Let's play Kanji Shiritori! 漢字尻取をしましょう

Shiritori (しりとり) is a Japanese game in which the players are required to say a word which begins with the final kana of the previous word.

Kanji Shiritori (漢字尻取) takes this concept and applies it to kanji, meaning that the players are required to say a word that begins with the final kanji of the previous word.

Rules:

1. If you repeat the same word within a game, you lose and a new game will begin.
  2. The kanji that your word starts with doesn’t necessarily have to have the same reading as the final kanji of the last word, for example, it is valid if one plays 投手 (とうしゅ) and the next person plays 手紙 (てがみ).
  3. Unlike in normal Shiritori, the reading of a word is allowed to end in ん, but words must not end in 者, as there are no words that start with 者.
  4. Words are allowed to have kana as long as the words start and end with a kanji. For example, 折り紙 is a valid word, but 久しぶり not, because it ends in kana.
  5. Multiple kanji overlaps are allowed, that means you can start your word with more than just the final kanji of the last word. For example, if someone plays 学校生活, it is valid to play 生活費 as the next word.
  6. When a word uses the 々 Kanji, the following word will start with the Kanji that 々 is repeating. For example, if someone submits 丸々, the following word starts with 丸.

Example Game

• Player 1 - 運 (うんどう) - exercise
  • Player 2 - (どうぶつえん) - zoo
  • Player 3 - 園芸 (えんげい) - horticulture
  • Player 4 - 芸能者 (げいのうしゃ) - performer
  • Player 4 loses and starts a new game.

There is also a standard version of しりとり going on in this thread for anyone interested!

I’ll start with something that we surely all love to learn hehe

漢字(かんじ) = Kanji

12 Likes

字幕 = subtitles

Let’s go!!!

5 Likes

幕電まくでん

I think we should still include furigana when possible to help players who don’t know the Kanji being played. It’s easier to look up hiragana than it is to look up unknown Kanji if you don’t know what you’re doing, or understand stroke order/radicals.

6 Likes

電源 (でんげん) = Electric Power Source.

4 Likes

電源回路でんげんかいろ

NOTE: Just another comment, what would be the starting word for this game? 尻取り won’t do, as it goes against rule No. 4, though we can use its other form 尻取. We could also coin a new word, 漢尻取 (かんじりとり) and even name this game after it. If we agree on this, we can add it up to the rules and ammend the title of the topic.

4 Likes

路地(ろじ) = alley, path

漢尻取(かんじりとり) definitely sounds very cool! You have my vote!

(Also, is is just me, or does the light mode of the forums have a completely new style now)

5 Likes

地図ちず

I noticed exactly the same, new outlook for the community!

4 Likes

図書館としょかん

I do not like this rule, personally.

Whenever I would do Kanji Shiritori, the starting word would be picked arbitrarily, as unlike normal shiritori, your list of possible words is heavily determined by the previous word. Having a set start word needlessly constricts the number of words you’d be able to see in a game by a lot when compared to how many words have Hiragana overlap versus how many words have Kanji overlap.

I gave it a little thought, and we could use the Kanji of the day (月 for Monday, 火 for Tuesday, etc.) but that might be confusing, and time zones makes standardizing that impossible. It may be fun to start out with various Bunpro related words, like 文字、漢字、文法、単語、and others like 日本、勉強、練習、but at that point it would essentially be picking a new word arbitrarily.

4 Likes

館長かんちょう

I think you are right. What about the name, though?

4 Likes

•長男•ちょうなん ー Oldest Son

漢字り取り、漢尻取、漢尻取り、or just 漢字のしりとり all work in my opinion. I think 漢尻取 is really clever word-play though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Completely agree.

男性 (だんせい) = Male.

4 Likes

男性的だんせいてき - manly

4 Likes

的場 (まとば) = Target Area.

4 Likes

- place, spot

(but also field, occasion or movie scene)

4 Likes

場合ばあい ー Case, Occasion

5 Likes

Yeah, that definitely makes sense, I see how it is not a good idea to start from a certain word like 漢尻取. I like the wordplay, though, so if you have no problem with that, I will replace 漢字のしりとりwith 漢尻取 in the thread title :grin:

合図(あいず) = signal

Btw @Pablunpro thanks a lot for adding the example game!

4 Likes

図鑑ずかん

Bitte sehr! It was my pleasure. :bowing_man:t2:

5 Likes

鑑定(かんてい)judgement

5 Likes

定年 (ていねん) = Retirement Age.

4 Likes

•年中•ねんじゅう ー All year round, Whole year

5 Likes