Missing grammar list

Since you guys have finished with all of the grammar points that you planned previously from the book I assume you will start working on other grammar that is not part of the books?

In which case here is a convenient list of things that I found in the wild while reading books that you might want to include in BP.

I will keep updating this list as I see more stuff.

Stuff that you definitely need:

• あり (opposite of なし)
  • あっと
  • と言うのも
  • verb+がいい
  • ずく (relying entirely on)
  • 僅か
  • you have というわけではない but not と言う訳だ
  • おおよそ
  • ~ざる (i.e. ならざる, 見えざる)
  • ~まんま~
  • ならともかく
  • となると

Stuff that you might want:

• とけ (short imperative form of ておく)
  • なさそう
  • なかろう

EDIT (05 Feb 2020) - a few more grammar points you need:

• いずれも
  • ~ごとく
  • がん~ (e.g. がん見)
  • ~っぷり
  • ~やがる (e.g. しやがる)
  • ~振り (e.g. 無茶振り)
  • それまで
  • ~めく
  • およそ

EDIT (22 Apr 2020) - a few more grammar points you need:

• 気もする
  • むず
  • やや~
  • すら
  • あわよくば
  • なりに
  • なにやら (you have どうやら, but no なにやら yet)
  • どうにか
  • ことで (example: 彼の入院は急なことで、みんな驚いた。)

EDIT (29 March 2021) - a few more grammar points you need:

• 多少なりとも
  • とは (I think this needs to be a separate grammar point because it is used as a consistent separate construction)
  • ~たりして (as an ending for sentences)
  • ~ぞう (everyone knows this, but what does it actually mean? you can encounter it not just in anime, but even teachers use this at school as I found out)
  • ~できて (sentence ending)
  • ~にされると~
  • より~ “more/even more” adverb (e.g. “より虚しい…”)
  • 次第に (you have 次第で, but it is a completely different grammar point)
  • 訳あって~
51 Likes

There is one for ~ざるを得ない

2 Likes

Well, it is a different thing obviously :slight_smile:
~ざる by itself is a form of negation. Classical maybe? Since there are words like でござる :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s used that way in the expression too, so the “Reading” links there explain it.

They also say it’s pretty much only used in that expression in modern Japanese. I wouldn’t know, though.

2 Likes

Nice list. Here are a few that do exist in BP already.

https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/696

Think this an N1, hopefully on their list. I assume ざるを得ない is a most common entry, at least they have that entry.

They have a couple examples in this entry
https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/105

と(も)なると - same thing, right?
https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/752

This sounds like a dialect, do you know where?

3 Likes

I’ve seen it by itself a lot of times. Just as verb stem+ざる. In completely different situations. But only in manga and anime :slight_smile:
I understand its meaning, but I have no idea what “flavor” it has and why you would use it compared to other forms of negation.

Definitely not. This is as I described it above, just a short imperative form. Rather than a dialect it is more of a slang. Again, I have only seen it in anime and manga :slight_smile: Though, to be fair, I don’t consume much content in japanese other than that, so maybe it is used often in other media too? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t personally put ておく contractions in as a grammar point. It seems like that would open the floodgates for a lot of other short forms that can be easily learned through exposure, like ら行 being slurred into ん (止まらない → 止まんない); volitional + か being contracted (行こうか → 行こっか); い becoming え in emphatic/jocular speech (こわい → こえぇ) etc.

Since ておく contractions are so common I definitely think it would be worth having a note on that grammar point itself to make mention of the fact.

Or just add it anyway so I can insta-burn and get some more XP :wink:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t personally put ておく contractions in as a grammar point. It seems like that would open the floodgates for a lot of other short forms that can be easily learned through exposure, like ら行 being slurred into ん (止まらない → 止まんない); volitional + か being contracted (行こうか → 行こっか); い becoming え in emphatic/jocular speech (こわい → こえぇ) etc.

Perhaps all those contractions could be tucked in under one point?

1 Like

I mean, there are lots and lots of ways that textbook Japanese gets adapted to spoken language. I think the best way to learn stuff like this is to start reading native media or listening to people talk (in movies/anime/podcasts etc).

2 Likes

I just came across an interesting turn of phrase that can maybe be added to future grammar points. I guess this is a good thread to post it in :upside_down_face:

I was watching a let’s play of some spooky game, when the player mentioned that the thing she dislikes most after ghosts is bugs. The way she said it was:

• おばけの次に虫が無理。

(It’s possible that I’ve mistranslated/misinterpreted, but I don’t think I have.) I thought this was interesting because Japanese opts for 次, differing from English using “after,” and then the use of が on 虫 lines up nicely with my understanding that が works for emphasis on the word it appends to, like bugs are what she can’t stand.

5 Likes

@Kai Maybe I should include other suggestions back into the first message? :slight_smile: If you don’t mind I can include yours.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if でも何でもない is actually a grammar point but I came across it in a manga and Googling it says that it’s N1 grammar

2 Likes

How about になると to compliment となると

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, but yeah, an all-in-one-place compilation would be good to have!

I guess my suggestion would be の次に (or maybe just 次に, or (の)次に, depending on how this usage of 次 can be used on verbs :thinking:)

4 Likes

Another suggestion!

「verbて」+ ちょうだい

as as a casual request to do something.

As described on Tae Kim’s guide to grammar here

EDIT:

Also from what I can see, the imperative form is completely missing. Having searched the forums, this was “on the todo list” back in March '19.
食べろ
飲め
and the exceptions
しろ・こい・くれ

11 Likes

Also に値する
to deserve something, using dictionary form of verb which is pretty tricky

6 Likes

Just working through chapter 19 of Genki II, and I would’ve liked a 〜てくださってありがとうございます grammar point to go with the 〜てくれてありがとう grammar point that already exists.

I also wonder if it might be useful to have grammar points for honorific verbs like ごらんになる, or whether one should just learn those while learning vocab? I think it could work in Bunpro, like you’d get a casual sentence with みる and then have to turn it into a honorific sentence.

I am also missing 〜ておる or just おる (Genki 2, ch. 20) generally. It’d go with いらっしゃる.

2 Likes

Is 尊敬語’s られる・れる on the site? Or am I just blind?

Edit: And while I’m at it, using Integrated Approach, I’ve come across: ただ and に限らない .
Pretty sure there have been more in this book that aren’t on Bunpro, but those are the recent ones.

4 Likes

@conan
られる honorific is not on the site (yet)
But it is on the to do list. I plan to introduce it asap, since it is very common and easy way to make honorific verbs.

6 Likes

Seems adding this one would be neat

3 Likes