JLPT July 2021

The odd (public figure) of passing with the summer test is consistently more favorable than the winter test. Not sure why that would be though.

It could be related to seasonal depression or something along those lines. Itā€™s unlikely that they would somehow consistently make the test easier in summer.

The theory that I heard is that the colder weather makes you more likely to have a cold or be tired and not want to get out of bed or whatever. I doubt the figures fluctuate that much but in terms of content, youā€™re no more likely to get easier questions at any specific time of year. Anyway, I passed my N3 and N2 in winter :joy:

That would almost certainly statistically affect the average scores, and yeh, as you say in terms of test content though there is no difference.

Also July being quite close to the end of the academic year perhaps means university applicants might be more ready to take the test and nudge the average up a bit 恋恗悉

1 Like

Because there are months to study for it. December to July gives you seven whole months to study. July to the December gives you five months.

Well not really, because I think we can safely assume that most people who take the JLPT have been studying for longer than just since the last exam. It took me 6 years of studying just to get my N2 haha

2 Likes

Maybe because the summer test is offered in less places? The Japanese language heavy areas that most certainly have a summer and winter exam would then take up a larger percentage of the total.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be taking the N4 for the first time. Iā€™m still not sure whether Iā€™ll pass it or not, but itā€™s keeping me motivated. Thankfully, I live in Korea so I still get a chance to take it in December. But, weā€™ll see lol.

2 Likes

I was intending to take N4 in July but itā€™s been cancelled in my country. :frowning: So itā€™ll be December at the earliest. Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worth deferring further and working towards N3 once Iā€™m happy with N4 materialā€¦

2 Likes

If youā€™re thinking about skipping N4 and going directly for N3, Iā€™d say take N4. If you pass, great, you have the diploma, and keep working to N3. If you donā€™t pass, no worries, and keep working to N3.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the exact situation Iā€™m in

I just saw that in the US the exam is only available in December. What a bummer!

1 Like

Thanks for replying :slight_smile: Iā€™m currently hitting around the 110 mark for N4 so thereā€™s definitely room for improvement between now and December haha!

Just wrote a ęØ”ę“¬č©¦éؓ for N3 and got 92% (I was told the test is supposed to be exactly the same as actual N3 and was even conducted in the same manner).
I guess Iā€™m set for the real test in July :slight_smile:
Maybe I should have aimed for N2 :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was on the fence about taking it this summer, but I guess Iā€™ve already missed the deadline. Maybe Iā€™ll go for N1 in December, thoughā€¦ I feel like Iā€™ve reached a point where the hardest part of the test probably wonā€™t be any of the actual content itself, but the time limit on it. Iā€™m such a slow, meticulous reader :sweat:

1 Like

Just 2 weeks to go! Whoā€™s in this time round?

Itā€™s now the time before the exam where youā€™re certain that youā€™re gonna fail and you start doubting yourself. Good luck everybody, keep your head up ! Youā€™re gonna nail this
Going for the N2 in July and feeling like iā€™m gonna fail 100% but who knows, itā€™s too late to backup anyway.

1 Like

Itā€™s my first shot at N1 and Iā€™ve always said I probably wonā€™t pass it but itā€™s not impossibleā€¦
Even if I donā€™t pass itā€™s a really good experience for next time.

1 Like

Going for the N2! Nervous as hell about it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

First time?