New Grammar! - March 24, 2020

@monkeytunes Thank you so much for the kind words! We are glad to hear that you are enjoying the Paths feature. We hope that we can continue to provide you with the content and tools that you need on your Japanese-learning journey. Cheers!

@Kai

No! maybe Thank you so much for your insight on あげる and くれる! We have updated Bunpro to reflect your and @seanblue’s suggestions. Please let us know what you think. Thank you also for your kind words! It is comments like yours that reminds us of why we do what we do and drives us to make Bunpro the best it can be. Cheers!

@matt_in_mito We are glad to hear that you are finding the newly added grammar helpful. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience. Cheers!

4 Likes

I’m afraid of getting confused when trying to do ~dake and the new shika~nai. I noticed that the highlighted hint for both of them is “only”, but from my reading I think it might be better for the highlighted hint for shika to be closer to “not more than” or “not exceeding” . (I turn the English off, so I only see the highlighted hint in my reviews.)

This works better in my head for remembering the negative verb ending, too. It might be that it’s more obvious the more familiar you are with it, and I found the extra Wasabi reading really, really helpful (more so than Genki’s textbook entry.) for telling them apart.

3 Likes

Thanks again for all the effort you’ve put into this site!!
Grammar’s never felt more approachable, and it’s easier than ever to remember it all.

This.

3 Likes

I just checked all 3 pages and their examples. Looks great!!

A couple of nitpicks on the もらう page though:

1. The part that says “…but inner and outer circles no longer play a role” could be reworded for clarity. I actually thought for a moment that it was implying もらう used to be directional, but no longer is.
    The reason もらう isn’t directional though, is that there’s only 1 single verb for receiving, compared to the 2 verbs for giving.

2. “Unlike あげる and くれる
    に (or から) marks the giver
    not the recipient”

This part could use some commas at the end of each line for readability’s sake.
Overall though, things look :ok_hand:

Edit1:
The あげる page should probably include a note somewhere that あげる (and ~てあげる) should not be used towards people above you in social status. Unfortunately, I can’t remember the Japanese word for the nuance that あげる has; I thought it was 視下, 観下, or 見下, but it appears to be none of those.

In any case, I was corrected by my 先生 for using あげる towards them in an e-mail once, lol.

Edit2:
The ← and → arrows on grammar points don’t go in numerical order (based on URL) like I’d expect. Because of this, I can’t navigate directly between the newly-added あげる・くれる・もらう grammar points using these arrows.

4 Likes

This actually highlights why using the word “give” for くれる is so important. When the focus is on give, the giver is the topic/subject, meaning the receiver has to be marked with に. But since もらう focuses on receiving, the receiver is the topic/subject, meaning the giver has to be marked with に (or から as may be the case).

3 Likes

@monkeytunes

Done! We are always looking for ways to make grammar easier to understand for everyone and comments like yours help us do that. Cheers!

:heart::heart::heart:

@Kai Thank you for the nitpicks! We have reworded the additional information on the もらう page for clarity and added commas to the :warning:portion. We have also added the information about refraining from using あげる with your superiors. Thank you for reminding us!

This was actually done on purpose. Unless your are studying via the Genki II Path, then あげる, くれる and もらう will not appear one after the other in Bunpro Lessons. We did this so that you could focus on each one individually before moving on to the next one in the following lesson. :slightly_smiling_face: Since review sentences build upon grammar that you have previously learned, we also did not want to include grammar that you had not yet seen or had time to study. Cheers!

4 Likes

For くれる I noticed all example sentences except the last were literal 私に but doesn’t necessarily need an indirect object if obvious. Yet the もらう examples made note of the optional topic/subject (if obvious) for every example. Was there any reason for this?

Will we assume to see the rest of the grammar family in N4?

やる・さしあげる・いただく・くださる

2 Likes

Hey! :grin:

For くれる I noticed all example sentences except the last were literal 私に but doesn’t necessarily need an indirect object if obvious. Yet the もらう examples made note of the optional topic/subject (if obvious) for every example. Was there any reason for this?

