No nuance for N4 and higher?

So, I started learning Japanese recently, and currently I am level 7 on WaniKani. I wanted to learn some grammar too, and I found Bunpro. At first it seemed great, but I quickly ran into the problem of figuring out what it wants from me. I sort of got used to it after few days, so it is fine.

I went over N5 deck and started reviewing the words I know from WK, but I can only do that with nuance hints on, since it is often unclear what is supposed to be the answer.

Problem is that when I tried to do the same with N4 deck (because many works I learned on WK are on decks N4-1), I found out on reviews that there are no nuance hints at all. Am I supposed to blindly guess the answer? Is it like this on all other decks? Is adding these hints an ongoing process or is this intentional?

Personally I use Bunpro for grammar and JPDB for vocab. I believe Bunproā€™s vocab decks are a work in progress past the N5 deck.

I do use the vocab decks aswell, but only as a backup because of recall (English ā†’ Japanese) and it forces me to spell the words correctly. However, Iā€™m around 1000 words behind on Bunpro compared to JPBD, so all the words I add on Bunpro are words I already know.

This is just my opinion, but I recommend doing vocab somewhere else than Bunpro. Iā€™ve used both Anki and JPDB, both are great resources. A friend is using Renshuu and likes it a lot. Just to name a few.

2 Likes

If you donā€™t mind, can you post a screenshot of an example of the problem youā€™re having? I have an inkling of what it might be based on a past bug, but just wanted to double check weā€™re on the same page here.

Not the OP of the thread, but since the same thingā€™s happening to me, hereā€™s a screenshot. (Pulled from a cram, but the same thing happens in regular reviews)

As you can see, the Nuance is missing, and the only hint options are sentence translation and word translation. All N4 vocabulary reviews are like this.

1 Like

@Tacobaguette +1 on your reply!

The vocab function on Bunpro is pretty mid, so I would say continue with another app better known for its vocab review function. The only reason Iā€™m using BunProā€™s vocab function right now is simply to add words I already know that I havenā€™t come across with Wanikani. Since Iā€™m preparing for N2, and since I reset my Wanikani level all the way to 0 a while back (long story donā€™t ask lol), thereā€™s a big mismatch in the levels, so this is the only way I can review vocab without having to wait for it to become available.

Side note: Iā€™m using ē·ć¾ćØ悁 vocab!