Nuance in "to receive": 貰う (morau) vs 受ける (ukeru)

I currently have both 貰う and 受ける in my reviews, and I keep getting the answers incorrect because I’m using the wrong one. Is there a nuance I’m missing between these two terms? Is Bunpro prompting me to go one way or the other, and I’m missing it?

The best I can come up with from the example sentences is that 受ける seems to include a larger range of non-physical receipt than 貰う (though one of 貰う’s examples is receiving a response to a confession, which isn’t physical).

Has anybody else encountered this as a problem? Any solutions?

I think 貰う tends to also be more associated with receiving from someone specifically, whereas 受ける can be broader and doesn’t necessarily invoke a ‘giver’.

Overall, I think for nuances like this the best way to understand them is simply through immersion and seeing how they are used in a variety of different scenarios. This is generally a good way to grasp the way in which words are used over time. It can be a bit difficult to directly translate some nuances.

Agree with the above. 受ける can mean to receive something like a service or an action, rather than specifically from someone else. Like with taking a test.

1 Like