N3 in December... keep learning new grammar from N2?

Hi there. I’ve signed up for N3 this December. This is me:

• Covered all Bunpro grammar points for N3
  • Moved on to learning N2 grammar, and am about 25% through N2
  • Learned about 800 kanji from Wani Kani and will continue learning new kanji and vocab
  • Doing test practice online and with my tutor

My main question is for the N3 test-passers:

• Was any knowledge of N2 helpful in the N3 exam?
  • Do you think I should keep learning new grammar from N2 while preparing for N3?
2 Likes

I’m in the same position and started on N2 - my thinking is as long as you’re not neglecting your N3 revision then it can only be a positive to know more grammar/kanji/vocab.

I’m also hoping if I get a little more used to the higher level texts, when it comes to doing the N3 in December, it should feel better.

3 Likes

I didn’t pass N3, but I will say that the vocab lists are general guides and not really what is on the test. Having more N2 knowledge is more beneficial than soley having N3 knowledge, but knowing all of the suggested N3 vocabulary, you have a good chance of knowing enough of the words on the test to pass.

4 Likes

There are no official lists for each level for grammar and vocab. The labels study resources use are based on the past version of the test when there were official lists but the current N3 test can and does contain words and grammar from the other lists.

Your goal should be to increase your general level of reading and listening comprehension, knowing more words and grammar does that.

For reference, most study sources recommend a vocab of around 3500 words for N3, but when I took it I knew about 6500 or so words and had memorised every word in an N5, N4, N3 and half of an N2 vocab book and there were still some words I didn’t know in the real test.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply! You made a good point about getting used to higher level texts.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you. I have realized that expanding my vocab is essential to prepare me for N3!

1 Like

Read extensively and any N2 grammar points that you come across multiple times, add them individually, as opposed to following any sort of path.

3 Likes

I am way over-prepared in grammar, under-prepared in vocabulary.
I think the opposite would much more preferable regarding JLPT.

Still a balanced study is the best in the long run

1 Like