Pitch Accent - Reasons to Start Learning

Per my discussion in this thread: https://community.bunpro.jp/t/bambis-h1-2021-study-plan/29207/6

EDIT: For humility purposes, these are just my arguments. Pitch is important, but it’s of course only one piece of the equation. People have different priorities too. But I think these are the most compelling reasons, and I hope to save you all heartache, so if I can get one person to take up pitch accent studies and avoid heartache later, that’ll make me very happy.

I’ll come right out and say it: I highly recommend against being lazy, and for being proactive on Pitch Accent, because the more you neglect it, the more you will come to regret it later on in your studies.

In Japanese, there are four major pitch accent patterns. Which word you are saying depends not only on the syllables (the hiragana/katakana), but also on the pitch of the word.

So why should one care about pitch accents? I’ll start with a general fact about Japanese: there are A LOT of words that cannot be distinguished from the syllables alone. However, they are not homophones once you account for pitch.

What this means is that if you are decoding what someone is saying in real time, but have not internalized the different pitch accents, you will be working harder to discern, from context, what is being said, rather than intuitively narrowing down the possibilities of what was said just from the pitch of the sentence alone. In conversation, you don’t see Kanji. Instead, pitch accent serves as your auditory tool for disambiguation. If you ignore it, you are doing away with a massively beneficial tool for comprehension.

Just as an example, consider this sentence: かみとかした。

Depending on the pitch, this means either 神と化した (became a god) or 髪とかした (combed hair).

Of course, you would never misunderstand someone in context. The problem is that you may inarguably end up saying “I became a god” instead of “I combed my hair.” There are several situations where you could say some really messed up things just by messing up the pitch accent.

Now, what about if you don’t care about producing (i.e.: speaking)? Well, consider this classic example: はしでたべる。

Without knowing the pitch, this could be either 橋で食べる (eat at a bridge) or 箸で食べる (eat with chopsticks). There are many contexts where it would be hard to distinguish between the two just from context alone.

So my two main arguments for caring about pitch accent are: it prevents you from saying messed up things, and it acts as an auditory disambiguation tool (sort of like Kanji, but less effective, but way better than nothing).

Now, I believe that there should be no shadow of a doubt that pitch accent is essential. The only question is, should it be prioritized? Or can it just be put off for later?

I will just give two simple arguments in favor of getting started on pitch accent now, rather than later.

First, the longer you go without focusing on pitch accent, the more you may build up bad habits, especially if you practice speaking often. To remedy this, getting started now can fix your mistakes sooner and prevent you from cementing bad habits.

Second, the research is clear that the human brain starts losing the ability to detect pitch with age. So if you put it off for a couple years, you may actually be less capable of learning then than now. But if you learn to distinguish and hear pitch now, that skill stays with you.

Now what about the idea that one can just immerse and eventually pick up on pitch?

Simply put, this is a fantastical idea, unless you are a native speaker in a tonal language such as Cantonese.

To a normal Westerner, you will struggle to identify 平板 words, or whether you even said it correctly. I don’t have any studies on this, but I do have a strong anecdote: Khatzumoto, one of the first to champion immersion for learning Japanese, managed to speak extremely naturally, but still often messed up on pitch accents because he never factored it into his studies.

Now, while I may disagree with a lot of his philosophy, he’s certainly learned Japanese from immersion alone, and still could not come out with the correct pitch. In short, unless you are consciously making an effort, you will not pay attention to pitch, as it is not an aspect of most Western languages.

What about the idea that pitch is relative to location? This is a common argument against learning pitch accents, but it holds no water.

Certainly, not all regions speak with the standard Tokyo pitch accent. A person with non-standard pitch will still speak according to the pitch of their region. While their pitch will not line up with the standard, it will be standard for their region.

The problem is, if you don’t pay attention to pitch, you will end up mixing and matching pitch like a fool. In one sentence, you will sound like you’re from Tokyo, and in another, you will sound like you’re from some random other region in Japan. To put it bluntly, if you don’t follow a standard, you will mix the standards and sound extremely weird no matter where you go. You will also not get the benefit of pitch accent as a disambiguation tool.

I recommend either studying the standard pitch, or the local dialect that is applicable to you. The standard pitch has the advantage of being the one used in broadcasts around the country, as well as of being understood throughout, so that’s something to consider. It may also be easier to learn a dialect when you can tell how it differs from the standard. Finally, there’s not a lot of information on dialects, so it may be hard to learn regional pitch directly without the background of knowledge on standard pitch.

Finally, how much should one incorporate studying pitch? This part is purely my opinion.

First, you should learn the four pitch accent patterns: 平板式、尾高型、中高型、and 頭高型.

Then, I recommend finding a way to test yourself on the ability to distinguish which pitch a word is being spoken with.