There is no real reason for that. I will change examples in くれる immediately.

Will we assume to see the rest of the grammar family in N4?

やる・さしあげる・いただく・くださる

Of course :grin::+1:

4 Likes

These hints are definitely an improvement, but there’s no need for a specific number in the hint IMO (unless removing this number makes the grammar point ambiguous again).

Also,

I think these numbers should change to reflect the new update, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I came across the word I was looking for here, although it’s a noun: 目下 (めした)
Conversly, there is also 上目 (うわめ).

3 Likes

April 18, 2019

The third batch of new grammar is here! The newly added grammar consists of 5 grammar points from Tobira and are as follows:

でできる・からできる - Tobira Chapter 1, Page 17・Bunpro N4, Lesson 5

Particle(s) + の - Tobira Chapter 1, Page 18・Bunpro N3, Lesson 1

が見られる - Tobira Chapter 2, Page 46・Bunpro N4, Lesson 6

また ~ も - Tobira Chapter 2, Page 47・Bunpro N3, Lesson 6

Counter + か - Tobira Chapter 2, Page 48・Bunpro N4, Lesson 8

Oh, and N1, Lesson 1 is also now available. Sorry, @Kai

Cheers!

9 Likes

I’m more excited for this than I am for Joker being adding to Smash Ultimate tonight

Seriously, thanks for this, you guys are awesome!!

4 Likes

I’m going to start Tobira in a couple weeks so nice timing with adding those lessons.

4 Likes

OOOOOHHHH N1! Nice! Thanks guys :smile:

3 Likes

April 26, 2019

The fourth batch of new grammar consists of 5 grammar points from Tobira:

と同じくらい - Tobira Chapter 3・Bunpro N3, Lesson 5

Noun+型 - Tobira Chapter 3・Bunpro N3, Lesson 8

てくれない・てもらえない - Tobira Chapter 3・Bunpro N4, Lesson 7

んだけど - Tobira Chapter 4・Bunpro N4, Lesson 5

それで - Tobira Chapter 4・Bunpro N4, Lesson 10

Cheers!

10 Likes

May 4, 2019

The fifth batch of new grammar is here! It consists of 5 grammar points from Tobira:

毎~のように - Tobira Chapter 4・Bunpro N4, Lesson 4

ことなの - Tobira Chapter 4・Bunpro N3, Lesson 9

と言える - Tobira Chapter 4・Bunpro N3, Lesson 3

ように - Tobira Chapter 4・Bunpro N4, Lesson 6

Verb[stem] + 合う - Tobira Chapter 4・Bunpro N3, Lesson 2

Cheers!

17 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well played. I see someone else on the BP team is also a fan.

4 Likes

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

May 12, 2019

The sixth batch of new grammar is here! It consists of 5 grammar points from Tobira:

のはXの方だ - Tobira Chapter 5・Bunpro N3, Lesson 9

Number + は - Tobira Chapter 5・Bunpro N4, Lesson 7

化する - Tobira Chapter 5・Bunpro N4, Lesson 10

~は~となっている - Tobira Chapter 6・Bunpro N3, Lesson 6

らしい ② - Tobira Chapter 6・Bunpro N4, Lesson 8

:cherry_blossom: ::tulip::hibiscus: Happy Mother’s Day! :hibiscus::tulip::cherry_blossom: Cheers!

14 Likes

June 3, 2019

New grammar is here! This new batch consists of six grammar points from Tobira:

ように祈る - Tobira Chapter 6・Bunpro N4, Lesson 9

傾向がある - Tobira Chapter 7・Bunpro N2, Lesson 1

にあたる - Tobira Chapter 7・Bunpro N3, Lesson 5

- Tobira Chapter 8・Bunpro N3, Lesson 10

関係がある - Tobira Chapter 8・Bunpro N3, Lesson 3

せっかく - Tobira Chapter 9・Bunpro N3, Lesson 10

Cheers!

11 Likes