Let's go to Japan! A log by yours truly

Be sure to put the time you take onto learnatively if you keep track of your sessions so you can get some nice insights on your reading speed. (Also sent you a follow over there!)

For example, I found out that my speed increases the longer the session I do, or that I’m taking 2h less to do later volumes than the first one to read them completely.

It’s just nice data to see, and it helps to motivate you to keep at it.

1 Like

Noted! Thanks so much for the tip. I’m definitely tracking the time I spent the new book I just picked up!

1 Like

Week 2
My exams are finally over and holidays are starting! I plan to take some conversational and textbook-based lessons on italki. If anyone has any italki teacher recommendations, please feel free to PM me :slight_smile: I haven’t taken lessons on italki before so any tips would be appreciated!

Back to Immersion, I realised that I can’t stick with one material/resource very long. Likewise, I could not commit to using my new flashcard system. I think for now I’ll stop using Flashcards and explore new ways of learning vocabulary that works best for me.

I’ve been reading my current light novel- 迷子になっていた幼女を助けたら、お隣に住む美少女留学生が家に遊びに来るようになった件について everyday. I understand the story without having to look anything up but have quite a lot of unknown words also a bit lazy to search up the words and let them into an excel sheet :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: If only there was a easier way…

Thanks for reading and 頑張って!

2 Likes
Late update but here we go!

What I did this week:

• continue reading my light novel
  • watch all 7 episodes of SPYXFAMILY (top tier)
  • have a conversation lesson on italki
    …and that’s about it 🫤

June goals:

• Finish at least 50% of my current light novel
  • Listen and understand at least 70% of 10 anime episodes (condensed or non-condensed are both counted)
  • practice more conversation with Teachers on italki
  • start listening to podcasts (any tips how to effectively utilise them?)

What I plan to do next week:

• Continue reading my light novel for at least 10min per day
  • Listen to 2 episodes of anime
  • find a good podcast with transcripts
  • take 2 lessons on italki
3 Likes

To me podcasts are just… immersion. Just a way to get as much Japanese input as possible, as you’re able to listen while doing other things (cooking, cleaning, etc.) So I personally don’t really “do” anything with them haha. But something you could do is practice by transcribing them, especially ones that have subtitles, so you can check yourself. (eg. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8dWfySP_cKDMFj6aFfQbFA )

1 Like
Week 4

Accomplishments :medal_sports:

1. Finished my very first light novel - 迷子になっていた幼女を助けたら、お隣に住む美少女留学生が家に遊びに来るようになった件について!

2. Had a few conversational italki classes as well as one textbook-based class. I am very pleased with my teachers (currently I have 3 different teachers)

3. Started using memrise and it seems to be working

What I plan to do this week :spiral_calendar:

1. Find a new light novel to dabble in. Likely 日常の夏休み that was recommended by @Megumin

2. Listen to the 2nd episode of “Learn Japanese from small talk”

4 Likes
Week 5

1. Finished ep. 2 of Let’s learn Japanese with small talk

2. Found a new book to dabble in - 魔女の旅々. I actually watched the anime for this and I quite liked it. Since the anime didn’t take all the parts from the book, I think it would be an interesting read! Inspired by the WaniKani book club, I will make a sheet recording down unknown vocabulary :slightly_smiling_face:

3. Kept up with Bunpro but a bit shocked with the overwhelming amount of reviews per day (60+!) I think I have to learn how to space out my reviews

Next week’s schedule :spiral_calendar:

1. Continue 魔女の旅々1 and try to finish the first chapter

2. Take part in Wanikani’s intermediate book club when they start SPYXFAMILY

3. Watch more anime

4. Finish ep 3 of current podcast

3 Likes
Week 6

1. Had 2 hours worth of Conversation speaking practice in Italki
  2. Watched 4 episodes of anime (Yuru Camp :camping:)

Plan for next week :spiral_calendar:

1. Finish 4 more episodes of Yuru Camp :camping:
  2. Have 2 more hours of conversational speaking practice
  3. Finish Tobira Chapter 2
3 Likes

Super late update (last post was over a month ago!). School has started to get more and more busy with less time to study Japanese. I also had a newfound interest in the Korean language so I’m dabbling in that.

I have been more active on the Natively forums this month but I plan to post more often on this community (maybe once every two weeks?)

Anyways, I had a few more classes for Japanese, finished the 1st chapter of Tobira with my teacher. I also finished all of Yuru Camp Season 1 and 2 (amazing anime). Although I wanted to pick up a new light novel to read, I had difficulty sticking with one novel all the way. I stopped コーヒーが冷めないうちに, 魔女の旅々 and 義妹生活.

4 Likes