楽しみにする - looking forward to

Hello everyone,
when I looked for the lesson about expressing “looking forward to …”, I noticed that I couldn’t find it. But to my knowledge, it should have something to do with the み suffix, as in たのしみ. Is this not covered here, or did I just miss it? If it’s not covered, is there a reason for it?
Thanks for your help.

1 Like

as far as I know you can transform some types of adjective into nouns using the suffix .

But, 楽しみにする is a different case is an expression, there is no lesson about that. Expressions is something that you have to memorice

Also, this lesson (にする) may help you.

2 Likes

Just had a look.
Looks like it’s a Vocab point. The link can be found here.

Make sure to enable Beta mode in the settings to access Vocab/Decks.

3 Likes

Thanks for your responses.

@xgc1986 I saw those two grammar points as well, but somehow find it difficult to combine this two the “looking forward to” translation.

@veritas_nz: For me it’s just strange that this is only a vocab point, while other phrases like ということ or suffixes like かな are in fact grammar points.

Being able to say “I’m looking forward to …” would be a grammar point in my opinion.

1 Like

Somewhere there needs to be made a distinction between what is considered a Grammar Point and what is a colocation/expression.
Because then what would you call 「楽しみに待つ」? A grammar point or expression/colocation?

In my head at least, 〜にする/〜ということ/かな all definitely feel like grammar points.

I’m sure @Asher will have an opinion too.

1 Like

It’s tricky. Basically I think where we draw the line is the difference between common expressions and grammar patterns that have several interpretations. For example とする is just a mix of と and する, but because it has a very specific nuance, it’s classified as grammar (also because it’s on the JLPT exams.)

Colocations are just compounds that generally only have one specific meaning. Especially ones that don’t have an obvious meaning. 楽しみにする would just be considered a mix of the noun form of 楽しむ, and にする. So rather than being a grammar point itself, it is just a regular word that is using the にする grammar point, which we already have. Note that the み is not the み grammar point in this case, but just the standard noun form of 楽しむ.

5 Likes

Quick tip - Not sure if this works 100% of the time (but it should). Check a Japanese dictionary for words ending in み, if it is in the dictionary, chances are it is a proper word, not just a word using the み suffix. み suffix words are generally not in Japanese dictionaries, as they are just compounds made to express a specific point, not stand-alone words.

3 Likes