Mark answer as incorrect after certain hints

Hi, I hope this isn’t a duplicate topic; I did a quick search and couldn’t find one with the exact same subject. I apologize if this has been brought up before!

This is something I’ve noticed a few times but haven’t bothered to ask about until now: I reviewed this just now, with the following sentence:

大変____忙しい仕事
“The one that is difficult is a busy job.”

I type in "のは” and get a hint: “Can you add something before のは?”. This is nice, but after correcting my input to “なのは”, my answer is still marked as correct in the summary afterwards. I would much more prefer my answer to be marked as wrong, generate a ghost review, and not advance the SRS stage, since I indeed did not remember the grammar point correctly (without the hint).

I still like that there is a hint but clearly I need some more repetition, and marking the answer as wrong after letting me try again is the behavior I’d expect.

Note that this is different from the hints that can pop up when there are multiple valid answers to a sentence; those are fine, since a user can submit an answer that is correct, but not the particular one expected for that grammar point. In my example, “のは” was simply not correct (I think?)

Am I misunderstanding the system, or is this the intended behavior?

4 Likes

With the current system, it’s your choice. Sometimes I just fail for some stupid reasons (forgot the past tense, …) so I re-write the answer. But sometimes, it’s a real error (I’m struggling with あげる-くれる-もらう) so I just decide to not correct myself (pressing Next), and see the question again in a few reviews. This way, I can choose if it’s considered as Good or not

7 Likes

It’s an intentional feature to allow you to fix dumb (unintentional) mistakes.
If you want it to still mark it incorrect and create a ghost, you can hit backspace, type “a” (or something incorrect), and hit enter to let it record it as incorrect.
Bunpro has a very flexible answering system. I believe they’re working on more tutorials for the review system. :slight_smile:

More reading related to how ghosts are generated:
Ghost Reviews (Update! July 12, 2018) - #9 by Pushindawood
"Reanswer" button bug - #2 by MissDagger

8 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion, and for the links to the posts on ghost reviews!

I think your suggestion is probably the best option right now, but I’d really rather get a wrong answer for invalid Japanese, and use the “Oops”-button for trying again if I notice that I mistyped something, or accidentally read the question wrong (as per Tornadoo’s answer). Manually marking my own answer as incorrect takes a bit more willpower, and also involves thinking about whether or not the hint was a fair one, or one that I’d want to fail myself for.

For some hints, I’m not always entirely sure myself if what I had typed would actually be valid Japanese or not, so I’d feel more safe with the system itself being clear with me on that :sweat_smile: (I.e. if it was a “Wrong, but close” or a “Also correct, but not what we were looking for”.) I can imagine that there might be some grey areas where the “wrong-ness” isn’t as clear though (thinking politeness levels).

It’s not a huge deal, of course, but it would still be nice to see an option/change for this at some point in the future, to allow the system to be a bit harsher when dealing with completely incorrect answers (again, I really like the hints that pop up on correct-but-different-grammar-point answers!). I do realize it might not a high priority though (if at all) if it isn’t a common problem for others as well :pray:

3 Likes

Probably a way to do this in the future, would be to have in the Options screen something like:

“Tick this if you want Bunpro to generate a ghost review for an answer that generates a hint”.

hehe I do type “a” just like @FredKore suggests… :joy:

2 Likes

Mark yourself as wrong, my dude.
Or … don’t. You have the power!

2 Likes