you keep up with these deep dive posts, I’d love it if they were all collected in some home thread or durable link so it would be easy to find and review them! Or you should consider blogging with stuff like this – you know, cross posted or something, because I know and appreciate that you want to share the knowledge directly here. Very cool.

3 Likes

@quadban I am really glad that you find them interesting! As for collecting them into some kind of home thread, I am not sure if that would be wise, as it might give off the impression that I am 100% right. Usually my write ups are based purely on a hell of a lot of reading and experience with specific words, but I don’t want people to think they are right without being able to form their own opinion about it.

If anything, all I am trying to do is get a few people to say ‘ahhh… now I get it’, while I am more than happy for many others to say ‘nah sounds like rubbish’ hahah.

Who knows in the future though :smiley:

4 Likes

This is a nitpick… While I think this thread is very interesting etymology / word origin story, I don’t think this shows a “Japanese mindset”.

As an English example, we could talk about why “rifle” means both “a long-barreled gun” and “to ransack with intent to steal”. The original word comes from the meaning “to dig grooves” or “to scrape”. When you dig spiral grooves into a long barrel, you create a “rifle”. When you quickly “dig” into a person’s stuff, you “rifle” through their things. Understanding this background doesn’t help understand an English speaker’s mindset. Modern English speakers don’t think of the multiple usages of “rifle” as sharing the same meaning. In the same way, modern Japanese speakers don’t think of the multiple usages of まいる as sharing the same meaning. Understanding this doesn’t help me understand how Japanese think.

Anyhow, interesting stuff! It’s nice to see all the fellow linguistics nerds exchanging ideas. :nerd_face: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for your contribution Fred! I think that’s a really good point, I guess it depends what your view of a ‘mindset’ is, and how it affects the evolution of a language.

Recently I have been reading a book that my partner read at university, it is mostly about the uchi/soto mindset, and the way it affected Japanese culture, including the development of the language. What 参る is doing, is putting you into そと, so I guess that is what I was getting at, as we do not have these concepts in English.

I am not sure if this book is available outside of a university bookstore, but if it is, I would highly recommend it!

5 Likes

Totally with you here! This concept is so fundamental to speaking Japanese and is so hard to grasp initially as an English speaker (me included).

(Boy, that text makes a really interesting connection between uchi/soto culture and the negative discrimination that happens in Japan. I hadn’t thought of that before.)

3 Likes