Finally, I recommend making sure you learn a word together with its pitch accent pattern.

Two awesome tools for doing these crucial steps (and more) are:

1. Dogen’s Patreon series, and
  2. Migaku Japanese Anki add-on

From here on out, I also recommend always being attentive to the pitch of the words in a sentence. Your goal is to be able to recognize the difference in pitch, especially for words that rely on pitch (to avoid being some other word). You can also focus on undoing your current bad habits in pitch. Many Westerners (like me) will struggle with 日本、日本語 (these have different pitch patterns!)、弟、学生、先生 and many more. Dogen’s series goes over many problem areas and overall strikes a good balance between being comprehensive and succinct for the sake of pushing you to incorporate pitch accent studying in your own immersion.

In general, I would say to focus on learning the basics of pitch accent. After that, it takes very little extra effort to always be cognizant of pitch, and it can save you a lot of heartache in the future.

Alright that is all I’ve got to say, hope this thread will have some nice discussion.

20 Likes

So since it is looking like we are going to have 2 threads for few hours I will just copy what I said hoping it makes any sense in context of you essay. I will read it tomorrow and will show you properly why you are wrong : P (just in case: it is a joke)

That’s is what I said in other thread:

I will just copy out of context part of conversation I had in PM. I thinks it sums up my view pretty well:

So in short words: not really something you want to bother yourself with.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure anyone can see that I already addressed your concern in my original post. In short, even if you don’t care about production, it serves as a tremendous auditory disambiguation tool.

3 Likes

Which pitch accent will you learn then? Only Tokyo one?

I will answer you tomorrow, now worries :hugs:

I feel honoured you feel obligated to try dispose my argument before hand after our conversation xD It means it is not totally of the point and should be ignored :hugs:

1 Like

Welp, I already know the argument you’re about to make on that, so I edited the original post to account for it too.

1 Like

説明ありがとうございます。今から初めて頑張ります。いつも優しい説明ありがたいです。( ^ω^ )

1 Like

とんでもないです。頑張ってください!

1 Like

I want to start studying pitch accent more but I’m already older and seem to really struggle to hear pitch and I live in kansai so the pitch accents I hear in real life and in immersion aren’t the same. That makes me wonder if it’s very realistic for me to try to learn about it. It seems like even in Kansai there are different patterns between Hyogo, Kyoto and Osaka etc. It seems like the pitch accent patterns are sometimes completely opposite too, like if there are two words with the same pronunciation and one is pitch accent A and the other is pitch accent B in standard dialect, sometimes it’s flipped in kansai dialect.

3 Likes

You make some good points/arguments, and I definitely learned a few things from your post. Cure Dolly made an argument similar to @MacFinch’s, but your point about recognition is a good one, I think. I will have to reconsider paying attention to pitch.

My current ‘objection’ is a purely situational one: I’m already getting overwhelmed with having taken on too much BunPro grammar points, WaniKani lessons, and similar items from a couple of other similar SRS sites I use. I need to ‘catch up’ on my backlog, which also means slowing down my initial pace (it’s a marathon, not a sprint), so I will have to wait for a bit before I can put any attention to adding new stuff to learn onto my already over-flowing plate. :sweat_smile:

But once I get things back down to a manageable daily level, I will probably come back to look more seriously at pitch accent. If it helps with recognition alone, that would probably be worth it for me.

3 Likes

Wow, it’s great that you still consider taking up pitch accent! I kind of alluded to it, but if you are in Kansai, where the regional dialect differs in pitch, you are in a tougher position because it’s not clear cut whether you should take up the standard or regional patterns. Also, even though age is a factor, I believe it’s still possible to learn a lot of helpful basics with effort.

I don’t know what is best in your situation, between going for standard or Kansai. But no matter which is right for you, here’s one useful thing I’ve heard some people do: after learning the basic pitch patterns (and doing their best to get the gist of the difference from sound alone, even if not 100%), some people will talk with an iTalki tutor (or exchange partner) and drill words of a particular pattern and ask for the teacher’s correction until they start getting a sense of it.

So you could schedule a couple iTalki sessions and have 平板 day, 尾高 day, 中高 day, 頭高 day. You could also ask them to quiz you in real time as you practice, and I’m sure eventually you’ll start to get the difference! Once you have this sense, it’s just a matter of picking your standard (which is a tough decision), and being aware of pitch as much as possible.

I actually like the iTalki idea so much, I might just do it myself to make sure I haven’t fooled myself into thinking I got it! xD

EDIT: Also, Dogen’s patreon series has occasional “quizzes” where he will say random things in different patterns (sometimes they are not real words) and you can practice in that way. You could adapt that idea and do it with tutors as I mentioned.

1 Like

This is definitely acceptable for now! Clear that up for sure, and then when you are in the right headspace for a new undertaking, pitch accent is certainly something to consider!

