Missing grammar list

Not sure if this counts, but なら at the beginning of a sentence means “then”. I don’t think that specific usage is on here.
The sentence I ran into was “…そう。なら、本気で殺してあげる。” which means “I see. Then I’ll really kill you.”

を前にして

I can’t find this particular instance on Bunpro.
かと言うと - you would think that ~ but (that is not right) via DIJG page 114.

Example: 日本人はみんな寿司が好きかと言うと、そうではない。

I came across this in a light novel I’m trying to read but couldn’t find it in Bunpro, although I found it in my Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar:
とする(1) and とする(2)
Does Bunpro have this and I just didn’t search correctly?

1 Like

っこする

Sarah discusses it in this video (~20 minutes in)

2 Likes

まして/ましてや

前もって

not sure if they might be discussed during other grammar points, but couldnt find them via search

• となると
  • いっさい … ない

且つ

てまで

Hi all, apologies if this is not the correct forum and happy to be redirected.

The very first grammar point within Quartet 1 textbook Lesson 1 (といえば) is not included in the Quartet I [Grammar] Deck.

がため(に) being a more old fashioned written form meaning “because” - e.g., 自分のような女が母親であるがため (this is from the sentence I saw this in)
んがため(に)being a more old fashioned written form meaning “in order to” - e.g., 買わんがために

Sorry if it these are mentioned in this thread already. I had a quick look and I think they aren’t but I might have missed them.

1 Like

Got this one :relaxed:

1 Like

Whoops - thank you!

1 Like

One that I just spotted in the wild that I think would make a good addition to Bunpro: AといえばA. This isn’t the same one in A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns or the Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate/Advanced Japanese Grammar. I’m referring to when the same chunk occurs before and after といえば, as in this explanation.

Interestingly, unlike that page, the quote that I found in the wild didn’t have が or a contrastive second clause. It’s from this article about 和算. The sentence occurs at the bottom of the first page: 「これに対して、日本古代の数え方は十進法ですから、これが特徴といえば特徴です。」

1 Like

(my company give me a premium access to busuu.com)

Today I faced a new grammar point I did not know, and that I couldn’t find on bunpro: つきの

It says that this grammar point can give a new function to an object.

カメラ付きの携帯電話 is a portable phone with a digital camera

The kanji were from my ime, looking it up in kanji or hiragana is a miss on bunpro. The grammar explanations on busuu are pretty dry.

Another examples bellow:

1 Like

This is just 付く in a nominalised form used as a suffix. See this:

㋑名詞の下に付いて、そのものが付属していることを表す。

And the definition in English as well.

I think the meaning is fairly clear without explanation.

1 Like

ちっともわかっていやしなかったのです

The やしない in this sentence is missing (maybe, it is so hard to search) and not on the new update list. The example is from 人間失格. The grammar is listed here as “N0” so maybe it is on your as yet unpublished N0 list already.

1 Like

Hi Y’all! If possible, could you please make future requests in this thread here.

This thread will be getting closed as we have compiled and moved all requests over there.

6 Likes