Pitch Accent and Anki

Hey everyone,

perchance this is if not the then one of the most controversial topics in the japanese learning community for a long time. It’s not even needed to learn pitch accent, drawing from other sources and having lived in Japan, if japanese people want to understand you, they will, no matter how exotic your (pitch) accent might be - if they don’t want to, you could even be a non-ethnic-japanese-native speaker and they will not get you. Having established that disclaimer, I’ll proceed to my question.

I thought it would be nice to learn pitch accent, as established I think its not necessary, but nice to have.
I didn’t want to allocate more time to seperately learn it however, so I didnt - except for watching Dogen sometimes maybe…
When I learned about the existence of an Anki addon for pitch accent however, I added that and modified the Core2KDeck (65% done at this point). I suppose my pitch accent will not become perfect, and that is not my goal right now, but it could improve by 20% maybe with this method. Its nice to train my ears more, as all the cards have sound - however, I only added it to the vocabluary cards and not the sentences, because that is not possible. (╥﹏╥)
Do you have any type of experiences with such a way of learning it? Has anyone done it here?

Another point to keep in mind is that depending on your native language(s), your accent will end up being different. Is this the same case for pitch accent? Anyone noticed this pheonomena aswell? I know its a bad manner and I am in no position to speak overall and neither do I want to offend anyone here, but my japanese friends and me regularly make fun of the typical “I-started-japanese-three-months-ago” anglo-saxons accent. Please dont be offended (˶˃ᆺ˂˶)

I guess I speak outright flat? Like a robot? German AND autistic, after all. Anyone has experiences?

2 Likes

To me, it’s more about hearing things.

I even removed all the graphs to only aim repeat a word in a way a native says it in the recording. I feel like thinking about “what pattern is that word” started taking my attention from just hearing how it sounds and repeating.

To see if you can produce, and how well, flet or not, the sound, you can use the trail period on Dogen website emurse.io

But I think the most useful thing is hear the word, trying to reproduce it, and hearing if you were able or not.

If not, I would recommend developing ear, for that I would recommend singing major scale alongside with piano (do re mi fa sol la ti do) and what helped me the most is using app Functional Ear Trainer, it trains you hearing degrees, but it really cured my ear, so now when I sing I understand that I do that correctly or not, if I hit a note or not. Took me 3 weeks (50-80 hours I guess). As a byproduct I stared hearing pitch much better when it comes to Japanese, as it’s just the same pitch I was training there.

What I did for some time after that was listening to Bunpro audio snippets and trying to reproduce them 1 to 1, using pratt to see if I hit the pitch. My voice is really flat in that regard, but it seemed to my like the pitch is mostly on point, so I just stopped after some time.

I also am warier about it getting smashed a little by my reading, as I might be messing up pitch between the words, as sometimes it’s high and sometimes it falls down after the word on the particle after that, but we’ve got what we’ve got, so I’m happy for now.

1 Like

From what you’re saying, you’re still relatively beginner.

I don’t recommend caring at this level.

The pronounciation issues could be linked to misunderstanding sounds rather than speech.

Such as in France, people don’t say H so は and あ are the same thing.
It might sounds silly but people skip spending time to correctly pronounce Sokuon and Chouon.
Example : How would you say 学生 がくせい ?

It’s not せい but せえ. Same as beginners tend to read バスケット as バスケ[a long second]ト while it’s actually said “ket” as you naturally start rolling out the next part, followed by a split second, not a long one.

Then, there are different phenomenes such as :
サスケ Saske
ました Mashta
ます Mas

Speech accent are region dependent and are not unique nor fixed units.
First example, two words can be said with the same speech accent and it doesn’t mean natives will be confused
KAmi God
kaMI Hair
kaMI Paper

Second example, compound words vs standalone words :
haNA Flower

HAnabi Firework → drops after Ha
haNAyome Bride → drops after na (as the standalone)
haNABIra Petal → drops after bi (unlike standalone)

Third. I mentionned dropping after the last kana, but hana has two, not third kana.
Because speech accent patterns actually involve how the words reacted when you added particles.
kaMI and kaMI put above are indentical even when you add a particle (they drop)
while haNA (flower) drops and haNA (nose) stays high

Fourth, as I’ve said, someone from Osaka will pronounce some words differently from a Tokyoite. I don’t have examples, it’s harder to find as most things are in Tokyo “Standard Accent”.

I’ve also seen differences on whole sentences not just vocab.

But I’m sure I still forgot things on Speech Accent considering how complex it is.

For a beginner, I recommend input without seeking to understand speech.
That’s how you also know if えい is えい or ええ.
Dogen made a video joking about how confusing it could be.
But basically you learn vocabulary etc and as you practice, your ears are working and you notice things are said one way or another.

2 Likes

I think this is a little bit disingenuous, it’s a similar argument to saying how if you speak mandarin without using tones, then people might think you’re calling their mom a horse, which is a funny thing to say and might work great in a comedy sketch, but in reality, people will have the context to mostly anticipate the space of things you might say and more or less understand you. Pitch accent is much more like a redundancy check that what you said makes sense, so it’s more like the difference between maybe a 5% chance the listener asks what you meant and a 0.5% chance. No one in a barbershop is going to be wondering why this foreigner with long hair is coming in to defeat a god.