1 Like

I totally agree with your point and justifications of why pitch accent is important, for having experienced funny misunderstanding moment with my teachers because of bad pitch accent. However I don’t think one should include its studying since the beginning of his study. I firmly believe in the ‘+1 rule of Tofugu’ stating that it is more efficient to gradually increase the difficulty of what one learns by small steps rather than trying to learn very comprehensively new difficult stuff at once. To me, pitch accent seems difficult even just to hear and not as fundamental as knowing adequate vocabulary and correct grammar to be understood. But I think I will later try and work this specific aspect of Japanese, even if it’s only to be able to play on words (which is already super easy in Japanese thanks to the many homophones).

Here is an introduction to this topic on Japanese ammo with Misa: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k-bk_4WvY58

5 Likes

She accidentally make a case for ignoring pitch accent altogether. If your japanese has nothing resembling pitch accent and you just speak with foreign accent there is no room for misunderstanding really. You can embarrass yourself only if you use wrong pitch not if you don’t use it at all.

Pitch accent is one of my big failing points, because I’m partially deaf and I rarely hear the difference between two unless I’m literally looking at the word and being told “go up here and down here”, which… isn’t really a thing in conversation :sweat_smile:

I do want to work on it more though, it’s just a little exhausting because of the effort it takes me to be able to pick up on it (and yes, hearing takes a lot of energy, even if most people probably don’t think so!). It’s on my List To Work On When The Time Is Right And More Important Things Are Squared Away First™.

7 Likes

Oh, if you remember the experience, it would be great if you could share!

I think it’s great that you’re planning on taking it up eventually! I don’t think there’s too much harm in putting it off for a few months.

I will say, though, that the basics are incredibly simple and very beneficial. You could probably learn about the word-level pitch patterns in 10-30 minutes. If you use YomiChan, adding pitch information to both the pop-up display and the Anki card (if you use Anki integration) is a breeze.

After that, it’s a matter of making it a point to observe what you’ve learned as much as possible until it sticks. I don’t think one needs to focus on producing correct pitch, at least not at first. But at least being able to understand feedback on pitch would help even beginners a great deal.

To that end, here’s a 10-minute video by Dogen that explains the pitch patterns.

And here is part 1/2 of a Japanese native’s explanation, which I think is a bit more detailed:

After watching the second part as well (or just the Dogen video, honestly), along with the right tools and an attitude of trying to be cognizant of it (i.e.: learn a word while looking at its pitch pattern, see if you can hear it when you play the audio of that word), that would be more than enough to get a valuable start without much strain or sacrifice.

But when it comes to the more advanced rules, like how pitch changes in conjugation, and the general trends in pitch (that have plenty of exceptions), that can be left for later for 100% sure, so I’m on board with you there.

4 Likes

Hey, even just being aware of the pitch pattern as you learn it is awesome! The basics + cognizance is more than enough for a strong start. Basically, everything I just said in my reply to @MZa, but to you. xD

3 Likes

She indeed says pitch accent is important (but it is not accidentally for her part) but also that since it is difficult it should be studied at advanced level.

Actually I wonder how much pitch accent is important. My teachers rarely correct me on this despite me not paying attention to this point while speaking. But there may be many reasons to this: my pitch accent may be great (very very unlikely), they are too polite to pinpoint my mistakes, they don’t think it is a point I should work at my level,… Well, maybe it is a good topic to chat about with native speakers. This may help to decide when to start improving this aspect.

2 Likes

In the only Japanese class I took (N4 level, I’d say), we’d get corrected on pitch occasionally. If I had known back then “ah, they’re telling me to use 平板,” that would go a long way in making it stick in memory more easily. I think I forgot all the pitch corrections they gave me :frowning: because I didn’t have the basics to even understand their corrections.

Also, I’d always be weary, thinking it was very possible that sometimes pitch would be ignored and other times it wouldn’t. Actually, I know this to be the case now in retrospect.

How often you correct foreigners accent?

I bet pretty much never. It is not important except in languages like Chinese. And because of that pitch is very clear in Chinese. In Japanese it is not.

When I will be at point that I will have nothing to study in Japanese then I will go after archaic Japanese, or some dialect. Far more useful.

1 Like

Indeed nearly never, because my native language (french) pitch accent is not important, because I almost never talk french with non native french speakers and because I am not in situations where I teach french to other people. So I am in a situation not at all like my Japanese teachers. So I don’t think I can infer something about the actual importance of pitch accent in Japanese from my personal case. To have an idea about this and a more concrete evaluation of it, maybe a good experiment would be to talk with a Japanese after asking him to raise his hand whenever the bad pitch accent makes difficult for him to understand, without interrupting the conversation. It could be funny as well as very informative.

3 Likes