N1 Update! - February 5th, 2021

The first batch of N1, Lesson 5 is here!

Verb[volitional] + にも~ない - cannot… even if one wants/tries, would like but cannot, wants/tries but cannot

い-Adj[く] + もなんともない - not… or anything, not at all, not, by no means, definitely not, nothing like that

に至っても - even when

Verb + だに - just, even just, even merely

~なり~なり - or, either or

Cheers!

January 24, 2021

The fourth and final batch of N1, Lesson 4 is here!

に至って・に至り - when it came to, only when, only after, go as far as

だに + しない - not even, not at all, never could have

がてら(に) - on the occasion of, while … as well, while … (one is) at it, during, along the way

Verb[ない]んがため(に) - in order to, to, for the purpose of

(の) + いかん + に関わらず・によらず・を問わず - regardless of (whatever … is), irrespective of (whatever … is)

Happy studying!

January 12, 2021

The third batch of N1, Lesson 4 is here!

くらいなら - would rather…than, rather than, better off

ってば・ったら - I said…!, I told you…!

ずとも - even if not, without, don’t have to

とあって - since/because/due to … (it is no wonder that)

でもなんでもない - not or anything, not at all, not really, by no means, definitely not, nothing like that

December 27, 2020

The second batch of N1, Lesson 4 is here!

る〜に〜ない - cannot even…if wants, would like to…but cannot, wants to…but cannot

なくして(は) - without, if not for

のなんのって - so much that, extremely, very

にかかっている - to depend on

てやまない - never cease to, always, sincerely・greatly, from the bottom of one’s heart

December 14, 2020

The first batch of N1, Lesson 4 is here!

いな - whether or not

たら〜で - even if, if

べくして - as expected, meant to, supposed to, destined to, sure to

まま(に) - as (one likes/feels/pleases), spur of the moment, wherever one fancies, spontaneously, on a whim

かれ〜かれ - or, either or

Cheers!

December 4, 2020

The fourth and final batch of N1, Lesson 3 is here!

まえて - based on, considering, keeping in mind, taking into account, therefore

ゆえ - because, the reason is, due to, therefore, so

Noun1 + という + Noun1 - every single, each and every, emphasis, everything that could be called

にとどまらず - not limited to, not only…but also, not stopping at

おもいきや - thought…but, when…thought that…but, despite having thought…

Cheers, and stay safe!

November 19, 2020

The third batch of N1, Lesson 3 is here!

たる(に) - to be (in a position of), as a, for

(の)なら〜で - if ~ should, before ~ should

をものともせず(に) - making nothing of, ignoring, in defiance of, regardless of, disregarding

にはたらない - no need to, cannot, not worth it to, not suitable

ものと - think that, believe that, expect that, have confidence that, absolutely

Cheers, and stay safe!

October 19, 2020

The second batch of N1, Lesson 3 is here!

が最後 - once, now that, as soon as

いかなる - what kind of, no matter what kind of, no … (with a negative verb); any… (with a negative verb)

なりに・なりの - in ones/its own way, of someone’s own, do ones best in one’s own way, as much as one can

Verb[passive] + ままに - do as (one is told/ordered…), in accordance with, in compliance with, just like

にまつわる - surrounding, related/relating to, associated with, connected to

August 26, 2020

The first batch of N1, Lesson 3 is here!

からある・からいる - as much as, as many as, at least

にして② - to be ~ and ~, to be ~ as well as ~, both ~ and ~

つ〜つ - two contrasting actions

くまでも② - just, only merely, strictly

であれ〜であれ - whether or, or, no matter which, in either case

August 9, 2020 Update

The fourth and final batch of N1, Lesson 2 is here!

にしてみたら・にしてみれば - for, in the case of, if A were to look at it, in the eyes of A

だの - things like, and so on, or something, and whatnot

くまでも - to the (bitter) end, stubbornly, persistently

- for the purpose of, in order to, to ensure

ところ(を) - when, while, in spite of (the circumstances), regardless of (the circumstances)

July 16, 2020 Update

The third batch of N1, Lesson 2 is here!

〜たまでだ - just, merely・simply, only

を経て - via, through, after (experience at job/university/etc.), pass through

ながらに - while ~ing, born (with), traditional, as always

たなり・なり - while… ~ing, remaining, not/ever since, keep/leave

の極み - ultimate, extreme, utter, epitome, peak

P.S. @Melanthe We have also added the last missing Tobira grammar point!

〜かは〜によって違う・〜かどうかは〜による - depends on, changes depending on, differ depending on - Tobira Chapter 1・Bunpro N3, L3

July 1, 2020 Update

The second batch of N1, Lesson 2 is here!

をもって - as of, with, effective from

とはいえ - though, although (I admit that), be that as it may, nonetheless

ならでは - unique to, only, impossible if not, expected only of

ですら - even

あっての - exist only because of/due to, owe everything to

June 3, 2020 Update

からする - about, or more, over, starts at

にして① - at, over, in, only (after/when/because)

ものを - but, although, if only, I wish I had

であれ - even if, even, no matter

をおいてほかに〜ない - no…but, nothing else but, none other than

からする - about, or more, over, starts at

We hope that everyone is staying safe.

