Noun1 と Noun2 も Something

Hey all,

So I’ve seen this kind of structure in a couple of example sentences here on Bunpro (e.g. これとこれもあなたのでしょう。) and it’s bugging the heck out of me because even though I have a good grasp of と and も individually, I have no idea how to interpret this particular structure, and can’t seem to find anything about it anywhere else!

From my understanding, if I wanted to say ‘both this and this are yours, right?’ I would simply write これもこれもあなたのでしょう。(Source: Japanese Grammar Lesson 6: The Particle も (mo) | PuniPuniJapan under the section “Showing lack of preference using も”), whereas if I wanted to say ‘this and this are yours’ without emphasis on the ‘both’, I would write これとこれはあなたのでしょう。What room does this leave for the existence of the above structure?

Secondly, in terms of meaning, does it break down to [これとこれ][もあなたのでしょう]。(following for example, a previous statement of “that and that are yours” and saying “this and this are also yours, right?”), or is it read as [これと][これも][あなたのでしょう] (“this, and also this, are yours, right?”)

As you can tell, I’ve been thinking about this way too much, but I’m just super frustrated at my perceived ambiguity of this structure and the fact that I can’t find any information on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This. Exactly.
Think of も as replacing は.

While not “wrong”, it’s preferred to use も only once in a sentence.

3 Likes

Hmm okay, I believe that helps. ありがとう!

1 Like