In short, I think it is worth learning pitch accent if you ever intend to have conversations with people, as it will help improve comprehension on both sides. But if you don’t have vocabulary, then you will never have a chance to be understood. I have learned in other language experience that you can have conversations just with mostly basic nouns and verbs. Learning grammar obviously adds ability to include logic and nuance in your statements, but it also adds redundancy, think about how some languages match gender, tense, plurality in verbs or adjectives to the subject. Pitch accent will also act as redundancy, so its worth it to have, but you have to decide for yourself how to prioritize it appropriately.

3 Likes

To expand on zconnor comment in a different direction:

Correct spelling makes reading easier, butt their can bee many misteaks without effecting you’re understanding to match. I’m sure that sentence sounded horrible in your head, which is I’m sure is what a bad pitch accent sounds like to native speakers. :smile:

I am doing a little bit of that but with everything, context, correct vocab, grammar, clear pronunciation, body language, understandable pace and tone is what really wins out over perfect pitch accent (think of it as extra touch up to make the car shine more). I’ve been doing my Italki session and people say I have really pretty good accent (few words here and there and I try to over stress some parts and they give me some correct or ask me to repeat and I do it again correctly) and it’s getting better.

It’s more for me just get actual practice in speaking and listening and don’t stress over the accent because even natives can’t master their own language.

TL;DR: Listen carefully. Get good at copying. Worry less. Simple as.

IMHO it doesn’t need to be more than that. Everything else below is just kinda opinionated… uhh… opinions which may or may not be are probably not worth reading.


The value of pitch accent

I think a lot of the fretting over pitch accent is much ado about nothing. This goes double if the person talking about it has something to sell you to solve your supposed crippling problem. I mean sure it’s important but I swear some people become paralyzed by it. Good audio and being pretty good at monkey see/monkey do will slap down 90% of issues. No $500 pitch accent course will help you if you can’t ape the sounds you hear.

The “good” in the previous sentence is doing a lot of work. There’s so much auto-generated, and recently LLM generated, Japanese learning material in current year. “Hey guise I vibe coded an app combining an LLM TTS and JMDict please come beta test it for me.” Also one of the speakers in the Jisho.org dataset has really weird pronunciation. I half suspect they’re not an actual native Japanese speaker.

Anti-ACKSHUALLY Redditor disclaimer: I’m pre-supposing a basic level of criticality by the part of the learner to not fall into either extreme of “you should NEVER use mass generated content (finger wag)” nor “blindly accept the mass generated content of an Anki add-on”.

Also, I’ve also absolutely come across words with bullshit data. A reported pitch accent of [0], but after spending an hour trawling every audio source I can think of I can only find people saying [5] or something like that. A very rare thing to be sure, but it absolutely has happened. I no longer take pitch accent data for gospel. And this isn’t even getting into words where the pitch fall sort of starts between two mora (so simultaneously either is valid yet neither is fully correct). I’ll let people with PhDs spend 50 hours arguing if a word is [2] or [3]; I’d rather spend time doing something resembling practical.

Actual advice for Anki

As for practical, what-do-I-no-shit-do advice RE: Anki… I would add the data, but I think the best case scenario is it becomes irrelevant for the majority of your reviews. I ignored pitch accent for the longest time, but at some point, I became quite critical of my pitch accent, so I started testing myself. I know what some words sound like, and then I’d try to predict the pitch accent. Failure to do so and I’d go review the pitch accent system*. In no time at all it stopped being a problem for me. Just the process of doing this got me very used to certain pitch patterns.

For Anki grading, I usually do not ding myself as incorrect (wrong/again) for mistaken pitch accent. If I get everything else correct about a vocab card but screw up the pitch accent, I’ll just mark it as hard. Unless it’s something particularly egregious. I know this is ‘hard/again’ misuse under Anki, but the alternative is testing too many things on one card. Fail to guard against this and you get Anki cards that aren’t atomized, e.g. on a single card you are testing definition, part of speech (noun, verb, adjective, etc), pitch accent, transitivity, and possibly more. At some point you need to draw a line in the sand and decide what you are actually drilling in Anki for any given deck. I am content with accepting Anki!=conversation practice. If you have a habit of butchering pronunciation, this might not be a good tactic.

RE: good audio data: I myself have a pre-built Anki deck with occasional TTS audio, and I make sure to double check audio with real JP speakers with pretty much all new cards since sometimes the TTS has an aneurysm or it uses an aberrant reading (think mixing up 「あいだ・ま」 for 間). I am trigger happy about replacing any audio I think is stinky. This goes double for TTS audio. The き in きっかけ sound a little too much like a Russian kh? Replace the whole thing. I use Coeiroink TTS and I have about 20 voices installed for this exact reason of particularly elusive/niche words and audio.

