JLPT December 2022 - Results published / Certificates sent

N1 here. Haven’t done too much book study since summer so I am targeting a perfect 60/60 result for listening to give me the chance. I think this will be my tenth time taking JLPT across all levels. A record perhaps.

2 Likes

Only have to beat the end level boss once to get the achievement…

2 Likes

I’m taking the N3 in Perth, Australia.
I signed up for it months ago and then didn’t study much until I thought I’d better start studying properly just last night…
I’ve joined Bunpro to speed run through N3 grammar. I’ve also downloaded a couple of Anki decks, and I’m doing practice tests on YouTube.
I’m most worried about reading comprehension and listening, so I’ve got some textbooks for that and I’ll practice with those as much as I can in the next 3 weeks.
Good luck everyone :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I highly recommend going for the exam whatever happens just for the experience. Its quite fun to take an exam where there are no consequences. If there is no stress, you may actually do better than you think :smiley:
Plus, it is a multiple choice exam, is some cases there is 30% chance to select the right answer at random haha

Don’t worry and just go for it.

7 Likes

How has the exam managed to sneak up on us like this.
It’s an even craftier exam than I thought :grimacing:

2 Likes

Yes! Just finished Bunpro N3 grammar!

Now I will focus on listening and mock test for the following days until the exam…

I don’t think I will pass, but you never know…

5 Likes

I just did my first practice test and while I passed, my grammar was the weakest. Can’t say I’m surprised! I really need to practice a lot of ~てくれる、~てもらう、~てあげる、~ていく、~てくる
This was for N4, 54/69 correct with five of those wrong in the tiny grammar section :disappointed:

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m in the same situation.
Even though I’ve worked through Bunpro for N4, there still seem to be a number of grammar questions where I just have absolutely no idea :joy:

4 Likes

Taking the N4. My expectation was too pass it, but after a bit of a burnout after the N5 6 months ago, it took me too long to resume my grammar studies. Right now I’m only halfway through the N4 grammar points, so I don’t have any realistic expectations of passing it if not by pure luck, but I’m gonna take it anyway just to see what comes out of it

4 Likes

For me, the seriousness of it being “real” helps me focus, but I’m also able to psych myself into the idea that practice tests are real, so…

It depends on why you’re zoning out. Sleep deprivation or general fatigue? Overwork mentally? Testing stress blocks? ADHD? Masked hearing or vision problems?

Sleep deprivation/fatigue? Work on your sleep quantity AND quality. Set earlier bedtimes, wear a sleep mask and/or ear plugs, start winding down and getting away from screens well before bedtime, finish eating at least 2 hours before bed, reduce or eliminate caffeine and/or added sugar, practice evening meditation, etc.

Overwork? Find ways to reduce your workload, if possible. Say no to non-essential stuff if you can, like that friend who wants your expertise for free, that coworkers who wants you to cover for them, that client with no boundaries, or that boss who wants you to do this extra task “if you’ve got a chance”, etc.

Testing stress and anxiety? Eat some of your favorite candy every time you’re about to take a test, and reward yourself with a good meal after every completion, regardless of pass or fail. Go full Pavlovian. Teach yourself to associate tests with rewards. If that fails, there are different strengths of universally calming substances, some of which require a prescription.

ADHD? Try coming up with a silent stimming behavior that works for you or establishing a routine for how you organize your desk/table for a test. Create a space (that you can replicate in the test) where distractions are not welcome and hard to access. Train your brain to understand that that space involves focused activities. Another thing that could help is just taking a mental break from life info (ESPECIALLY SOCIAL MEDIA) for like a week before the test to really clear your brain of distracting thoughts.

Masked hearing/vision problems? Try increasing the volume of listening practices for one day and zoom in on all text for a different day, and see if your brain is more or less tired than normal after each change.

5 Likes

I’ll be in Sapporo for the N1! Although I also haven’t studied quite as much as I should have lol
I started taking the JLPT with N3 last winter, and compared to the 7 months between that and my taking the N2 last July, I feel like these 5 months have absolutely flown by

3 Likes

I’m taking the N2 in Atlanta.
I don’t have a use for certification atm but it would be nice to have some proof of the years I’ve been studying this language. I’ve just been reviewing Bunpro and my Anki decks and watching Japanese TV and anime (mostly jp subbed).

4 Likes

I’m sitting the N4 in Tokyo. I attempted it 3 years ago but failed by 3 points. I then moved away from Japan and stopped studying Japanese. I returned 9 months ago now. I started seriously studying then, but probably only really focusing on it for the last 4 months or so since my children have been in school. I’ve done so much and my weakest points are reading comprehension and listening.

I’ve revised so many books:

The Preparatory Course for the JLPT N4 Listening and Grammar books
Bunpro through N4 sections
Wanikani to Level 15
短期マスター日本語能力試験ドリルN4 (short term master Japanese language proficiency test drill N4)
初めての日本語能力試験N4単語1500 (1500 essential vocabulary for the JLPT N4)
日本語能力試験N4聴解スペードマスター (Japanese language proficiency test N4 listening comprehension speed master)
日本語N4文法 読解 まるごとマスター Japanese language N4 grammer and reading comprehension marugoto master)

Is it enough already?? I certainly doesn’t feel like it … I think I will achieve a pass, but it won’t be a strong pass.

I wish I could find something that I enjoy reading that is at my language ability level. I struggle with this as a very middle aged mother of young children (read: I’m not into manga or comics . . . ).

6 Likes

Half a month left, and I’m trying to chug over the left 5 lessons of Kanji Kentei 7.

If anything, the deadline is helping me pushing forward the Kanji at a faster pace.

The lodging was a bit iffy because it ends up being on some holidays, so everything is through the roof sadly, including transport.

2 Likes

Have you looked at the reading recommendation sources? There’s a good list over on Wanikani (which is basically the kanji older sibling of Bunpro): The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List! - Resources - WaniKani Community Go to IMMERSION → READING → pick a genre

EDIT: Bunpro has reading activities; have you tried them yet? Log in - Japanese Grammar Explained | Bunpro

2 Likes

I’d recommend as well that you browse a place like learnnatively, maybe you have luck finding

3 Likes

Coach to London booked… :poop:'s getting real, real quick :scream:

5 Likes

Less than a week left and I’m not ready at all in the objectives I gave myself!

Also it doesn’t help that I have some insane work shifts just before the exam.

4 Likes

Figuring out how to turn off the ‘you haven’t moved enough in the last hour you sloth!’ notification on my fitbit for fear of it vibrating during the test and getting me disqualified.
I might just take it off and put it away, use the clock they will most likely have in the room.

1 Like

In the location I go, smartwatches are forbidden, so if you want something on your wrist it has to be a good ol’ analog.

But yes, I will do the same, I’ll shut off mine and put it on the backpack.

3 Likes