"Oops" Issue

Not sure if it’s just me (or if I’m doing something wrong), but lately the “Oops” feature seems to be working inconsistently.

For example, in the review I just completed a moment ago, I accidentally entered “にとっても” rather than just “にとって”. It was completely correct except the sentence already had the も right after the blank, and I just didn’t notice it. Okay, no big deal - I don’t consider this to be a grammar mistake since it was more of an issue of just reading too quickly. I knew the grammar point and even the appropriate particle, so I didn’t want this scored as a wrong answer. Thus, I hit “Oops” and just corrected it. Great. Except that at the end of the review, it still acted as though I got “にとって” wrong and created new Ghost reviews out of it. This has actually been happening to be a lot lately. I’m not someone who abuses the “Oops” feature - I only use it for typos or silly things like the one above. Most of the time it works as intended, but I get quite a few of these odd ones where the system still scores it as an incorrect answer and then further hampers my progress with unnecessary Ghost reviews.

I don’t remember this ever happening before. Is there a reason that the “Oops” feature is working inconsistently? Am I totally missing something?

7 Likes

It’s been happening to me for years. It was really bad for me for a few weeks early last year, I think, with perhaps 15-20% of my oopses resulting in getting my answers marked incorrect, but in recent months it happens maybe only 2-3 times per month. Just pray to the grammar gods daily, and you should be fine.

6 Likes

I’ve also been experiencing this for as long as I can remember. It’s pretty inconsistent but happens relatively rarely. It never bothered me quite enough to report since I don’t think the grammar point drops stages as if I had gotten it wrong.

2 Likes

Yeah this has always happened sporadically. I think it’s just a case of waiting for a fix.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed it seems to have changed for the worse also when the new dashboard was implemented. It’s not a huge deal but glad to know I’m not the only one.

If I had to guess its that the ajax calls they are using to send you did an “oops” failed. The on screen javascript still let you re-do it but the server never got the “oops” which is why you still got marked wrong.

6 Likes

Wow, how crazy. I’ve been on Bunpro for 6+ months now and never really noticed it until the past month or two. Well, glad to know I’m not crazy at least. Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

This may only be a fix for people using phone, not PC, but I never actually press oops on my phone, I just press ‘backspace’ instead, which clears the field and has the same effect. Seeing as though I never get the issue from clicking the backspace/ clear key on my phone keyboard, perhaps a fix for the devs could be mapping the ‘oops’ button to have the same effect as backspace would… I have no idea about programming though, so perhaps it isn’t that simple.

1 Like

I think its the same for computer. I always use the backspace instead of the oops button, and I haven’t noticed having this problem.

4 Likes

I always use backspace as well instead of clicking oops button which takes more effort. But, I also experienced this issue a few days ago.

3 Likes

Indeed - I always use backspace rather than clicking the button and unfortunately this doesn’t seem to make a difference for me. I’ll experiment on my phone/tablet and see if this somehow makes a difference though.

1 Like

I only use backspace on the PC, and it happens regardless, so I think they are one and the same, programming-wise.

3 Likes

I have ghost reviews on minimal, so maybe I just haven’t noticed. :confused:

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I think @tedledbetter is correct on the source of the bug. A total overhaul of reviews is in the pipeline but I will take a look and see if I can patch this problem sooner rather than later.

Thanks to everyone else in the thread as well for all the insight! :bowing_man:

14 Likes

So I too used to think this is probably just a network error, but after getting so annoyed* by this that I made a little browser extension to track the corresponding requests this doesn’t seem to be the case after all. All the relevant requests actually look correct, get through and are responded with 200 OK for me, so this only really leaves a server-side bug.
As an example: Yesterday I got a review of 精々 (review id 1565714) at 14:07:27 UTC. I first typoed it, oopsed it and then answered it correctly, which seemingly made it go to level 12. But ~4 hours later I got a ghost review of it and the grammar point page now shows it’s level 10.
If you have logs and it helps you debug this problem I could give you the exact timestamps, requests, responses, my public ip at the time etc. (also for other examples).

*Okay, who am I kidding, I’m really just procrastinating on writing my master’s thesis. :joy:

4 Likes