Now what?

I have finally “completed” Bunpro. What would you advise I do in terms of furthering my studies? I am already in a deluge of kanji and vocabulary lessons, so you need not post any tips in that regard. Just, please give me advice on grammar learning.

7 Likes

Looks like you’re about to have an onslaught of reviews. Might want to just brace yourself and do the reviews, but if you really want extra then you could use the cram feature.

3 Likes

I would say it is time to put what you have learned in practice. You should consume more native material. If you encounter a grammar you have forgotten then you come back at Bunpro and get a refresher.

4 Likes

Congrats! :tada:

During the review, try expressing every sentence loudly without seeing the text. Repeat it 4-5 times. It helps me binding the Japanese grammar way of thinking in my brain and recalling things faster.

3 Likes

Read novels. You will come across all of the more complicated grammar structures that are seldom found in anime. Some recommendations; 蛇にピアス by Hitomi Kanehara, インザーミソスープ by Ryuu Murasaki, 白夜行 by Keigo Higashino

3 Likes

First, Congrats!!! That’s really impressive!

Lots and lots of reading. There are tons of grammar that is not found in textbooks and is not on Bunpro yet. I would pick a (a finished or long running) novel series or light novel series and try to read from Volume 1 to the end.

Using websites like Bookwalker.jp or booklive.jp or ebookjapan or honto its possible to try a sample of most books/manga/light novels for free.

Also picking up some JLPT drill books or JLPT Grammar (like Kanzen Master) books may be a good way to test your knowledge. Naturally Bunpro has a lot more grammar point compared to any book but any exercise is welcome, right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you have finished everything, you don’t need to continue to ‘study’. Just use the language. Read books, read news, listen to shows/podcasts. If you already know a ton of kanji and ‘know’ all the grammar on bunpro, you should be able to understand over 95% of what you will ever see. The rest you can learn from context and real exposure.

It’s time to take the training wheels off

10 Likes

Everyone basically mentioned consumption for further studies, but I also want to mention that if you want fluency–production. Start speaking, communicating with others, writing, message people. If you need it, tools like Italki and HelloTalk are great. Get on Twitter. Make friends.

You want a good balance of both if you want to be able to successfully communicate (hear/understand them, reply/they understand you) with others.

Good luck c:

4 Likes

I don’t have any tips, I just want to say you did a dam good job getting here!

4 Likes

Outside of advice about resources one of the things I’ve tried to maintain since I began is to keep track of minor achievements. It’s easy with srs to feel a sense of progress or achievement, but you see a lot of people if you lurk around forums like wanikani, torturing themselves by comparing themselves to jlpt levels or imagined standards of fluency once they come to outside material. Whether it’s recognising a word you learnt recently in a news story or getting the punch line of a joke, none of it should pass by unnoticed. For example when I started out I was proud to understand these two songs:

One’s about ghosts making pancakes and the other’s about the horrors of leaving one’s futon. It never mattered they weren’t war and peace or that I was an adult watching them. Or this week three varyingly obscure words I encountered: ぱふぱふ, 鎌鼬, 式年遷宮
5 Likes

congrats!

i have questions though, how is your reading, listening and speaking? at which part bunpro made “the” difference? my speaking sucks, compared to my reading skills for instance; speaking is whole another level animal i guess.

My native language Finnish has enabled me to bypass pronunciation training since the soundings in both languages are rather similar. I need more kanji to gauge my reading ability. Listening has remained at a level of partial comprehension.

2 Likes

@Hadros232232
Congratulations!

Like others say. You should consume as much of language as you can, reading, listening, watching (preferably what you like).

Just for sake of consistency, I would set a minimum daily goal of Japanese, like reading a chapter of book, 3 articles about something - something like that.

Also, signing up for Japanese proficiency exam is a good idea :+1:

By the way, on this site you can read numerous free novels:
https://syosetu.com/

Cheers!

3 Likes