Kanji

Has anyone tried learning all 2000 kanji in 200 days through anki and is it worth or na it’s about 10 kanji a day?

3 Likes

I studied 1000 kanji in about 100 days. I’ve forgotten most of them despite somewhat regular encounter rate. My personal recommendation is to not rush that much, instead set smaller goals than that.
You could follow N levels or gradeschool levels depending on your goal. I’d say follow gradeschool levels if you are actually living in japan, and follow N levels if you just want to take the tests.

2 Likes

Oh thanks what speed should I go at

2 Likes

There’s a bit more than 2000 Kanji, think more like 40000+. 2000 is a good benchmark for commonly used Kanji, but doesn’t include a majority of characters used especially in specialty fields.

I’m not sure what your learning style is, but 10 Kanji per day can work well for some people if they manage their SLS well. I recommend you start with 5-10 a day and adjust as necessary to match your learning speed. If you notice yourself falling behind at 10 per day, try adjusting your step values in Anki to see completed cards more often, or decrease your workload.

2 Likes

This is about Chinese but in principle it’s the same:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t do it. Knowing kanji is just one part, and you need vocabulary associated with those kanji.

If you did do it you would probably soon forget most of them anyway.

6 Likes

This.

Also crazy how I was at around exactly the 700-800 he mentioned when I started to recognize patterns. I would see a kanji I didn’t know but have a pronunciation for it outta nowhere. Not even on purpose or trying it just happened. This doesn’t work all the time of course but when it does and I look up a compound word with a mystery kanji using hiragana and it actually shows up is the coolest feeling

3 Likes

I wouldn’t necessarily call it learning per se but I use an Anki deck to learn how to recognize all the Jouyou kanji. The caveat is that I studied the most common radicals from the 214 traditional kanji radicals. After doing that, I started adding around 20-25 kanji characters per day and began reading a lot of material with kanji, such as manga, the NHK Easy page, and even searching for words on Twitter. It took me around 3 months to finish, and I would say that most of the kanji stuck with me.

1 Like

I found this thread really helpful that discussed learning kanji: I studied kanji for 2 (and a bit) hours every single day for two years

It’s a sequel to a previous thread which was also worth reading (linked in the original post)

2 Likes

Just adding my two cents here, but I think whether you go for ‘1000 in 100 days’ or not really depends on the person. Some people I know are kanji devouring machines cough @Asher cough while I myself personally find difficulty in directly studying kanji and prefer a slower approach often using media or natural exposure to improve my abilities there.

The main takeaway is ‘do what works for you’. I think everyone should at least give focused kanji study a shot, but if part way through they really aren’t feeling it and aren’t seeing results, I think it’s okay to take a step back and reevaluate how to work on improving.

8 Likes