I found a sentence-ending ぞう but I don’t think it’s useful enough for bunpro:

ぞう・ざう
〘連語〙 (「…に候」の意の「にそう」の変化したもの。一説に、助動詞とも) …でございます。…です。
*謡曲・自然居士(1423頃)
「その舟漕ぐ櫂のことざうよ」
*浄瑠璃・源頼家源実朝鎌倉三代記(1781)六
「御成りぞふと呼はって、襖披かせ立ち出る御大将時政公」

3 Likes

Interesting! Definitely not what the OP of this point meant though surely. This piece of grammar doesn’t even appear on eow.alc.co.jp which firmly makes me think it is obsolete.

2 Likes

I am missing the ては from Tobira:

The ては that is currently listed in the Tobira grammar path is a completely different grammar point.

2 Likes

@Melanthe
Hey :blush:

This grammar point is already on bunpro:

We will replace the wrong lesson in the tobira path :+1:

Cheers!

@mrnoone hey, sorry to ping you, but I just wanted to ask if what I’m posting here is useful to you guys :slight_smile:

I spend quite some time specifically compiling that list of grammar points, so I just want to know if it makes any sense for me to continue with it or not.
I.e. is this useful to you in any way, or are you not planning to use points from this list anyway and will only limit yourself to the grammar points present in formal textbooks?

2 Likes

@Kuromaku
It is useful for sure :blush:

When we are done with the N1 we will start adding those!

3 Likes

Thanks! Perhaps related to the search bug that I couldn’t find it, hehe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Two entries from Tobira ch. 13 that are not on Bunpro. Not sure I’d class them as grammar in the first place, but I thought I’d mention them anyway:

And here are some missing grammar points from ch. 14:

And here is chapter 15.

This one corresponds somewhat, but is not listed in the Tobira path.

This one has a grammar point associated with it, but it’s not in ch. 15 of the Tobira path (though it is in 6, for some reason it’s in Tobira twice). It’s also slightly lacking, as it only mentions the ‘both… and…’ meaning, not the ‘some… others…’ meaning.

I noticed the てしかたがない and て以来 grammar points are the wrong way round in the Tobira path. てしかたがない comes first in the book.

I also believe this grammar point is missing:

In chapter 10, there is this usage of という:

But in the Tobira path, there is just the normal ‘quoting something’ という. None of the example sentences show this particular ‘hearsay’ usage of it where it is at the very end of the sentence.

We have 〜てほしい, but not 〜てもらいたい and 〜ていただきたい. There is a note about 〜てもらいたい on the 〜てほしい page, but I’d love separate grammar points for those, so that we can practise with those sentences (otherwise I’ll just end up forgetting :woman_shrugging:).

Shin Kanzen Master N3 Bunpou also lists 〜(さ)せてもらいたい, 〜(さ)せていただきたい and 〜(さ)せてほしい (p. 44). One could argue that they are superfluous and easy to figure out if one already knows 〜てほしい, 〜てもらいたい and 〜ていただきたい. Here too, though, I would argue that the more practice the better!

3 Likes

I came across an expression ending with “かよ.” The sentence was お前かよ。(It was translated as “Seriously, you too?”.) I couldn’t find this grammar point in bunpro, but the search bar doesn’t always work properly for me. :woman_shrugging: I found an explanation here and here, but it would be nice to have it in bunpro. :grin:

1 Like

Any news on this?

A missing (maybe already planned?) JLPT N1 grammar point: ~なくもない

Example:

Resource:

1 Like

This is consolidated under なくはない since they are interchangeable and I believe both entries are excepted.

1 Like

Sentence-final こと for cautioning/instructing (Shin Kanzen Master N3 Bunpou p. 46) also seems to be missing.

1 Like

I think you’re looking for this:
https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/199

1 Like

I’ve seen that one, but こと and ことだ are presented as two different grammar points in the Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns:

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 19.12.09
(p. 120)

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 19.12.44
(p. 124)

On which note, there are also two つもりだs listed in that book. One for intention (which is on Bunpro), but also one for conviction:

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 19.14.53
Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 19.15.42
(p. 253)

It would be nice to get practice with both kinds.

2 Likes

This is consolidated under [こと], see orange text (https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/98). I suppose a choice whether to make every nuance a 12 sentence entry or not. Would be great to have the note in the entry and not just select sentences.

I thought book examples were reasonably clear given the context but would be nice to be reminded in BP examples just to know the grammar point can be used this way. Again, probably a choice on entries… I want to say that have been some later example sentence that have use the nuance as describe here but that is impossible to search. But this was a N5 entry so they kept example sentence as simple as possible. It would be nice feature to parse grammar points in the whole sentence library on BunPro (not just intended entry) for broader examples.

2 Likes

As a general rule, I’d rather err on the side of having too many separate grammar points than too few. If too many usages are consolidated into a single grammar point, you might only get ‘tested’ on each individual usage two or three times. It kind of breaks the SRS, because you’re not actually spaced-repeating that particular usage at that point. I’d rather just get 12 sentences per usage, so that I can be sure I will actually remember it.

Up to this point (N5-N4) Bunpro has been really good for helping me remember all the grammar points, but now that I am using SKM N3 I am running into a lot of limitations. There isn’t enough granularity for me right now. Too many things that I would like to practice with are only available in the form of little notes in the grammar info.

8 Likes

I cannot find ちょっと even though it is quite a common word.

Informal non past + んじゃなかった. From what I’m reading, it means “I shouldn’t have done x.”

Something felt a little bit off when I was reading a sentence with this grammar point and I almost overlooked it in a sentence structured similar to 食べるんじゃなかったか, which threw me off because of the tense mixing because I thought it was saying something like “I will eat, didn’t I?” which makes no sense.

1 Like