JLPT July 2021

Just as I thought I failed aha. I did better in the listening then I thought I would have. I really messed up the reading section so I know what I need to focus on. Does anyone have any tips for how to improve on that area??

1 Like

Which level are you taking? I passed N2 with reading as my highest score. These are my methods so take all advice with a grain of salt!

If you can read more! Choose books where you know most of the words but need to check a few (I usually aim to pick books where there is only 1-3 words on the first page I donā€™t know) Or if youā€™re working on speed, choose childrenā€™s books.

Another way is to watch shows in Japanese with the Japanese subtitles on. You can get used to hearing natural grammar flow/ increase reading speed this way. It also helps you to get used to natural pacing in reading. For hard mode, mute the sound and do your best!

Another way I practice reading is to practice comprehension. If youā€™re lower level, choosing things with an English translation available may help you. I practice comprehension by attempting to summarize and/or translate short articles or exerts by myself, checking by either looking at an available English translation or asking a tutor (italki)/ volunteer (hellotalk).

I think reading a lot is the best method of the three. Try not to get hung up on every detail, read as though you are a kid again pushing through your native language. Only looking up words if they appear often. Donā€™t be embarrassed or ashamed to read childrenā€™s books and work your way up.

You got this!! Iā€™m rooting for you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The answer to almost all JLPT questions is Kanzen Master.

1 Like

Itā€™s telling you to keep going and try again.

2 Likes

Already on it, make me motivated even more.

1 Like

Thank you I will try! It was also N2 and reading was my lowest. I do think I need to read more as I do feel that I maybe didnā€™t read enough. Iā€™m reading Harry Potter and going through a chapter a day and playing a text heavy Japanese game which is also all voiced. And when I finish Harry Potter (which I nearly am) Iā€™ll go onto to read another book and so on.

I just need to push myself to read more books. Itā€™s just difficult as I donā€™t even read in English anymore/