JLPT July 2023

Not too sure how well I did on the reading part. It was my first time taking the JLPT, so I treated it more as a learning experience and to see where my gaps are in my learning. I really need to build up my reading stamina… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think mock exams might be more difficult than the actual exam at N2 level due to the lack of knowing the scaling algorithm. Personally, I remember walking out of N2 and being 100% certain I failed but I got above 90 points. Blew my mind, but I think the scaled score along with only needing 90 points saved me. I actually got A for vocab the test prior but failed, and ended up passing with a B.

On the other hand, with N1 I think you will have a tough time passing if you don’t answer 75% of the answers correct.

I respect anyone who passes N1 but I think as far as usefulness goes, there are only so many passages about the behaviour of ants and the like that you can read before it’s apparent the usefulness of the test is pretty apparent To me it just feels like something of a cashcow for the organisers as they seem to be able to attract thousands of people yearly whose actually level of Japanese is nowhere near N1 especially for output.

1 Like

I can’t understand why for N2 you need 90 points to pass, but for N3 it’s 95, for N1 it’s 100, etc.
If they’re already scaling the scores, why can’t they scale them to a fixed passing threshold for every level.
Just contributes to the whole process looking a bit suspect :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah the N2 was quite difficult (for me lol). Well there is always December :smiley:
Thankfully I answered all the questions! Last time I took the N2 (some years ago), I ran out of time and had like 4/5 empty :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I arrived while running a fever, with a headache, and a painful cough, but I got through that N2 dammit. Then I went back to the hotel and slept for 12 hours instead of exploring the city as I had planned. Couldn’t I have gotten sick on literally any other week of the year!?

Now I just have to wait until october whether I’ve actually passed or not. I did have to yolo those last 6 answers in the reading section because I ran out of time…

I was pleased with the audio quality this time around though. Good volume, they checked that everyone is fine with the sound quality, and it ran as audio files on some laptop.

3 Likes

Not sure if it depends on where you took it in the world, but I think usually they say the results are available from early September, but they’re usually actually available from late August.

I took it in Hamburg, Germany.
The guy in front said that the results will be available on the 31st of october, and that we could look at the results online as well, though he didn’t specify whether the october date is for the letter or also the digital version.
I’m gonna learn of when things are published soon enough through other channels anyway, so I’m not too concerned. Not much I can do to change it now anyway.

I also took it in Hamburg and the people in charge told us, that the results will be online end of august/start of september (with the login data from the voucher). Letters are send out in october.

While we are at that topic: they want everything so miniscule precise (like they had a whiteboard with the alphabet and numbers on how we have to write) and the test is scanned automatically - why does it take 2 months to get our results? Not the letters ofc, I get that that may take a while for all students.

1 Like

They scale score depending on overall participants results, so there’s some hidden math taking very long time.

1 Like

Even if they are so busy fudging numbers, it seems a ridiculously long time.
In contrast, the Kanken tests involve examiners checking hand-written responses, but the results are processed in a much shorter time.

2 Likes

I took the JLPT twice before, always at different locations and this time in Hamburg was the first time I was told to write the letters exactly as written on the whiteboard. I got positive results every time despite not using serifs for the I or letting the middle of my M go all the way down. Either the computer isn’t as bad at identifying the letters after all or there’s a human checking the answers by hand anyway.

1 Like

Thank you for your answers :slight_smile:

Yeah I thought that maybe, if something is not processed correctly/the computer threw an error, a human may check the answer manually (though they told us multiple times that the input would just be “invalid” if something cannot be read - maybe just to minimize manual labor :thinking: ).
The pressure I felt from failing simple letters and filling the blobs with the correct shade of black/grey was actually more than the test itself for me ._.

We were also asked to write the letters and especially numbers as 1 and 9 as shown in the example they handed out to everyone. Also they asked us make blobs more darkish after collecting test sheets for the first part. But nothing about being the sheets marked as invalid.

I’m wondering what all the talk about writing letters for the computer to recognize is about.
You just fill in and the computer just scans marks 1/2/3(/4) on the marksheets, right?
There are some additional blobs pre-filled in for your name and test ID number, but that’s it :thinking:

We did have to handwrite name and ID number on the question booklets too for some reason, but not for a computer to look at (actually I have no idea why you have to do that).

We did have to handwrite name and ID number on the question booklets too for some reason, but not for a computer to look at (actually I have no idea why you have to do that).

I assumed the name and ID on the question booklet was so they could see if any went missing, and more importantly who they went missing from.

2 Likes

Yeah, its probably for there reasons.
Naturally the examiners we counting how many questions sheets were given back at the end of each section (in case somebody stole one ) and how many exam asnwer sheets.

1 Like

Results will be available on 21st August :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Officially, results should be available from 10am on 21st August in many countries, but it does depend on the country.

Source: Test Results Announcement | JLPT Japanese-Language Proficiency Test

However, based on past experience, they are sometimes released early, so worth checking as soon as you wake up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Or more realistically

refreshing the page all night while you can’t sleep waiting for the results :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Results are available online now if you’re in Japan :scream:
Good luck and let us know how it went :pleading_face:

But, right when results get released … :joy:

3 Likes

How did it go?

If you passed, that’s great and after celebrating keep going to the next level!

If you didn’t get it this time, the start of December isn’t far away for those in areas where the exam is offered twice a year :slight_smile:

I’m relieved to have passed N3 especially because of having been studying N2 stuff on Bunpro so far, so it’s good to be able to keep going with that :joy:

6 Likes