JLPT prep

Hey all.

Quick question.

I really like how you study grammar here and found the Kanzen master series for JLPT prep quite heavy (I own all of them actually, just to be safe).

Am I safe preparing for N2 (edit: with respect to grammar) just using bunpro? I have quite huge gabs in vocab and Kanji knowledge which I’d love to focus on more.

Edit: I’ve taken JLPT tests before, and know what to expect structure wise.

3 Likes

In terms of the grammar section I would say so, based on how the JLPT questions are set out.

There is a part of the grammar section in the exam where you need to place the words in the correct order, so for this I would pay particular attention to the order of words in example sentences on BP.

4 Likes

no, JLPT is not only grammar, yes it helps a lot but although bunpro does not cover all grammar (yet), it covers enough to at lest pass the grammar section. But you will need more tools to pass the test, for vocabulary there are other apps that will help you a lot. But for reading comprehension and listening, is just practicing

I suggest you to use Bunpro alongside with WaniKani, as one covers what the other can’t

1 Like

Using Kanzen Master as the main thing and Bunpro on the side is a good idea.
Its much easier to search for grammar points on Bunpro than it is on Kanzen Master. After finishing the grammar points on Kanzen Master you can continue using Bunpro (and other websites / books if necessary for extra info).

I also think that you will be set for the grammar section, considering how many practice questions there are in Kanzen Master.

(Assuming you are taking the December 2021 N2 exam)

Don’t worry about listening until November to have more time to build vocab / comprehension. Try to do some N1 listening exams as normally the JLPT exams are harder…

I would focus on reading and building up your Kanji / Vocab knowledge initially. There is a lot of reading on the N2 exam. Good reading speed is really important. Check out the new Reading Practice Section on Bunpro :D. Going through JLPT reading practice exams are a great idea too, not just manga , light novels , articles. hehe.

For vocab / kanji, writing on paper helps. There is WaniKani, Anki, Renshuu, Kanji Senpai and other Space Repetition Systems which (I think) help boost vocab / kanji knowledge.

Towards the end, please try to do some mock exams as the time limit really affects things :smiley:

8 Likes

Satori Reader I’ve found to be really good for reading. SOOOOO much content with thorough explanations; they even have an SRS component for words/grammar you want to practice. The stories are quite interesting and entertaining. I feel like I’ve improved in reading speed and comprehension since joining earlier this year.

For grammar I’m trying to work through all of N2 here on Bunpro by beginning of Oct, 136/210 studied. I have Kanzen and Sou Matome, practice tests, drill books, etc to help me get to passing. I really don’t wanna take the exam again.

1 Like

Is the gap with your vocab or kanji? And do you already use Anki? Depending on the answer, there should be specific decks out there that will target your exact area and you can simply just delete whatever repetitive words/kanji the new decks have.

1 Like

I think if you use the additional readings supplied by Bunpro for the grammar, you should be okay. (I haven’t passed the N2, gonna take it this year, but Bunpro helped get me through the N4 and N3.)

As far as advice: read. Reading covers almost every skill on the test, apart from listening. But even then, I’ve found reading practice has helped with listening for me anyway. But definitely read read read a lot.

And if you haven’t already, take a practice test, and do it timed. You’ll be amazed at how fast the time passes.

https://www.jlpt.jp/e/samples/sampleindex.html

The JLPT is more “how skilled are you at taking tests” than an actual test of Japanese knowledge. The test quite heavily relies on trick questions, so working in test taking practice will absolutely help.

Best of luck!

6 Likes

Hey Conan, and thanks!

I’m currently in the transition to applying the immersion way of learning Japanese. Thinking about what to read. Probably Netflix with the browser extention “lanugage learning with netflix” and yomichan. Just need to find something that has normal vocabulary. Usually I don’t like anime, and if I do, like Rurouni Kenshin, it ends up being something with a lot of vocab that isn’t used in everyday speach.

My main problem with learning Japanese:
I know that there is a lot that I don’t know, but I don’t know what it is that I don’t know, and JLPT gives me some kind of road. But lately I’ve come to understand that that is some kind of illusion? It doesn’t actually matter, right? Understanding Japanese in the wild should be the ultimate goal, it’s just difficult to just study Japanese in the wild and come across all JLPT grammar points for instance.

So… maybe just doing immersion and pushing through is the best way to do things. Still need to pass N2+ for job hunting purposes though >_<

2 Likes

https://learnnatively.com/

This might be helpful for you. It has a WK thread as well:

I’ve been using the JLPT as a sort of roadmap/gauge of my skills as well, but it is an imperfect test. Just something to keep in mind, so don’t feel bad if you don’t pass it the first time. But using it to guide your studies isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Just keep a balance with native material too. Like you said, the ultimate goal is understanding native Japanese, not just test taking Japanese.

You got this though! :slight_smile:

4 Likes