Minor Updates Changelog [July 8th]

Hey All!

July 8th

Change to the styling of the grammar point writeups:

Our main goal with this was to fix the readability issues that the old style had. This version isn’t a finalized version but as we continue improve the site, we will keep looking for opportunities to make the content we have more accessible and readable.

There were a plethora of small bug fixes and adjustments made since the last post as well.
Some of those include:

• over lapping text in reviews (edge case),
  • odd hover state on the navbar,
  • bug where English sometimes didn’t show when clicking “Show English” on vocab

June 25th

Switching this into more of a small quality of life improvements thread rather than make a new one.

• Thanks to the suggestion from @Slysoft. Reviews have been changed to come due 1 hour earlier (for >= 24 hour intervals. i.e. 7 days becomes 6 days and 23 hours). This won’t impact your normal study hours but will let you adjust the timing of pesky reviews that are in off hours as you can adjust your reviews forward an hour to get all of your reviews to line up at the time you want.

• The SRS count tiles on the dashboard have been adjusted as follows:

• Changed naming from SRS 0-2, SRS 3-5 etc to named categories that follow the same breakdown.
    • For anyone studying vocab, there is now a Grammar <-> Vocab toggle option so that you get a clearer picture on where each type of review is at. (We have plans to make the SRS tiles clickable to see which vocab/grammar are in each category)

• Reading Passage toggle options now look like toggles

• Fixed styling on the information section for Classic theme(pending release).

June 23rd - Change to Review Rounding

Not really sure if this deserves its own post or not, but we switched the rounding of review timing to be from half hour to full hour rounding.

Previously, reviews were rounded down to the nearest half hour interval :00 or :30.
It was suggested that that be changed and after the team discussed it, we agreed that in the vast majority of cases, full hour rounding is superior.

This change will also help address the issue with review forecast charts being a bit misleading as not all reviews were due at the top of the hour.

As a note, this change won’t impact reviews that have already been scheduled for review.
However, any new reviews or reviews done during your review sessions will be scheduled again in the future using the new hourly rounding format.

As always, thank you for your continued support and suggestions for improvements :bowing_man:

39 Likes

thanks for the update!

7 Likes

Thanks for this. Good change. Has there been any discussion about rolling back reviews similar to wanikani? (IE, 23 hours instead of 24 hours).

9 Likes

Thank you very much. This will make things a lot less frustrating.

3 Likes

Thanks guys for implementing it so quickly. I’ve only suggested it like two days ago. Really impressed with the speed.

4 Likes

Nice update, will make finding when reviews are due less confusing :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion. This was another thing we discussed as a team and again came to the conclusion that in the vast majority of cases it is superior.

This change is live and like the one for review rounding, will impact future review timings (not any currently set for review).

1 Like

Switching this into more of a small quality of life improvements thread rather than make a new one.

• Thanks to the suggestion from @Slysoft. Reviews have been changed to come due 1 hour earlier (for >= 24 hour intervals. i.e. 7 days becomes 6 days and 23 hours). This won’t impact your normal study hours but will let you adjust the timing of pesky reviews that are in off hours as you can adjust your reviews forward an hour to get all of your reviews to line up at the time you want.

• The SRS count tiles on the dashboard have been adjusted as follows:

• Changed naming from SRS 0-2, SRS 3-5 etc to named categories that follow the same breakdown.
    • For anyone studying vocab, there is now a Grammar <-> Vocab toggle option so that you get a clearer picture on where each type of review is at. (We have plans to make the SRS tiles clickable to see which vocab/grammar are in each category)

• Reading Passage toggle options now look like toggles

• Fixed styling on the information section for Classic theme (pending release).

5 Likes

Nice. Sounds great. These two things were the main things that I would’ve wanted to change. Happy to see them become reality.

3 Likes

Thanks! Would it be possible (or is it already possible) to see a list of grammar learnt based on the SRS stage? E.g. for cramming purposes, to be able to just practise the “adept” points or whatever.

3 Likes

That will be part of the clicking to show the breakdown update. :+1:

5 Likes

ありがとうございます!

2 Likes

July 8th

Change to the styling of the grammar point writeups:

Our main goal with this was to fix the readability issues that the old style had. This version isn’t a finalized version but as we continue improve the site, we will keep looking for opportunities to make the content we have more accessible and readable.

There were a plethora of small bug fixes and adjustments made since the last post as well.
Some of those include:

• over lapping text in reviews (edge case),
  • odd hover state on the navbar,
  • bug where English sometimes didn’t show when clicking “Show English” on vocab

As always, we would love to hear any feedback you might have about these changes! :partying_face:

8 Likes

I think this looks a lot better

4 Likes

I will say that I’m not sure if this is supposed to say Caution three times, but it seems excessive

1 Like

You’re right, the number of Caution’s should be at least 6 or more, that was a mistake on our end.

jk, good catch and it’ll be fixed in a jiffy!

Hello,

Am I the only one that zoom up the page (a lot) when reading the examples in the writeups?

I still find difficult to read the most complex kanji and, strangely, I don’t need to zoom in other websites but only in Bunpro.

In any case thank you Jake for this update.

2 Likes

Noticed how nice the new styling looked and came to check the forums to see the changelog. Loving the readability, it was an immediate improvement I noticed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do have this problem particularly with furigana, some of them are so small it’s hard to tell if it’s a き or さ and also the tenten are almost impossible to make out on things like ど and it can be hard to tell the difference between tenten and maru on the ひ line. Obviously my solution is to git gud and learn more kanji.

1 Like

I’m quite delighted by this. It was admittedly harder to read before, and even though I didn’t feel it was bothersome enough to complain about it, I’m glad you guys updated it.

2 Likes