Listening/reading aid recommendation (mobile friendly)

I want to get used to listening to natural speech (while following the script), but for some words I need a quick definition in order to make sure I actually understand.

My goal is to see the definition of a word quickly without pausing the audio or with minimal pausing.

I’ve tried the following:

:black_small_square:︎ Takoboto (current solution)

• Takoboto’s “Reader”. I can use it to add the podcast’s entire script which it parses and with one click I can see the definition on the bottom. See example here: https://imgur.com/a/F3ErB91

• downsides: during a 30 minutes episode, it crashes ~3 times. Also, not all words are highlighted, but it feels like it’s a small amount enough to not bother me. The crashing is what’s most troublesome.

:black_small_square:︎ Kiwi browser & Yomitan

• downside: have to long press in order to get a definition, which can be slow given that I want to keep up with the speech, I can fall behind and lose track of the audio/text.

:black_small_square:︎Reading Tutor

• link: Reading Tutor Homepage

• downside: This would’ve been perfect, but I think it has a limit to how much text you can insert. I tried copy-pasting the script of a 30m episode, but it would just cut off somewhere in between

Testing: I tried adding the text from ep 286 of “4989 american life” podcast. https://www.4989americanlife.com/post/ep-286-引越し4つのピンチ

Device: Mobile (Android)

I am posting here in the hopes that somebody knows some mobile friendly solution that may not be as easy to find.

The Takoboto solution I am using right how doesn’t make it obvious or easy to find the “Reader”, so maybe there are some other apps with such hidden gems that work better than Takoboto’s.

4 Likes

I haven’t switched to yomitan yet, but Yomichan gave you the option of what triggers the definition popup, I had it set to a single tap. Can you not adjust this in yomitan?

1 Like

I found this which seems to be the closest setting to your screenshot.

But nothing is happening. I don’t know what else to do…

Are you using “yomichan” on mobile?

I’m wondering whether it can even show on single tap on mobile at all…

Yeah I’m still on Yomichan with kiwi for mobile. Haven’t had the need to use yomitan yet, so I’m not sure what it’s settings are like. Mostly because I haven’t been browsing Japanese text recently, but I just tested out Yomichan to check it’s settings and it still works fine for me. Yes, even a single tap press on mobile. I remember having to test the input types to see what would work. Had to play around for a bit in the advanced configurations (the earlier screenshot), but eventually made it do what I wanted

Screen_Recording_20240718_094805_KiwiBrowser-ezgif.com-resize

The downside to the single tap function, I have to have Yomichan off when I’m not actively using it. It kept trying to “help” me whenever I pressed the screen (as I set it to), even for English, even for on screen buttons like “checkout” or page navigation menus. It won’t activate if you tap the screen for longer to scroll, but for buttons it got annoying

4 Likes

You’re absolutely correct, I managed to set it up! I did a complete reinstall of both kiwi and yomitan just to make sure and played with the settings you mentioned above. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

You can actually set Yomitan to only scan on Japanese text!

That way, you don’t have to toggle it on and off so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heck yeah (⁠=⁠`⁠ェ⁠´⁠=⁠) didn’t know that was a thing thanks so much!

1 Like