Missing grammar list

https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/416

2 Likes

I am aware of the conjugation, just not that it could be used in a sentence like that.

2 Likes

That’s why you’re meant to read the readings :wink:

1 Like

Technially I believe the user is referring to the くて which in this instance means and? Connecting two adjectives together. I don’t think Bunpro teaches that but could be wrong.

3 Likes

I’m also pretty sure that Bunpro doesn’t have an entry for conjugating anything but positive verbs into the て form. You come across them in other grammar points eventually, sure, but it’s definitely something that should be clearly laid out in N5 from an early stage.

4 Likes

They could potential put it under this:

https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/470

This is how the Grammar Dictionary (Intermediate) placed it (p148). Sub-categories may help here which mixes various grammar points under one heading, such as compound sentence forms.

3 Likes

Even so, the て form grammar point is on verbs, and doesn’t mention i-adjectives at all. Also, na-adjectives also have a て form (although I suppose it might just be the て form of だ, which is you know not mentioned either). So adjectives aren’t mentioned at all, nor how the て form of adjectives can be used to stack adjectives.

Even outside that, it might be worth mentioning what the て form is used for on BP itself, and not rely on users checking out the readings. (Mentioning all uses might be overkill, but at least mention what て form does when it is all by itself.)

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to add a lesson on conjugating adjectives (i and na) and how you can use them.

9 Likes

Well, that’s one heck of a coincidence. I was kind of following this about the て form. While
the “and” meaning may be very easy to understand from context, a simple point about it with very basic examples would be a good addition.

I said coincidence because I wanted to suggest a point about the “stem form”. And it seems it’s also called “masu form” or 連用形 (which is the name of the point linked here by s1212z ). **

I’ve done pretty much only N5 points but I’ve found it several times already (enough to understand and look up how to get a verb’s stem form). But since one of BunPro’s advantages is the fact that you don’t have too look up stuff to save time, a point about it would be useful.

Just in case it’s not clear, the point linked has that name, but the meaning is slightly different from the one in the Tofugu article. The BunPro point shows the grammatical function but not the “stem form” conjugation of the verb which is what I needed.

** Source:

5 Likes

Here are a few more grammar points that I’ve seen a few times in the wild. I think all of them are relatively common to consider adding to BP.

• いずれも
  • ~ごとく
  • がん~ (e.g. がん見)
  • ~っぷり
  • ~振り (e.g. 無茶振り)
  • ~やがる (e.g. しやがる)
  • それまで
  • ~めく
  • およそ
7 Likes

限り used as unless… unless unless has the same meaning as “as long as”.

4 Likes

Found in Integrated Approach page 210: verb(plain)気になる “to feel like v-ing”

Also page 210: v(volitional)としたら “when I was about to v”

6 Likes

One I just noticed seemed to be pretty simple, but was missing

なぜ/何故
どうして

Quite simple grammar points, but one’s I haven’t really covered in detail and went to see if I could do lessons, only to find them missing!

5 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

I think they could add in the definition so it shows up in searches (otherwise ‘as long as’ sounds replaceable to me).

2 Likes

I can confirm this! I never learned the negative te-form except through the other grammar points on Bunpro that required it. I was absolutely baffled by it for a while before realizing that there did indeed exist a negative te-form. Which I guess is one way to learn it…

Are there other resources on the negative te-form? Alternatively, I think adding it as an N5 grammar point could be really useful for some of the grammar forms later on (though it isn’t terribly difficult)

2 Likes

If it’s not already covered by 文プロ, then maybe the negative て-form should be split into two grammar points: なくて and ないで? I sometimes catch myself tripping over which I should use (or at least, having to pause to think about it).

Edit:

More specifically, I think it was ~なくてよかった or ~ないでよかった that I last wondered about. After some brief searching, it seems that they’re both valid, but there are other scenarios where the two aren’t interchangeable: https://www.alc.co.jp/jpn/article/faq/03/2.html

6 Likes

There’s one for ないで

なくて is just basic い-adjective て-form, bunpro doesn’t seem to have a lot of items for these fundamentals in general

3 Likes

Right, ~ないで is exclusively for verbs (i.e. incompatible with い-adjectives) as far as I’m aware, but negative verbs can function adjectivally (like when they’re in front of a noun to form a relative clause). So… there’s some overlap in the applicability of ~なくて and ~ないで, but it’s not a complete overlap.

2 Likes

Reposting this comment by @notgreen here to consolidate:

7 Likes

From Integrated Approach on page 246:
Nたら・Nったら = informal topic marker, gives a sense of surprise, disbelief, reproach, etc.
よっぽど・よほど = considerably; really; to a great extent

5 Likes

I thought that grammar was on Bunpro already? I’m sure it’s there under N3?

3 Likes