Opinions on only using bunpro for grammar and ditching textbooks?

I also only use bunpro, I tried genki but going through a textbook wasnt enjoyable for me. I dont feel Im at a point where I can give good advice about what the best way to study grammar is but its reasuring to know other people have a good understanding solely using bunpro

4 Likes

I started off using Genki I and II and Bunpro, but when I started AIAIJ, then I switched only to Bunpro. I think it depends on a person’s personality and preferences. I switched only to Bunpro because I realized that I just really dislike the structure of the textbook lessons. I much prefer Bunpro’s explanations or website resources, and then looking to see how the grammar point is used in sentences. I find I learn the grammar point much better this way. And naturally Bunpro’s SRS helps me to remember the grammar—when I was only using textbooks, I absolutely would not remember grammar even a few days after I just read it in the book.

So I think it also depends on a person’s preferences. I personally didn’t like the structure of a textbook, but some people enjoy that a lot.

As others mentioned, you need other resources for kanji and vocabulary (I use Anki decks). I’m not studying for a JLPT test, so I read Japanese light novels that I’m interested in and add vocabulary from there, because that’s more enjoyable for me than graded readers. Bunpro is great for looking up unfamiliar grammar that I come across in a light novel and then adding it for review.

3 Likes

Personally, I use Bunpro to learn all my grammar. Though I still do use textbooks to get some extra context and explanation into the grammar points. Essentially using textbooks as a supplement for Bunpro.

I concur, sites like this have the advantage (for some people) of being unstructured and letting people learn in any way and order that they want. Or Bunpro could just be a supplement; it’s flexible, I like to think that’s part of what I pay for: more flexibility in my learning.

1 Like

Currently, I use mainly Bunpro + extra websites for more sentences / explanations. Its going well. I am really happy.

Saying that, I really like books too and they can be useful, don’t ignore them hehe
Initially I had Japanese lessons and used books (Genki etc). In addition, I do have some Kanzen Master and other JLPT books. I used those books as extra reference when studying new grammar points on Bunpro.

I think it really depends on the person and how their learn / what works for them / their objectives / (probably their Japanese level too)

Finished them. Yeah, I am going to try only using bunpro. Hoperfully will be remember to update how it went for me in the future

Happy that in the last day so many people that use mainly bunpro have shared their experiences, glad to know it works for some people, hoperfully will be the same for me!

1 Like

Grammar:

A: “Here are a bunch of grammar points.”

B: “Okay, cool.”

A: “Here is a breakdown of what each one means, and how and when it is used.”

B: “Excellent. This is clear and specific. I feel like all of these points make sense when judged on their own merits.”

A: “Here are some example sentences, using the grammar points.”

B: “I can see how the grammar point is used in each sentence and it mostly matches my expectations based on the descriptions.”

A: “Now write a paragraph.”

B: “I’m sorry, I actually don’t know how to use any of these to say what I want to say.”

A: “Here is a paragraph of native writing, please comprehend it.”

B: “I don’t understand how they’re using these grammar points.”

Bunpro is not enough because nothing is really enough. Good luck.

2 Likes

xD. Which level are you currently in grammar?

N5, N4, N3, N2, and a little N1. But overall, N4ish.

loved this post.

Ah, yeah. Skipping sentence level practice is always a bad idea for learners. :sunglasses:

@xplo Have you tried one of the “sentence a day” challenges? (Example: “Have you written your sentence today?”