Lessons per day

Curious, what range of lessons per day should I be doing? 3? 5? 10? It’s a similar system like Wanikani’s setup but I don’t really know how much material I am supposed to be trudging through daily

5 Likes

Depends how you want to tackle it. 1-3 is probably the most maintainable range. I’d also recommend looking through and adding on one’s you either already know, or even that just sound familiar.

Personally I don’t do a specific number of new grammar points per day, but will do a batch of 5-10 new grammar points whenever my number of grammar points in srs 0-2 goes below 3. It probably ends up averaging out to 2 or 3 points a day though.

7 Likes

Wait, I can ADD the ones I know already?
:exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Grammar (at the top) > All > Click on a point > Add to reviews > ‘I know this’

Anyways, assuming you’re averaging 80%+ reviews with ghosts on, you could probably get away with 1-2 a day (5-7 days a week) otherwise you’re going to result in a stupid amount of reviews reallllly quickly. Don’t think of grammar like WK vocab, it’s a lot more complicated and you’ll need to spend more time on it. Try a few things, eventually in about a week or two you’ll get a good indication of whether or not you’re going too fast or too slow.

3 Likes

The other thing to keep in mind, is that while 2-3 seems slow at the beginning, lots of stuff will come back and pile on nearing the end of the srs 6-9 months later. I think 2-3 is the least overwhelming method, and even with that I take a day off sometimes if my load gets too high.

With this, it hasn’t even been a year and I’m nearly completely through n5-n1.

3 Likes

Hi @Tekkera and welcome on board!

Another thing to keep in mind is the “ghost reviews”. Depending on the setting you choose and your percentage of retention, reviews will pile up more or less quickly, which may influence the number of new grammar points you can handle each day.

2 Likes

Something else to keep in mind is your daily reviews.

Eg if your daily reviews go bellow 40, add new grammar point/s. That way things will not get overwhelming.

4 Likes

I am doing 6 grammar points a day (I dont count as lesson) and getting around 36 to 40 reviews a day, since it is N5 it is quit simple for me this amount.

just confusing あの あれ あそこ that keep appearing in reviews all the time, one day I will get them right :smiley:

SRS 0-2 is 2 and 18 ghosts at the moment (it is set to ON in settings). Dont kow if this is the normal way.

1 Like

Max I will do is 2 per day of new lessons.

2 Likes

I tend to not add stuff for a while and then just suddenly add like 30 at once :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I did 10 a day for months and made a lot of progress but I was also spending literal hours a day studying rather than actually using all my Japanese. I usually waited until I waited until I went to the bars on the weekend to practice my spoken Japanese. Nowadays I just do 5 a day when my reviews for the next day are less the 40, much better pace for me and I can usually finish my reviews in less than 30-40 minutes. I also study using Anki for vocabulary and right now I am working on my monolingual transition and reading dictionaries so that is also why I don’t over do it on Bunpro.

3 Likes

On that note, to future me’s dismay, I have added 50 grammar points in the last 3 days…
I hadnt added any since October 17th anyway :flushed:

1 Like

I do 2 a day, on the fairly sporadic days I add any lessons at all. Sometimes I go super wild and do a whole 4 a day!

My lesson pace slowed riiiiight down when I started hitting the higher JLPT levels :sweat_smile: I try to keep my daily reviews around 30.

2 Likes

I do 3 per day, but skip days once or twice a week. I decide on my skip days based on my workload on here and wanikai.
If my reviews take too long an a given day, I skip adding new grammar that day.

2 Likes