JLPT level up timeframe

Hi,
I am curious what timeframe have people who passed several levels of JLPT spent in between each of them. Especially if anyone did achieve a full level up within the same year ? (it seems N1 would be more demanding though)

My aim is N2 and I am torn between passing N3 or go for N2 at the end of this year.
I estimate my overall knowledge somewhere in-between N3 and N2 and most likely will have plenty of time for study this year.
I wonder if reaching N2 level in 6 months is safely doable, or if I may fail then I’d rather go for a safer N3 (which will most likely be too easy though!)
My concern is reading speed which is my weakness at this point and apparently crucial for JLPT test (which I have never passed).

what is your history with JLPT?

1 Like

If you’re aiming for N2, and if N3 won’t actually benefit you in any way, you might as well just go straight into N2.

If you fail, you won’t have an N2 qualification, but you will have had the chance to practice the exam and get a good idea of your overall ability.

That’s the same position you would be in even if you pass N3.

6 Likes

Hey Stephane, a good way to estimate how far you are from N2 level, is by doing some N2 mock tests and checking your grade, if you do one mock test now and pass or get close to passing grades, then maybe its safe to say that with more 6 months of study ahead, N2 would be achievable.

My history with the JLPT began last year, i’m still a beginner yet, started to learn the language March/April 2023, think i started to get serious about it in May/June 2023, then i signed up for the JLPT N5 in december, on the test day i had almost 500 hours of logged study, i passed the test.

Now i’ll take the JLPT N4 this July, i feel like i can pass, but i really need to focus more these last 2 weeks, i need to finish my Bunpro N4 Grammar deck, i still have 15 grammar points to learn.

If i pass, i definetely do not plan on trying N3 december this year, because it seems like a much bigger jump from N4 → N3 than the jump from N5 → N4.

3 Likes

My JLPT journey

From zero, I spent a year (fairly intensively studying in Japan) before taking N3, which I was reasonably comfortable with.

Then ~8 years with no studying :grimacing:
Last year I dipped back into Japanese a bit throughout the year, and this year I started studying (and just reading) a lot more.

I’m taking N2 next month (feeling OK-ish about it).

TLDR ~9 years between N3 and N2 :joy:

I think 6 months between just about N3 → N2 is doable, but would need intensive study, and not guaranteed. As your percent above N3 increases, then it is more and more doable.

To me, the gap between N3-N2 feels a bit bigger than the gap between N4-N3 (but not massively). Both are a lot bigger than the gap between N5-N4, I think.

My intuition is N2-N1 gap is a lot bigger than N3-N2/N4-N3 again (but I could be completely wrong).

2 Likes

I would just aim to do N2 test regardless, as the N3 test don’t give you a lot of value, especially since your goal is N2 and you say you’ll pass N3 easily. For me it would work as a motivation boost because I have a determined goal to work towards. This is my personal opinion, and you have to choose what you think is best fit for you.

1 Like

I think you could take N2 twice in the time it would take to do N3 and then N2. Bonus, if you do well enough on the first N2, you don’t even have to do it the second time.

2 Likes

that makes sense.
I forgot to mention I have a bit of a completionist/perfectionist personality so I wouldn’t be satisfied with barely passing it though. I can see myself passing it twice just to reach a high score anyway :crazy_face: I guess this is why I am considering N3 as well, I know I’d get a motivation boost from it, but failing N2 could do that just as well.

I’ll do the mock test for both just before signing up to give me a clearer idea, especially to measure how much the reading speed aspect is problematic or not as It won’t improve that much in a few months unlike grammar knowledge which will be completed anyway.

I’ve had a somewhat irregular history with japanese as I didn’t intend to actually learn the language at the beginning but was so immersed in their entertainment culture (mainly music, movies and dramas) that eventually had the urge of learning -just- the basics (hiragana, katakana and the most most basic grammar and kanji) and with the pass of time and huge hearing exposure to the language I started to understand more than intended.

After enrolling to a japanese class for the first time and spending a year on there, somehow trying to structure my knowledge for the first time, I got N4 by barely getting the minimum needed scores.

Then I dropped the classes (college was just way too demanding) and never got back to actually study japanese for like 6~7 years. On that time I always kept the intense exposure to the language, thus inevitably learning by hearing, but of course that can do as much and suddenly my japanese knowledge was a huuuge mess.

I got a private Japanese teacher who literally set himself the task of “detangling” my japanese knowledge mess lol and spent about 2 years with his classes, then I applied for N3 and got it at the first try with a fairly nice score (except for reading/kanji which was nearly the minimum necessary to pass) and now we keep working on enhancing my N3 knowledge before even thinking on going for N2 which is a much bigger gap.

Now, I mention all of this because looking at my experience and making a self evaluation by comparing my knowledge and my performance when trying to communicate with japanese people from the moment I got N4 to the moment I reached N3, and it is a big gap not to be underestimated.

After getting N3 I just couldn’t comprehend how on earth I got N4 on the first place because I think my level now is nowhere compared to the one at that time lol
N3 is after all considered to be a much more serious level where the “real” casual and everyday japanese language starts to come around.

Also, various people (even people who has N2) have told me that they struggled much more with getting N3 than any other level because they all coincidentally say that it can turn out to be a very tricky level. Even by having the knowledge and everything, the questions may be tricky and confusing, plus the potential nervousness of a test can turn it into a bad luck combo.

For instance, the texts of the reading part can be very challenging and is probably the most difficult part of the test. By recommendation of my teacher I skipped immediately to that part and started from there, then moved to the other “easier” parts of the test before running out of time. So if you consider that your reading speed is somewhat slow, you may want to focus on that area during your preparation for the test.

In conclusion, you should go for the level that you think is most suitable for you right now but should not underestimate N3.
Also, I think it is a very important level (for all the reasons mentioned before) and it is worth it to have the experience of making the test and all.
If after making the test for N3 you get a very high score on there, then you can be sure that N2 is within the reach and can start working towards it in order to get a good score at N2 as well.

My final advice: JLPT is important to have if you are aiming for something on which you would need to prove your level with that certificate, but reality is that the true test will obviously be the actual performance when talking to Japanese people and/or when visiting/living in Japan, and if you introduce yourself with a N2 certificate, people will expect a lot from you in therms of language, so it can turn into a huge pressure, so don’t rush to get it.
I would suggest sticking with the level that (outside of the test classroom) best suits your knowledge and with the one you will feel most comfortable with in case you need to communicate completely in Japanese.

Sorry for the looooong post lol

3 Likes

In my case, I studied on and off Japanese for 6 years. Took N2 just to see what it is like and failed.
The year after, I failed N3 by a bit. I passed all sections just didn’t have enough points overall.
N3 is a easier and more straightforward test BUT its still difficult!

After a few years, I passed N3 in December 2022.
Took N2 in July 2023 ( a year ago ) and failed by a bit
Taking N2 this month

The N2 exam is not easy, people run out of time and it does try to trick you quite a lot. For N2, reading speed and vocabulary are very important.

Personally I am really happy that I got the N3 Certificate . Its a physical thing that shows others that I am not just studying for “fun”. It has actually opened doors for me.

The best way may be to take a mock N2 test before applying for the exam and see how well you do.
Otherwise if there is no time factor and you don’t need to rush, go for N3 first and get the paper. After go for N2.

2 Likes