Need helP?

The time isn’t entirely wasted as you still will learn something. I have felt exactly the way you have and I also hopped between a few different resources and methods when I started learning - it’s perfectly natural. Learning Japanese takes thousands of hours so getting comfortable with how you personally want to learn in the first few hundred is completely reasonable.

If that’s what you want you may also use jpdb decks, it can teach you kanji with mnemonics and all vocab you want, in order, and has tons of customization. I personally prefer it over wanikani and anki, but do with what you like the most.

Is your uni profession japanese? wanikani and/or bunpro costs 15 euro or somewhat per month. Planning to finishing wanikani in two years let me assume that you have alot of freetime. Why not just do a part time job?

2 Likes

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/644800276 What about this

May I ask how many times did you swap resources while learning

20 hours hehe. Friend Japanese and language learning in general is a marathon not a sprint. 20 hours is a strong week or a decent month.

Na I average about 45-48 hours a month but I stopped a deck just feels like shit felt like I wasted time

Dude I’ve killed so many decks they were never a waste. Just stepping stones.

Of course depends on the person 1 hour a day is common that’s 7 hours a week 20-30 hours a month. If you are a student that can put in 3-4 that’s closer to 20 a week. That was my point.

As far as worth I can tell you Bunpro has consistently been one of the highest and most consistently updated Japanese resources I’ve found.

Question was trying to get to n4 with a good score how long should I study each day I passed the n 5 mock exam with more correct than wrong but it wasn’t a good score my strongest skill is kanji I know about 250 ish and I have a Genki anki deck with 2k 6k as well should I increase or decrease my study I am 1h and half a day no breaks tho. Ps getting n4 within the end of next year would be preferable

Ok that is a more tractable problem.

I would say depending on what kanji you studied that is probably close to the right number. If you have 90 minutes a day 20+20+20+20 with some wiggle room, that gives you four chunks to work on each thing. Maybe work on solidifying the kanji you do know for one block. Similarly for the vocab. The next one on grammar and the last should be some input, like reading or watching or listening to something in Japanese.

I would really not obsess on the exact number of known words, as you study and input look up words that you feel like you should know. Our brains are built to learn words especially useful ones.

If you still want to use the 2/4/6K go ahead but you could use that deck as a dictionary. When you look up a word add that card to your reviews. I’ve done that before it’s a common enough strategy. 一石二鳥だろう

1 Like

Yea I use wanikani so it’s easier to practice, my goal is. N1 within five years I started around July Isha my goal for each year is to progress each through the n ranks but I am not actively studying for the test. I usually spend the most time on wanikani around 50 mom doing reviews\ lessons and the rest doing anki stared the couple decks so I am guessing it going to shift soon when reviews start to pile on doing 20 ish new cards a day

1 Like

Always good to have good goals.

Don’t get caught in the trap of learning about the language and not learning the language itself.

Side note. I have noticed more and more that people are starting with Wanikani and I am curious about it. I have my disagreements with it, but I recognize it was developed to solve the problem of Poole who already knew a decent amount of Japanese but were struggle with reading.

That purpose has been muddled over the years. Seeing people start with it without appreciating the problem it’s trying to solve is curious. I have felt that it’s way more useful when you have struggled through some reading and came to the feeling organically that there must be a better way.

Just starting with without context delays the immersion aspect of the language they is often neglected.

Anyways back to the main topic.

5 years to N1 is reasonable. Just don’t set yourself up for failure. Burn out is a common issue with overly aggressive Anki users. 20 a day is a lot in 6 months.

2 Likes

Wanikani for me is the easiest way to learn kanji, the deck is quite new so I am just doing as much until reviews go over 100, I have another question let’s say I pass n1 with a bad mark would I still be considered n1 or n2

At the start I swapped maybe 4 or 5 times before settling. Besides that I frequently try new things on the side of my normal studies, normally I don’t pick any of them up though.

Do the Tango N4 deck and work through a JLPT focused resource like Sou Matome. JLPT is actually a simpler goal to work towards as it is fairly well defined compared to “become fluent” or whatever.

Easily achievable goal if you study. Go for it.

Each rank takes more time than the last so I would personally change this goal to take that into account unless you are planning to be doing 4-5x as much studying in the last year.

I personally think Wanikani is bad but for people it works for I would still recommend re-assessing around level 20 as it becomes a massive timesink without much reward (I think). Some people can’t live without it but there are many cases of people becoming addicted to Wanikani and not actually learning Japanese (“I’m level 60 and going to try pass the N4 after 3 years of studying for two hours a day!” kinda thing).

It still counts as N1. Most people only scrape a pass. N1 doesn’t mean you perfectly understand everything on the test (although that is a good goal in itself). You should ignore most online JLPT self-assesments honestly as people lie or overestimate their ability massively. Pay more attention to the content of what someone says. Also many online learners are hobbyists who don’t live in Japan so they don’t speak the language (nothing inherently wrong with this) - in my experience they can massively overestimate their ability as following a TV show is far far easier than having a multi-person conversation in real life. What I am saying is that although passing N1 is a clear marker of a reasonable higher-intermediate ability in the language it doesn’t tell you much beyond that; the ability of people who pass N1 varies massively.

2 Likes

Hey bro can you check this out and tell me if it’s worth studying thanks your help would be much appreciated

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/644800276

If you are using Genki and want to memorise all the vocab then it is good, yes. There really isn’t a massive difference between the beginner resources other than style. Read through some of the many guides about how to learn online and just choose the resources/guide that resonates with you the most. I can’t tell you anything that they don’t already cover more comprehensively.

Seriously. This is the post that makes the most sense. Why not get a side gig or a part time job? We are talking about $5/mo for bunpro. A handful of hours of paid work, that you will be wasting anyway trying to figure out how to save this $5/mo, will earn enough money to pay for a year of bunpro.

1 Like

The problem is that i dont know his situation. I for example learn japanese at a private school in fukuoka, and work part time job at a fast food chain called CoCo ichi.

I have to say, even despite sometimes feelings of anxiety because of my bad japanese, the coworkers are very friendly, and its actually the best work experience ive made so far in live.

Do you get a free curry during the shift? :eyes:

no but i get a 50 % discount on the base price, and additonal costs like extra spice and additonal rice are for free, so instead of paying like 1100 円 i pay like 450 円.

1 Like