JLPT July 2024

Since we all definitely passed the JLPT in 2023, there’s no need to worry … but here’s a thread for July 2024 just in case :persevere:

16 Likes

I took N1 about 2 years ago and failed miserably, but there’s a Malaysian guy in my Japanese class who I get on with really well and he’s going to take N1 in July, so I decided to take it with him.
I’ll probably fail again, but hey ho…

16 Likes

I have a pact to do N1 with other people I know in December so maybe will do N2 in July to see what the test day and venue is actually like. This also buys me time so I don’t have to cram as much test specific prep as hopefully an extra six months of general study and immersion will make things easier. Part of me thinks I should just bite the bullet and force myself to study for the July N1 though…

7 Likes

I will definitely apply for the N2 in July, not sure where yet though. Way tooo early lol. I just hope that 2024 as a year goes well and I actually study more… 2023 was a really weird year for me lol.

4 Likes

I’m aiming for N4 but I still have to improve a lot in every section except Kanji. My lack of vocab makes it more difficult to improve my listening and reading as well.

7 Likes

If there is a July JLPT at my location, I’ll take N4 and aim for N3 in December. But if there’s not, I might just be lazy and take N4 in December instead of N3 :sunglasses:

6 Likes

that’s sort of my plan as well, if i passed the N5, i’ll be aiming for the N4 in july, and if its not too ambitious maybe the N3 in december

4 Likes

Gotta see how yesterday’s N3 turned out – if I didn’t pass I might give it another go in July, but if I did I might shoot for N2 in December. Time will tell!

5 Likes

Unsure if I passed N4 or not. Felt good on the grammar, ok on listening, was surprised by how much I didn’t know for vocab/kanji :exploding_head: That was by far my worse section.
To be fair, I only studied grammar/made it to level 9 on WK. I was hoping that living in Japan magically gave me enough knowledge to fill in the rest for N4 lmao.

Signing up either way for N3 in July, and this time I’m actually studying vocab and gonna get up to a decent level in WK too??

4 Likes

I might take the N1 in July, or - more likely - in December of next year; my main problem is listening, for reading I’ll just have to read more to get my speed up to speed, and get some new vocab in. Kanji are smooth sailing, and grammar for the JLPT isn’t real anyway (passed N2 fairly decently last year without any real N2 or N3-level grammar study).

6 Likes

Not sure whether I’ll be sitting the N4 or N3, or even the N5 again.

Would love to do N3 but really don’t know, will have to see where I’m at come March for booking. Could play it safe and do N4 but I don’t know.

I might go to SOAS again though, was a good experience.

4 Likes
6 Likes

If I’ve passed N4, thinking about N3 in 2025. Not sure my listening comprehension can improve sufficiently before then. Guess I can’t absorb things as quick as some of you lot, all power to you! If I’ve failed N4, might try again in July I guess.

5 Likes

336 hours to prepare for a driver’s licence? That’s wicked

4 Likes

does seem excessive doesn’t it.

4 Likes

That is because 24 * 7 * 2 = 336
They have the option to do a 2 week camp to learn for the drivers license.

3 Likes

yes, I read that as well but it still seems a lot. I had 1 1/2 hours for maybe 7 weeks or so theoretical classes and after that 25 to 30 practice hours actually driving. Even if you make it 60 hours. That is still way less then 336 hours and the driving exam in my country is quite difficult in comparison to some other countries I’ve been to.

3 Likes

Since we all definitely passed the JLPT in 2023, there’s no need to worry …

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAWWWWWWWW. Yeah, right.

2 Likes

Think I’ll take N2 in winter 2024. Spending $1000+ just to go to Canada to take the JLPT during summer is just not for me.

2 Likes

It was written with a very large dose of irony :confounded:

3 Likes