New Grammar! - March 24, 2020

Wait a minute, i am also preparing for N2( but i guess it will get delayed cause of pandemic) i have 8 volumes of しむらと安達 novel and have encounter exactly the same grammar that 総まとめ、新完全 and とびら teaches you.
As for N1 grammar never seen it, or maybe i am bad at it. Is it worth learning N1 if grammar and other points are used less in day to day life ???

1 Like

It depends on your goal.

The grammar you see in daily life is absolutely not N1. There may be an odd grammar point here or there but the vast majority of N1 grammar is archaic or extremely formal. They do appear in editorials or really formal writing but daily reading and speaking? Not really.

If you care about jobs in Japan or related to Japanese, there are a lot of people who work in Japan (even as translators/interpreters) who don’t have N1 and they do just fine. I want it just because I’ve been using the JLPT as a benchmark for my goals for so long it feels weird not to shoot for it. But I already have job prospects with just my N2 certificate. Most jobs only require N2 but there are a few that ask for N1 though I suspect they just put that without really knowing what it means. They just want a person who knows a lot of Japanese/business Japanese.

3 Likes

By the way, how much of the grammar is still not there on Bunpro? E.g. N1 has a lot less grammar points than others

1 Like

It depends how you look at it. For example, some teachers/textbooks might combine many of the て form lessons on BunPro and treat them as one, while some teachers and textbooks might treat ところで as vocabulary meaning ‘by the way’ and others may treat it as an individual grammar point. If you look at it like this we could potentially end up with thousands more lessons in each level.

In my opinion, from a grammar point of view, BunPro is pretty comprehensive (except N1, which as we know is still unfinished) so studying and understanding all the grammar points of a particular level would certainly get you past the grammar section of the JLPT pretty comfortably.

7 Likes

The most use I get out of what little N1 grammar I know is when I’m watching anime where some character wants to sound extra cool and the grammar they choose to do that is rare enough to be N1… volitional forms of adjectives etc. come to mind.

6 Likes

Hi,
I’m just going through to Tobira path and am nearing the end. I noticed a few missing grammar points, not sure if this is the place for requests so I hope this is okay.

Chapter 13:
ほら: interjection - look, see, come on etc.
なんだ: exclamation - Oh!; What!

Chapter 14:
Nounに{入る/入ってから}: N begins; since N began.
Xを問題にする: to bring X up as an issue; to address X
いかに~か:how much; in what way

Not up to chapter 15 yet, but will be happy to update this once there.
Loving the constant updates on bunpro btw, allows me a fighting chance to make it through these dense textbooks :star_struck: thank you and keep up the great work :clap:

9 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised they didn’t add this 2 from chapter 13.I’ve seen it countless of times in the manga and anime, so that quite essential.

4 Likes