JLPT December 2020

More than seven weeks’ wait is just crazy totemo taihen osokunai!?
Surely they must realise how meccha crazy that is compared with other exams.
Totemo bakarashiku yabai ze.

:arrow_up: I have no idea what possessed me to write this but all I know is that I’m sat in the office after having drunk the strongest coffee I’ve had for years…

2 Likes

:arrow_up: I have no idea what possessed me to write this but all I know is that I’m sat in the office after having drunk the strongest coffee I’ve had for years…

Now don’t go saying that and NOT drop the name and brand of the coffee! I need it to unlock that mythical “genki” that the ALT trainers are always talking about and I’m not quite sure exists yet.

2 Likes

Don’t stress too much. :slight_smile: Which level did you take?

I took N2 and I am definitely going to fail. The saddest part - test was easy. Really. But it was my first time taking it in Japan and I didn’t have a wristwatch… => when they announced time was up I was rechecking my reading answers and didn’t manage to copy even half of them to answer sheet. Stupid me. Oh well, I’ll get grammar section result, and listening as well… as much as angry and pissed me could concentrate.

Even if I magically copied enough reading answers to pass (I doubt I even filled a third), it is still very sad to not receive score I deserve. Will challenge N1 next time…

1 Like

How long did you study before feeling that you got fair chance at N2? Just curious.

1 Like

Well several years. I am not a good example of a Lerner as I was studying several languages at the same time with full time job. I passed N3 in Europe 2 years ago, and then I was procrastinating a lot, until 2020 when I moved to japan and got more motivation to level up. It is very hard to estimate number of hours I put in the studying really because it was always more of a hobby for me than a real goal. I started wanikani 5 years ago I think? But ready to finish it before JLPT in July this year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So what you are saying is that even more prone to procrastination people have still got some hope?

Uff… I see the light at the end of that tunnel xD

1 Like

Haha, for sure you can do it.

2 Likes

I’m not a massive fan of the JLPT anyway, since it only tests receptive skills and not productive skills. I’m one of the unusual cases where my production is better than my reception. I usually say that if the JLPT were having a casual conversation with a friend and writing a strongly worded letter of complaint or something, I’d have passed my N1 a long time ago :rofl:
But as it stands, unfortunately I can’t concentrate (even in English) on reading long passages, and usually drop it by a couple of points. I really don’t know how I did this time so I’m really hoping and praying that it went well.

4 Likes

Well indeed, JLPT is not a good measure of ones language ability. My room was full of people who couldn’t understand instructions like “put your bag UNDER the chair” or “remove your test vouchers from your desks” so staff had to come and show with fingers to everyone individually what they had to do. and this was N2 level. I was shocked. Obviously when I did go for N3 in Europe this was not an issue. But since most of test takers in Tokyo were from (I assume) China and quite comfortable with kanji they went straight to N2. They would need to guess correctly 30% in listening to pass I guess.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard of Chinese people passing their N1 with little to no Japanese ability, simply because they can read the kanji. I think this shows that the test is at least somewhat flawed. I would at the very least like them to include an interview section - that might just about begin to justify the 7 week wait haha

3 Likes

I work with a guy that knows maybe 100 kanji, but can speak better than a lot of people I know that passed N1. Some people just have really different skills.

2 Likes

This would be a nightmare for people doing JLPT for translation jobs that don’t even need (or want) to speak Japanese haha. When I did C1 in Swedish there was lotssss of talking. If JLPT was the same it would be torture.

1 Like

I finally passed my N2! Two years of dropping down on the reading section by just a couple of points and I finally got through it!

19 Likes

Congratulations!! :tada::tada:
おめでとうございます!!

5 Likes

Wow. Even I passed N2 lol, very surprised after my fail during the exam

13 Likes

How long you do study 0_o?

Your lvl is the only thing I know about you, so I wonder if it was super fast growth :hugs:

It was not super fast. I did take N3 in 2018, passed comfortably, then I was not doing much studies until spring last year when started preparing for N2. Took several years, but on the other hand studying Japanese was always a side project with low priority until I actually ended up in Japan last year :slight_smile: Will go for N1 in July or December this year. I am not so interested in the certificate itself, just want to be confident with the language enough to have the same feeling “oh this is actually easy” that I had during N3 and N2.

6 Likes

:clap::clap::clap:パチパチパチパチパチパチ!

4 Likes

don’t put too much hopes in this. JLPT is not really design to test how “easy” Japanese is to you D :

But is the best we got so nothing to do about it -,-

well, for (near )native speakers it is fairly easy. At least I know a couple of people who were either half Japanese or raised in Japan but foreigners and had to take N1 at some point(because papers are important if you are not Japanese citizen).
So JLPT is not a very hard test. Another point though is that even if it is easy for you, you might still not be well functioning in Japanese because they don’t test how you can produce Japanese on your own (be it in speech or text) .

3 Likes