Minna No Nihongo path paging

Hello, I just started Bunpro and I have a few interrogations about the Minna No Nihongo path.

For example there is in chapter 1, the grammar point “じゃない” which I did not found in Minna No Nihongo; when checking the reading section there is みんなの日本語 I : Page 14 [CH 1], problem is this page is chapter 2 and not about this grammar point. In fact almost all grammar points seems to be linked to the wrong page in the readings section.

I’m pretty sure I have the latest edition of Minna No Nihongo, so I’m quite lost about what’s wrong here.

I don’t own the book but I did a quick google search and could find a couple people talking about the lesson that involves じゃない. I also cannot believe a textbook wouldn’t touch on じゃない at all so perhaps you missed something? What edition are you currently using? I’d guess that the website doesn’t use the latest edition.

Well I’m lesson 6 in the book and I have yet to see じゃない. I use the second edition, but it released at least ten years ago so I don’t think Bunpro would use the first edition.

Do you see them using じゃありません? I’m looking at scans of workbook for chapter one and I see じゃありません, so perhaps they don’t teach you じゃない until later?

1 Like

You’re right, I didn’t realized it was the same grammar point, still a little strange but ok. The only problem left is the wrong paging then.

1 Like

Yeah I figured that was the case right after I posted my last message. Page numbers may or may not be messed up due to a bug if i remember correctly. じゃない is probably just one grammar point so you don’t have 3+ separate things added to the SRS, I can see how it can be confusing as a beginner.

Although I believe if you strictly stay to the MNH path the sentences you run into will incorporate grammar that’s from the generalized collection Bunpro has for N5, etc. It’s why early on I switched from using the tae kim path to just going in order and then using tae kim/etc. for explanation as I went along. Everyone works different obviously, just a lil’ heads up~

Ok thanks for the help! I hope they will fix this bug soon, it’s not that important because I read the book before doing it on Bunpro but can be sometimes annoying.

I just looked in my books. I don’t see any mention of じゃない in MNN I, but they do talk about じゃありません which is in Chapter 1, on page 6 in both the 1st and 2nd edition of the textbook. The corresponding grammar in the grammar notes book is on Page 14, so perhaps that is what the page number is referring to.

2 Likes

I checked for many grammar points, and it seems you’re right, its referring to the translation book; problem solved. Thanks.

G’Day, I think Bunpro is using version 1 of Minna no Nihongo. There is no syncing with version 2. Additionally, there is a lot of casual grammar that is never mentioned in the text. I find this very frustrating and it defeats the purpose of following with a book. I think version 1 was published in 1998 and version 2 in 2012…

1 Like

I am pretty sure this is the case. It took a couple of lessons to realize bunpro grammar is definitely using the version I of Minna no Nihongo. What a shame…

It should also be worth mentioning that MNN1 follows predominantly polite language structure, hence the reference to じゃありません instead of じゃない in Chapter 1. Bunpro doesn’t make this seperation between grammar points (since politeness is a toggle). So if you want to encounter the grammar point as it would be seen in the textbook, I recommend swapping Bunpro to be polite by default.

1 Like