Over 9000! ... New sentences! Making context the king of vocab learning

Thanks everyone for this! Its a really really cool feature.

3 Likes

As always, big congratulations to the content and development teams for churning this out!!
Saying I work in Bunpro is always something that makes me proud, and updates like this are one of the many reasons why.

And we’re only getting started. :fire:

8 Likes

Such a great idea. I put new learning on hold when I finished N4 as many of the N3 example sentences were using kanji and vocab that I had never seen. I’m struggling to get through more WaniKani as it’s so dull (lvl24). The opportunity to SRS vocab as I go, within BunPro, sounds amazing.

6 Likes

I remember having my mind blown when the reading passages were first introduced, little did I know how much more insane each further update would be. These example sentences in particular are PERFECT as it should help people ease into reading over time instead of the usual plop that happens with most learners.

Useful vocab, useful sentences, yet again another useful feature to help learners. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2022!

9 Likes

I absolutely love this update, the recent updates has me recommending Bunpro more and more to my friends! The only issue I have: Since the update with clickable popouts, we are unable to click to turn off furigana on words we think we know. I personally do this to remove my reliance on furigana. Perhaps there’s a way for both of these features to co-exist?

12 Likes

We have been thinking a little bit about this as well, and are working on figuring out a way for these features to coexist (perhaps clicking above the word for the furigana to appear/disappear, or a long click to make the vocab/grammar popout appear?). As I have mentioned, I am not a tech guy, but I am always pestering the tech guys about things that we may need to figure out workarounds for, in the future.
I (and everyone else at Bunpro) definitely don’t want one of the feautures that people enjoy to be negatively impacted by another.

5 Likes

I don’t know Yomichan but it looks similar to 10ten japanese reader (formally Rikaichamp). Have you tried it? It works on Bunpro, been using it myself.

2 Likes

Thats alot of sentences! Looking forward to seeing where Bunpro goes in the future with all of these big updates

Edit:

It would be nice to be able to click on words while doing a review. Im not sure if it was just the reviews I did but I couldnt get it to work

3 Likes

are new sentences also being included in this update?

3 Likes

Yes, 9000 new sentences have already been added, and are available right now by clicking on many of the words that you will be exposed to on the site (particularly in N5).

Another 9000 are not far off, as we are already well on our way toward completing N4 as well.

3 Likes

Wow great job Bunpro team! Keeps getting better and better :slight_smile: :+1:

5 Likes

After seeing the team expanding these last few months, Bunpro is truly leading its way to become the best japanese learning tool on the internet !
And that’s amazing, if you can implement that vocabulary part with SRS features it will be 最高 :ok_hand: :fire:

6 Likes

I absolutely didn’t expect Bunpro to add a vocabulary SRS o_O. This kind of integrations sounds like a really nice idea. Looking forward to it!

6 Likes

Indeed it works after refreshing, but after some browsing it stops working again. So for example clicking Grammar->ALL->(random grammar point) it works, then after clicking next or back arrow to go to next/previous grammar point it stops working. Same behavior on both Firefox 95 and Chromium 96.

2 Likes

I want to see the word’s ranking within frequency lists to determine how useful the word is to try to learn at my early stage. Also it’s sometimes useful to see the pitch pattern.

I doubt it’s possible to make an environment that fits everyone, so good compatibility with popular external tools is important IMO.

5 Likes

I am just amazed at what speed you are able to create all this top tier content.
I am looking forward to cramming vocabulary here at bunpro.

4 Likes

Any chance that the word you are clicking on isn’t in our vocab database yet?
I tested quite a bit on Firefox 95 and everything seems to be in order.

As a side note, do you have any addons enabled that might be interfering with it?

Edit: I believe others have mentioned it before but yomichan sometimes seems to not interact with Bunpro so well/causes stuff to break. I wonder if that might be the cause?

1 Like

Like @Asher mentioned having it coexist adds a layer of complexity. For right now though, you can still toggle off the furigana, you just need to open the popout and then click on the vocab word in the upper section of the popout. That will toggle the furigana on/off sitewide.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that some vocabularies just trigger the furigana on/off instead of the popup, maybe means that?

for example this blue ones from:

3 Likes

Yeah, if the furigana is toggling, that means it shouldn’t cause a popout anyway because it is either not in our database or might be but we haven’t released it yet.

1 Like