*Any time I’d screw it up I’d reread this site until I felt I didn’t need it anymore.

4 Likes

Japanese learners who speak Chinese will find the debate over pitch accent really funny. I had no idea about pitch accent until I saw Dogen’s video and thought, oh, is that the right term for it? I had just been calling it “tones” until then.

For those without a tonally trained ear, then the “minimum” I’d do is train my ear to hear the 4 pitch accents in Japanese via that koku.jp website, and then - just as before - when learning pronunciation strive to copy the native pronunciation. The only difference is you’ll be able to hear the gap between your pitch accent and theirs. So it shouldn’t make a big difference in your learning

2 Likes

I struggle to understand beginner Japanese learners because they have a strong accent. Once they are intermediate I can understand.

I have more experience teaching pronunciation in English than learning pitch accent.
In class this week, the text book asked students (who haven’t learned past tense) “which syllable has the accent in baby, monkey, guitar, july ect”

Rather than learning the accent of individual words, I think it’s better to practice with sentences. Practicing " i hafta go to the STORE" over “MONkey” for English.

In Japanese https://www.gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/phrasing/index will make a pitch diagram for a sentence instead of just the word.

While I don’t care about pitch accent- I do recommend cultivating a “Japanese Voice”. You mentioned you are autistic- an additional mask. “You” can’t speak Japanese, but 花ちゃん the cat girl can! when saying the example sentences, say it how 花ちゃん would. Would she whisper cause she’s shy? Or is she squeaky? or bubbly?
(I’m also autistic) and People say it’s like I’m a whole different person when I speak Japanese.
You might have a character in mind who you want to sound like. Export the anime to MP3 and listen on repeat, shadowing along until you have all of their lines memorized… is a very autistic way of practicing accents, but also effective.

1 Like

I think if you already think about it, go for it. Beside sounding more like a native, hearing the correct audio can also help reinforce the learning process, becuase you not only read and remember the word/ sentence but hear it as well. Bonus points if you also repeat out loud the word and sentence.

There are anki decks with pitch accent and example sentence audio included, I use those. I recommend digging a bit to find one you like/ fits your needs and tweak that if needed.

1 Like

Thanks for all your suggestions and the new perspectives you all gave me.
This will no doubt help me on my language learning journey.

  • I have tried it! If I make it a habit, that could help. However, its extra study time (and a new habit to pick up), so I dont know if I’ll make it eheh.
  • If it works, it works. There is no sacred way of learning languages that must be followed. Still, I am amazed to hear of such an approach. Im happy this worked out for you.
  • Thanks for your input, and I hope it will help someone. Having lived in Kyoto for half a year (and giving my best to study Kansaiben during that time!) this is known to me. May your language learning proceed to be smooth and with harmony.
  • Remark about that one.
    Went to a saloon in Japan about 2 weeks after arriving there. I wanted to get my hair dyed (almost black).
    I had to actually try this at four different saloons until I was finally allowed into one. Two said they didnt have time anymore, which is fair. In one I was simply told “your japanese has to be really good for this procedure to work”. Okay, this would be acceptable if not for the last saloon, the one I was actually taken in, in which - also only speaking japanese - made clear what I wanted and it worked out fine. We even had small talk, something I even suck at in my native language! I think, in the saloon that I got refused in for “not being good enough in japanese for this procedure”, I was not refused for language ability, but for not being japanese. Shocking.
    This is what I meant with the statement “if people want to understand you, they will; if not, they wont”.
  • This is incredibly valuable advice, thank you.
    Decided aswell that it won’t be kind to myself and add too much stress if I let a card fail if I didn’t get the pitch accent and just marked “good” even if I didn’t get the accent right; essentially just glazing over it. However, deciding to mark it as “hard” is not a bad idea. Could do that.
  • 妈妈骂马吗? I see. The secret to pitch accent lies in the fact I have to continue my mandarin studies, ohh… I’ll check out the koku website aswell!
  • You might laugh, but this was the same case for me when I was enrolled in university in Japan. The worst to understand were those of english speaking background. This is why I made the earlier comments in my question.
  • I feel this is quite effective and one of the best off-topic advices in this whole thread. To really get into the right headspace and mindset for your target language can make such a big difference in speaking and help to build confidence. I think I’ve had it happen to me aswell in the time that I learned Japanese and Ukrainian at the same time. I really noticed how much of a difference there was in both of those settings. For english and my native language, I’d guess there is less divergence in character if any. Probably there is, but I can’t point my finger on it. Actually thats quite an interesting question.

  • Learning to speak is one thing, learning when its better to say a simple expression instead of the complicated one that works in your head is a bit more difficult. But choosing to stay silent instead of speakling really broken in the moment you’d be broken can easily negate the differences between someone who is N4 and someone who is at N2 level, I’d say. In my home country, we have a saying that goes like this: “speaking is silver, staying quiet is gold”.
    In the end, this is psychology aswell.

  • Funny enough, thats how my japanese profs started calling me after a while. Two of them just did it (is that hara already? lol), one asked me if it was okay.
3 Likes