Cheers!

33 Likes

Great! I was waiting for that. Thank you very much.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to spoil the party or whatever they say, since I’m also very happy that you started adding N1 grammar, but…

Even current 12 example sentences are too few while N1 has even less than that, as few as just 6. So, I would really like if you can first finish existing grammar points in N1 before adding new ones (such that all have 12, like lower levels). So that we can actually get any use out of it. I intentionally wait and not study any N1 grammar because it has too few example sentences right now.

4 Likes

Thanks for this update! I’ve been looking forward to more N1 material.

Personally I disagree with @Kuromaku… I would prefer you focus on adding more grammar points first and bulk up the number of sentences later. Obviously more examples is always better, but we can start learning from a grammar point with only a few sentences, especially since the Self Study option lets us add more. But if the grammar point is not even in the system, there’s nothing to learn.

In fact, I would prefer if you just make all the grammar points available as soon as possible, even without sentences. That way I could at least start using the platform to study them with Self Study.

16 Likes

well thats okay but bunpro has since time beginning always started with fewer sentences and only after some lessons were done they added more sentences

4 Likes

Here is the interval chart for those curious. I guess one could potentially burn all 6 sentence-N1 grammar points within a week though most mortals will have some ghosts to deal with…unless these sentence have been restructured to fit a different SRS interval given the number of sentences.

I’ve got plenty of other lessons to work on but I’ve added a few N1 lessons just because I’ve encountered them.

5 Likes

This

4 Likes

Thanks for the update! I’ve been eagerly awaiting more N1 grammar, and totally agree with @catlife that I’d prefer more grammar first. Speaking of, I can’t help but wonder when the final Future Grammar (未) point か~は~による in N3 is going to be added. It’s just kind of sitting there all alone.

9 Likes

Excellent news! One step closer to being the best grammar learning resource there is.

4 Likes

well that’s your opinion, I’d rather get new grammar points even if they have 6 example sentences

7 Likes

Agreed; while I can see the issue from both angles I would be more likely to renew my sub if the N1 material was wider rather than deeper. In my opinion 5 new grammar points with 6 sentences each is better than 0 new grammar points with sentences being added to older lessons.

The benefit of having lots of sentences is that there’s less danger of memorizing the sentence instead of the logic behind it, which is certainly a noble goal…but having more distinct grammar points would increase the likelihood that we would run into our recently-learned material in the wild, which is where the magic really happens.

At the same time, releasing so many new grammar points that the devs can’t maintain pace and fill them in would be a shame since it guarantees repetition; the fastest you can reach level 6 is 15 days, at which point there’s nothing to do but show you sentences you’ve already seen. If you’ve gotten a few reviews wrong during that time, the repeats will come even sooner.

Self-study is a nice feature and it would be nice to have the option (I’m sure some people, including myself, would even be happy for new items that consist only of a summary and links to external resources, which they could then populate with sentences from elsewhere), but realistically there are probably a lot more people who would be confused and frustrated at the complete lack of ready-made quiz content.

5 Likes

@Pushindawood Could we get an update on this? I am working through Tobira at the moment and I’d love to add this grammar point to the pile.

2 Likes

@Melanthe Thank you for your inquiry. I think that when we were adding new grammar points that were missing from Tobira, we were on the fence about adding this one since we had all of its components as separate grammar points already. For that reason, it got shelved so that we could focus on more relevant grammar. Now that you bring this to our attention, I think that it deserves its own slot and we will see about adding it in the near future. Cheers.

2 Likes

The second batch of N1, Lesson 2 is here!

をもって - as of, with, effective from

とはいえ - though, although (I admit that), be that as it may, nonetheless

ならでは - unique to, only, impossible if not, expected only of

ですら - even

あっての - exist only because of/due to, owe everything to

Cheers!

19 Likes

Thanks! I am just a bit of a completionist… gotta catch 'em all! :smiley:

6 Likes

yay more grammar!

4 Likes

The third batch of N1, Lesson 2 is here!

〜たまでだ - just, merely・simply, only

を経て - via, through, after (experience at job/university/etc.), pass through

ながらに - while ~ing, born (with), traditional, as always

たなり・なり - while… ~ing, remaining, not/ever since, keep/leave

の極み - ultimate, extreme, utter, epitome, peak

P.S. @Melanthe We have also added the last missing Tobira grammar point!

〜かは〜によって違う・〜かどうかは〜による - depends on, changes depending on, differ depending on - Tobira Chapter 1・Bunpro N3, L3

Cheers!

20 Likes

I saw this was updated yesterday; finally, N3 is complete! Thanks to all of Bunpro team’s hard work!

6 Likes

Woop woop! Thanks for taking my request on board :smiley:

8 Likes

Hi. I’ve been using Bunpro for the last 2 years almost and can see how it fast-tracked my japanese grammar learning. I’m doing a test plan (from N3 to N1) and curious to know if you have an estimated amount of grammar points that will go into N1?
Should I expect around 200 like the previous levels?

4 Likes